Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
If it came with alligator clips on it, does that mean it will charge any battery you connect them to?

Lizard

Yeah I think any type of lead acid or AGM type battery but you may have trouble with you hearing aid battery ... I said HEARING AID! Bwa ha ha ha just a very little joke. Anyhow I may wander over to the solar panel thread as I am curious about using these things.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I've just cut the aligator clamps off the cable that came with the panel and replaced them with an anderson plug. It now can be plugged into the Expanda's anderson plug when needed.

I also left enough cable hanging out of the old clamps so I can fit and anderson plug on there to make the panel more universal to charge batteries that dont have an anderson plug. My next job will be to make up and extension of around 5m to give a total length of
10m of cabling.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I've just cut the aligator clamps off the cable that came with the panel and replaced them with an anderson plug. It now can be plugged into the Expanda's anderson plug when needed.

I also left enough cable hanging out of the old clamps so I can fit and anderson plug on there to make the panel more universal to charge batteries that dont have an anderson plug. My next job will be to make up and extension of around 5m to give a total length of
10m of cabling.
Hi cruza, you can but a 10m extension lead online from www.homeof12volt.com.au there are some other 12v sites that have them too but i cant remember the names! i have the same set up and it works great!
Cheers

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Hi cruza, you can but a 10m extension lead online from www.homeof12volt.com.au there are some other 12v sites that have them too but i cant remember the names! i have the same set up and it works great!
Cheers

to add to this I took the expanda into "homeof12volt" at Mt Barker friday had Anderson plug fitted plus a meter to see the charge of battery,and was told the Panel i bought was not waterproof.bit miffed by this will have to email seller.
shiraz.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Here is the Solar Panel in its natural habitat. It was charging even when overcast, I can't complain about that and for the price too.

028.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
to add to this I took the expanda into "homeof12volt" at Mt Barker friday had Anderson plug fitted plus a meter to see the charge of battery,and was told the Panel i bought was not waterproof.bit miffed by this will have to email seller.
shiraz.

That's strange, I'm sure Jayco could fix that with their silicon gun :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I know innerspring mattresses are a hot topic of discussion on the forum and what people do to make them more comfy or even get custom ones made. It was also a talking point at the High Country forum meet up :) Some have also been replaced under warranty.

We to tried an egg foam shell overlay to some success but not total success. We have done or fair share of trips in the Expanda and the mattress lets say had collapsed to the point it was very uncomfortable. We rang a local Jayco dealer who said there is no more foam matresses available only the innerspring. Our rear bed is foam so I knew thats what we need for the front.

I then received a PM from Brad saying he had a brand new foam mattress and would I be interested in it. I didn't have to think to long and after some measuring and a few more PM's it was decided it would fit but it would be a tight squeeze as the boot in the 18' is wider than the boot in our 16'

After picking it up last night I had a chance to fit it today and yes its a tight fit (I may trim it yet) but it is vast improvement on the old one and the other bonus its a lot lighter too :whoo:

So once again Brad for the chance to take it off your hands and I can't wait to get away and try it out :sleep:
(iPhone pics)
012.JPG 013.JPG

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Glad it fits. I can see it what you mean by tight fit. You can see it bulging out at the front.

Yeh it's tight but much better than the old one :cheer2: I will see how it goes but may trim it yet. I have left it set up and will see how it sits in a day or so around the couch and buffet.

Thanks again mate :thumb: and it was good to meet you and your family and have a great Xmas

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I know innerspring mattresses are a hot topic of discussion on the forum and what people do to make them more comfy or even get custom ones made. It was also a talking point at the High Country forum meet up :) Some have also been replaced under warranty.

We to tried an egg foam shell overlay to some success but not total success. We have done or fair share of trips in the Expanda and the mattress lets say had collapsed to the point it was very uncomfortable. We rang a local Jayco dealer who said there is no more foam matresses available only the innerspring. Our rear bed is foam so I knew thats what we need for the front.

I then received a PM from Brad saying he had a brand new foam mattress and would I be interested in it. I didn't have to think to long and after some measuring and a few more PM's it was decided it would fit but it would be a tight squeeze as the boot in the 18' is wider than the boot in our 16'

After picking it up last night I had a chance to fit it today and yes its a tight fit (I may trim it yet) but it is vast improvement on the old one and the other bonus its a lot lighter too :whoo:

So once again Brad for the chance to take it off your hands and I can't wait to get away and try it out :sleep:
(iPhone pics)

Looks good I guess the bulging foam could just be seen as a bit of protection from legs hitting the side when getting into bed. :)!!!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I love our foam matress with egg shell and sheepskin cover. I find it way more comfortable than our bed at home even.

I hope this will be the same for you CD.

Nice work Brad!:)