Done with the inner spring mattress

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Go BellaB. You told em alright. So was it a scathing letter to Jayco? What dept did you send it too.
Love your work!
Cheers Deano

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
folks I have a brand new expanda and was not happy with the front innerspring or foam mattress. hence I have decided to spend some big money and get custom unit made to suit my sensitive back.

Anybody looking for a brand new front innerspring as well as a foam mattress both are on eBay, just search on Jayco expanda. going very very cheap.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Well after our fourth short trip in the new expanda we have made a call to get rid of that inner spring mattress before we end up with bad backs forever.
Looking at the van I am seriously thinking of raising the front boot height to be the same height as the fold out bed. That way I can get a mattress that is the same thickness throughout.
And I am not convinced yet that an inner spring is necessarily what we want.
We may go back to foam or latex. If we go for foam I am going to see if we can achieve a single sheet that can just fold in half for storage when the bed is folded up.
Anyone one else finding their inner spring mattress is less than perfect?

Brad I know it's a while ago but did you ever sort out the boot level so you can have one thickness of mattress? Did you go back to foam? Ours has collapsed and need to replace mattress. Unfortunately in Perth we don't have many mattress manufacturers to choose from. Our old foam one in previous expanda was great.
Cheers Jenny

benmat

Jun 2, 2014
Perth, WA
Agree that Perth has limited options and we where sick of the standard 3 piece mattress causing sore backs all round (we would alternate who slept on which side). We are building up the bed base so it is flat to allow a mattress with a centre join...so no one gets the zip. A 2 piece mattress from a new Expanda was $630ish from Caravanland. I couldn't find a manufacturer that would commit to making an innerspring as thin as we needed.

In the end, 2 high density foam caravan singles from Clarke Rubber, with a latex topper fits perfect. It is nice a tight fit so there is no noticeable join in the middle. Very comfy and makes folding the bed end up much easier. Couldn't be happier

Reactions: bigcol and Wanda

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Agree that Perth has limited options and we where sick of the standard 3 piece mattress causing sore backs all round (we would alternate who slept on which side). We are building up the bed base so it is flat to allow a mattress with a centre join...so no one gets the zip. A 2 piece mattress from a new Expanda was $630ish from Caravanland. I couldn't find a manufacturer that would commit to making an innerspring as thin as we needed.

In the end, 2 high density foam caravan singles from Clarke Rubber, with a latex topper fits perfect. It is nice a tight fit so there is no noticeable join in the middle. Very comfy and makes folding the bed end up much easier. Couldn't be happier
Interested to have a look at your bed situation. Any chance of PM and we can have a look.
Cheers Jenny

ady17

Feb 15, 2016
Perth, WA
After our maiden voyage in our 2012 Expanda last weekend, I have been interested to read how people have overcome the uneven bed situation. Initially I was on the smaller section but the lovely wife swapped with me as she is smaller than me. After getting 2 thirds of the bed I didn't see the issue any more!;)

Reading a few threads on this forum it seems that most people have been using foam based toppers (eggshell or memory foam). Does this seem right? Has anyone used a polyester or non foam topper like this MYER Topper? They have 30% off at the moment so seems like a good deal.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Hi @ady17 , yes we have the usual 'Myer type' bed topper. I bought a really good quality ($$$) one and have been using it for at least a year and while it makes the large section of mattress comfy, whoever sleeps on the zipper side, me, still has an uncomfortable nights sleep. By the third night I've had enough. I have just purchased a foam egg crate topper and am hoping this will improve things. The sales guy at Clark Rubber recommended a firmer one, surprisingly not the softer top of the range one, he said it may not help hide the dip of the zipper quite as well as the the firmer, cheaper one.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I just bought one of these from Clark rubber. Have not slept on it yet but if feels good to lay on.
2016-04-05 15.58.34.jpg

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Looks just like mine @Base23 , except I didn't get the 'long finger' one. Hope I've made the right choice :confused: . Mine, too, is not yet used. It's laying on the floor of the spare room, filling out and airing out before we put it in the van.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
We are heading away for 4 nights from tomorrow so will try out our Kogan memory foam one then. Link is above in prev post. Will post back after a few nights sleep but from a quick test it improves the mattress 100%.

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
We fitted and egg shell mattress topper and a mattress protector to ours. Even added some extra high density foam under the large section of the mattress so it sat more level (It felt like it sloped down towards the tow hitch). Unfortunately we can still feel the zip join :( Its better than it was but i can see myself sorting something else out before our next big trip. Ok for a couple of days.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Over the weekend we got to try out our new Clark Rubber egg crate foam mattress overlay. We still left the pillow top mattress protector on that we have been using which has helped a little bit but not near enough. We placed the egg crate overlay on top of that and directly under the fitted sheet (and as recommended,fingers up). It was a little weird to lay on at first but we soon got used to it and YES, it certainly improved the comfort of the bed. While the zip is still noticeable it is much, much more comfortable. :sleep:

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Went away in the van for 5 nights and slept on the new Clark rubber deluxe long finger mattress overlay and it was great.
Could not feel the center zip and the comfort was a very big improvement.

ady17

Feb 15, 2016
Perth, WA
@Wanda do you know the model # of the mattress overlay you got from Clark rubber? They are on special this week and I will be lining up!
Also, is your matress split 50/50 like the newer ones or 3 fold 60/30/10 ish like the older ones (mine!).
Thanks.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
@Wanda do you know the model # of the mattress overlay you got from Clark rubber? They are on special this week and I will be lining up!
Also, is your matress split 50/50 like the newer ones or 3 fold 60/30/10 ish like the older ones (mine!).
Thanks.
Comfort Deluxe Mattress Overlay, printed next to the bar code it has SKU-40711. Apparently it is firmer than the 'long finger' model,or so the guy that helped me explained. I told him what I wanted it for and that is what he recommended.
We bought the double size which fits perfectly, original price $159 but got it on special for about 25% off. Our van has the 60 - 30 -10 split mattress so the mattress (for me!!!) has been quite an issue. We have removed the skinny bit (10%) of mattress that sits along the outer edge, it's much easier to change the sheets and the bedding has somewhere to hangover the edge.

Last edited: