Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Trip report starts on the previous page :)
A few more pics from Sheepyard. I think I'll organize an Expanda meet up here too so stay tuned.
Camping sure is hard work
115.jpg
The Howqua River a perfect spot on a hot day
109.jpg
Friendly locals who appeared when the dinner was cooking
113.jpg
After packing up on Sunday we took a quick trip over to Frys Hut for a look even though we have been there dozens of times it is a top spot to check out
129.jpg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Great stuff, Cruza. It seems you are quite prepared to use your van as often as possible and have some great spots to visit close by. Keep up the good work. :humble:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
If there is an up side to being back from holidays, then its that i get to read your posts again Cruza. Great pics mate!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
If there is an up side to being back from holidays, then its that i get to read your posts again Cruza. Great pics mate!
Thanks mate it was good to get the Expanda out again it had been a nearly a month :thumb:
Great pics and report as usual CD,, Good to see Bell taking it easy :biggrin1:
I think she wore herself out swimming in the river most of the afternoon

Great stuff, Cruza. It seems you are quite prepared to use your van as often as possible and have some great spots to visit close by. Keep up the good work. :humble:
Thanks chartrock I'll keep posting them up as I enjoy reading others trip reports also.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After this trip was planned about 6 months ago we were keen to finally head away on our 4 day 3 night trip down to Wye River along the Great Ocean Rd which is approx halfway between Lorne and Appolo Bay. There was 5 families in total on this trip and it was good to all catch up again, we all go away a couple of times a year to a different place each time.

The weather was a bit up and down with each day varying between blue skies and drizzle but that didn't dampen anyones time away. We stayed at the Big 4 which is on the banks of the Wye River, we found it to be a very clean park with a newly opened amenities block, camp kitchen and the usual cp facilties.

The beach at Wye River is overlooked by the pub which is a great spot to sit back and relax and take in the view of the cars snaking there way along the Great Ocean Rd whilst the waves roll in.

A lunch spot along the GOR at Urquhart Bluff just out of Anglesea with plenty of parking for vans
007-4.jpg
The famous GOR is a one trip everyone should do
012-2.jpg
The GOR hugs the southern Victorian coastline
016-1.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
On Friday morning while the sun was just rising above the ocean I headed down to the beach for some photos. With not a breath of wind and the sun rising it was stunning. The beach is right across the rd from the CP.
041.jpg

032-1.jpg
The hamlet of Wye River
033-1.jpg

071.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Our campsite along the Wye River
019.jpg
One of the friendly locals who gets around the CP and not to worried about who's following
048-1.jpg

070.jpg
We covered about 480km for the weekend and look forward to the next trip.

Thanks for looking :yo:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Agree with Bushman, CD. You know how to make me jealous. Another spot for the bucket list. :yield:
If you get a chance CR make sure you check it out there is plenty to do and see in the Otways, we are going to make a bit more of an effort to do some more exploring down that way. We normally head towards the High Country.

Sorry for making you jealous but Victoria is a pretty good place to live :tinfoil3:

If you do head down this part of the country let us know and we might have to organize a forum meet up :thumb: we might even let Bushman join us :p

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Your are so quick with your trip reports mate.

Wye River was a nice suprise for us on our VIC trip, one we were not expecting. I found Apollo Bay and Lorne too big and comercial for us. But Wye River was nice and small and quiet (we were there mid week so had the whole park to ourselves).

I'll have to finish my dodgey trip report now.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Well today is 12 months to the day since picking up our Expanda :cheer2:

It has been to 4 states and covered nearly 12,000k's ranging from trips down to the beach, the Victorian high country,the Murray River and a trip to Central OZ. Some of these place were more than once too.

It has been a great van so far with lots of memorable trips already done with plenty more to come :dance:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Great stuff bud! :first:

Keep the photos coming, inspiration for the rest of us to use our vans more.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I spent last night in the Expanda once again, I decided to head back to Rubicon as it had been 10 months since our last visit here. It is between Thornton and Taggerty.

Here are a few pictures of what can be seen in the area. A mate also came along to do some exploring in the surrounding hills.
The nice grassy campgrounds with drop toilets, there are 2 campgrounds we stayed at Kendalls A
056.jpg
The Rubicon River
041.jpg
The Weber Q made its 1st outing too
054.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Care needs to be taken when exploring the area especially on weekdays due to the log trucks so use ch39 to hear where they are.
One part of the Hydro scheme that was built in the 1920's that use to power 1/5 of the state. It is still operational today due to its low and ecomomical running costs
090.jpg
Then it was onto some more infrastructure of the Hydro scheme
093.jpg
An old trestle bridge that was part of the rail track that weaves through the hills
109.jpg
You can see the bridge in the background of the water gate that can close the aquaduct
113.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We finished the day off with a trip up to Morris Lookout that is seasonally closed. The track up is rutted and has a couple of switchbacks but wasn't to challenging, but in the wet it could be. We took Herbs rd that runs along side the Rubicon River.
115.jpg

123.jpg
View overlooking the Eildon township (you can also see Bluegums CP)
117.jpg

119.jpg