Done with the inner spring mattress

ady17

Feb 15, 2016
Perth, WA
Thanks Wanda. That sku helped although it was the double size. I got the queen size for $125 usually $179. Will probably have to trim it down a little...by my measurements the bed is somewhere between a queen and double size.

Krissander

Jul 20, 2015
Gippsland
We struggled with innerspring aswell on 2011 expanda. We only have the front bed. Just eggshell didn't help so I got a mattress topper from a eBay kogan sale. 1000 density fill.
So with that on aswell we are finally happy. But you cannot fold bed up with it all on!!
If you are looking at toppers don't waste money on anything under 1000 fill. Cost about $100 in the end to be happy.

Reactions: ady17

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
If you are looking at toppers don't waste money on anything under 1000 fill

I noticed I never reported back after a week of actual use on our Kogan topper and its really great. I looked up the link to the one we bought and it said the density was 50D which was classed at medium. I dont know how that compares to 1000 density fill? It must be a different scale. On ours I can not feel a join or zipper and it makes a hard cheap mattress feel great

I can only guess ours is less dense as we can still fold it while in place.

Reactions: ady17

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
hi looking at a topper for both ends I have seen people are buying from Kogan and clark rubber does any one have a part number all info on each?

cheers

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@23chris the Kogan one we ordered is memory foam and we are happy. Link to it is a few posts back. We paid just over $100 but now they are $150 in link, so prices will go up and down a little depending on sales etc.

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
@23chris the Kogan one we ordered is memory foam and we are happy. Link to it is a few posts back. We paid just over $100 but now they are $150 in link, so prices will go up and down a little depending on sales etc.

Hi mate
did u do both ends?
what size did you go the queen and cut to size?

Podstar

Jul 14, 2015
Gippsland, Victoria
Went away in the van for 5 nights and slept on the new Clark rubber deluxe long finger mattress overlay and it was great.
Could not feel the center zip and the comfort was a very big improvement.

G'day Base23 - we have gone from travelling half way round Aust in our new Basestation from July to Oct last year and not really noticing the springs and zip in the mattress, to now going away for a few days to relax here & there and are now starting to really notice the uncomfortable'ness of the mattress.

I was wanting to know how your "...Clark rubber deluxe long finger mattress overlay..." has been going over the past 6 months.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
G'day Base23 - we have gone from travelling half way round Aust in our new Basestation from July to Oct last year and not really noticing the springs and zip in the mattress, to now going away for a few days to relax here & there and are now starting to really notice the uncomfortable'ness of the mattress.

I was wanting to know how your "...Clark rubber deluxe long finger mattress overlay..." has been going over the past 6 months.
Have slept on it now for 30 nights in total and we still love it.

Blip59

Oct 24, 2010
Perth WA
Agree that Perth has limited options and we where sick of the standard 3 piece mattress causing sore backs all round (we would alternate who slept on which side). We are building up the bed base so it is flat to allow a mattress with a centre join...so no one gets the zip. A 2 piece mattress from a new Expanda was $630ish from Caravanland. I couldn't find a manufacturer that would commit to making an innerspring as thin as we needed.

In the end, 2 high density foam caravan singles from Clarke Rubber, with a latex topper fits perfect. It is nice a tight fit so there is no noticeable join in the middle. Very comfy and makes folding the bed end up much easier. Couldn't be happier
we are looking to do the same would appreciate any specs you could send our way

benmat

Jun 2, 2014
Perth, WA
we are looking to do the same would appreciate any specs you could send our way

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of info on the bed end set up and we don't have a van anymore.

I got some pine from Bunnings and made a frame in the same pattern as the factory metal one. We used a long level to ensure we got the right height measurement. Took the measurement with the under storage cupboard doors on still as we re-used these.

We made up the frame, dropped it in and screwed it to the metal frame. Trimmed the doors and they worked as per normal.

2 caravan single mattresses from Clarke Rubber are a tight fit, but they do fit with no issues on a 17.56.2. They also had latex mattress toppers on special when we went in, so it was good timing.

I was inspired by this old post which has some pics in it: http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/our-2008-12-37-bed-reno.2129/

For a few hours work, best change we made. We travelled for 6 months with no issues or discomfort what so ever.