Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After a quick pack up in the morning it was a quick trip up the road to Kings Canyon and time to tackle the rim walk which I had done a previous visit. It didn't dissapoint with beautiful weather with the sun reflecting off the walls of the canyon and changing colour as the sun crossed the sky. The 6km walk took us 3hrs to complete including lunch at the halfway mark.
928.jpg

925.jpg

927.jpg
If you dont have time to do the rim walk you can walk up the centre of the canyon
081.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Day 18 saw us driving towards Yulara for 2 nights but before getting there we stayed at a road side stop just before the Mt Conner lookout. We had a few mice running around again like at Kings Creek but not as bad as earlier in the trip. It was a 145k trip in the morning from there to Yulara where we got to at around 10 am before heading out to the rock.

When we were at the rock the climb was closed due to high wind but a few people decided to climb it anyway with the rangers waiting at the bottom for the return. It was very windy down the bottom so I could only imagine how windy it would've been at the top and by the way they were holding the climbing chain I think they were regretting there decision to climb!!

The weather was spot on till day 2 there when the sky opened up which enriched our visit there for the chance to see water running down the face of the rock. On our last trip there we didn't have a cloud in the sky so to see it like that was very impressive.

We also did a trip out to the Olgas in the rainwhich was also spectactular!
Day 1.
181.jpg
Day 2 we awoke to this which rained nearlly all day but I'm glad it did
197-1.jpg

200.jpg

210-1.jpg

Reactions: blacky

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Here is a few pics of the Olgas also we didn't spend to much time out there on this trip as we were in awe of the water running down the rock
216.jpg

245.jpg
Note the small bit of sunshine peaking through the clouds onto the wall of the Olgas
244.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After leaving the NT behind it was onto another road side camp north of Coober Pedy which we had a frost at overnight yet a beautiful starry night was overhead. At Coober Pedy we stayed for 2 nights doing an underground mine tour which involved a demonstation of some mining equipment which was very interesting. We also went out to the Breakaways and Dingo fence.
403.jpg

332.jpg
One small area of the photogenic Breakaways
377.jpg
The famous Dingo Fence
423.jpg

Well thats my last installment done and dusted!!! It took longer than the holiday, well almost LOL.
A big big Thankyou for looking and posting up your comments and if anyone has any questions about our trip I will try and help answer them for you. I hope I didnt bore everyone.....

In short I was very impressed with how well the Expanda handled the trip and would not hesitate towing it throughout that area again. The advantages over the Outback Hawk we had previously was the absolute ease of setting up and packing up which is a real bonus in my view of trips like this. We tend not to stay in the one place to long although we did 7 nights at Alice but that because we didn't want to leave HAHA.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We seem to forget how beautiful it is in the outback till you see those photos and remember your past trips and you just want to get back out there !

thanks again cruza

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well done, Cruza. We have seen the rock but not in the wet. You have wet the appetite for another trip out that way. Thanks for a great trip report.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Ahhhh...kings canyon. One of my favourites when me and the missus went up there years ago - especially lunching in the Garden of Eden and a little swim in the water hole there....

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hey CD,
just finished your thread and update. It brought back plenty of memories for me as we did most of the same places last year on our way home from up north.
It truly is a spectacular country.
BTW. The dust patch on the rear hatch is from the plastic they use to cover the Expanda decal prior to delivery. Mine did that too!!!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ahhhh...kings canyon. One of my favourites when me and the missus went up there years ago - especially lunching in the Garden of Eden and a little swim in the water hole there....
Thanks sd it sure is a little oasis so we saved our lunch till then also like on our previous visit and it was just as awesome.
Hey CD,
just finished your thread and update. It brought back plenty of memories for me as we did most of the same places last year on our way home from up north.
It truly is a spectacular country.
BTW. The dust patch on the rear hatch is from the plastic they use to cover the Expanda decal prior to delivery. Mine did that too!!!

Thanks Matty, your right it sure is spectactular up there also because it is so different to what we have down here and the sun changes the colour of the landscape continuously.

The dust patch yeah I didnt think about the decal cover causing that. I have polished the van 3 times since getting it so I'm surprised it did stick so well. We did have a slight frost the night before taking off that morning so I put it down to the lid being thicker there so the fibreglass might have been colder and still wet when we took off but your explanation is probably right. :high5:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
great pics and your van is just like ours except we didnt get the o/b
just wondering where you got the outside table looks great
thanks jim
G'day Jim I ordered the table with the Expanda as a factory option. There is a few different companies that do manufacture them that could be retro fitted, it sure does come in handy.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Come on mate time for another adventure to read about to brighten up my days, I love your posts :first: