Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I thought it was about time our Expanda moved with the times and with nearly everyone elses Expanda on the forum :)
With our trip away at the end of September planned I ordered some LED lights for the interior of the Expanda. I was looking at some on Ebay in Hong Kong which I purchased and with a delivery time to suit our trip.

The problem was I ordered the lights but I'm not sure if the seller had two simultaneous adds but the delivery times were different and I ordered the ones that would arrive when we were away :violin: Oh well we have never had them before so it didn't matter to much.

Anyway I had a chance to fit them yesterday and I am very impressed with the light they disperse. We also use to just have one globe on the twin lights through the centre of the Expanda to save power too so there is a massive improvement.

The multi fit kit
001.JPG
I fitted new 3m Tape to the new light for extra insurance
002.JPG
The new and old difference
003.JPG

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Well done, CD. You'll notice the power savings when free camping, as well as the brightness. Did you do the grab handle light as well? That's the one that annoyed me the most as it got really hot to touch. Different fitting but I got an auto led globe to fit.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
No mate I didn't do any outside lights as yet. Honestly we dont usually use that light to much anyway but your right it does warm up.

Alot of our camping is free camps which we can usually get 3 nights without loosing power so the leds will help evenmore. Thats with no solar (yet :)) We didn't have it on the OB Hawk either.

Even just the advantage of a cleaner light will be a bonus.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey CD, i too had 3M tape on mine however it did not hold after the lights had been on for a bit of time - it basically shrivelled up and came loose. I ended up putting a dob of silicon on each corner along with new tape to hold them in place. Good so far. :)

Ants

Thanks mate I'll do that.They were actually left on last week for 3-4 days straight 24 hours a day (didn't realise) and I thought I'd take a look to see if they were still on, and they survived but travelling will be the real test.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
What is everyones thoughts on this folding panel, it will be used just for a top up on the longer trips and not always taken with us. We dont' sit to idle for long so the battery will also get sumplemented from the anderson plug via the Cruiser.

Is it suitable?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-80W-Folding-Kit-Solar-Panels-Monocrystalline-Module-12V-Camping-Caravan-/190656772093?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item2c640777fd
Yes CD. Had 60w from same place with my Flamingo. Twice the price a few years ago. No problems with it at all. Used a couple of those little plastic cable clips to stop pinching leads in hinge when folded up. Fitted an extension cable with Anderson plugs /sockets to run to an Anderson plug fixed under the van and connected to battery via 12v aux input on charger. Eventually made a sturdier carry bag by cutting down a heavy duty suit bag from an op shop.

Reactions: cruza driver

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Should be fine CD, We use a similar model (but 100W) but we ran 4 days bush camping without using it on our last trip and I hadn't fitted my LED's then (I have now). In fact LOTO says it is no point taking it south with us as we will not be bush camping more than 3-4 nights at any one time.

Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks XF and CR, much appreciated.

I know I have just fitted the LED"S but I thought it looked like a good price for a foldable 80w, so I might give it a go.

My original plan was to hardwire a solar panel but I might go this way instead

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks XF and CR, much appreciated.

I know I have just fitted the LED"S but I thought it looked like a good price for a foldable 80w, so I might give it a go.

My original plan was to hardwire a solar panel but I might go this way instead
Lets you park in the shade and put the panel in the sunlight, too. My roof mounted set-up was about $2K all up. My summer site has no shade and the rest of the time it still gets more than enough power. Would go for a second battery if you feel you need more power at a later stage.

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Cruza Driver thanks for the hard work,I have just ordered the 80w folding solar panel, hope to put a outside plug
on van, this will give me the option of plugging it into Tractor,wifes mower,or the quad.thanks again for dowing the ground work.

Shiraz.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
No problem Shiraz. :thumb: It seems like a good deal and the free postage was appealing

Well I ordered the panel this morning and fingers crossed it will arrive on or by next Tuesday.
Thanks again to XF and CR for there help. Also thanks to Electric Guru and Capt. Gadget for answering my questions too :high5:

I also sent the seller a message about the reg output which they answered straight away and it comes in at 14.7v.
Just waiting for the posty now and I will change the plug to an anderson plug to suit the Expanda

:tea: Cruza

Reactions: Antman

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I was wondering what type of plug it came with and if it could be change to an Anderson. :)
Cheers CD!

Mine came with aligator clamps which i replaced with Anderson that plugs straigh into the van, i also got an Anderson 10mt extension lean made up so i could move panes to direct sun, works a treat!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well 2 days after ordering the panel the Posty knocked on my door with my Solar Panel under there arm. Now thats good service if you ask me :cool:

It came with a 5m cable and alligator clamps but I'll change them to an anderson plug and at the same time make up an extension cable if required.

001.JPG 002.JPG

003.JPG 004.JPG

006.JPG