CIL Insurance reply!! STAY AWAY!!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I'd say a good result for the people of expandas downunder and their persistence.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
But it still says 'As always, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for more information about your policy coverage.' Remember I had a letter from them too last year which was later debunked. Until it is changed in the PDS, it means nothing

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Just called CIL and a very robotic operator had explained this site had made them alter their PDS due to amount of calls from expanda owners. Informed that PDS will be altered and mailed out to all policy holders,though in the meantime for those policy holders both existing and new will have covers from theft through canvas ends due that the bed is part solid material build from manufacture,BUT the clincher is you need to call so it can be a record of conversation and typed out within your policy they hold electronically on their database.

So,I guess here comes the second or third barrage of calls to them as I wasn't informed when the revised PDS will be posted out. Cheers Pace.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Emailed CIL yesterday and received the response below:

Thank you for your email. I can confirm that it this does extend to all customers who own Expanda caravans.

I can certainly advise you of the following information as well. It is a standard letter that we are forwarding.

I appreciate and acknowledge all your concerns regarding the level of coverage on your Jayco Expanda caravan.

As we have received some feedback about this issue we have been liaising with our legal and claims department to ensure we are providing our customers with the correct information.

Both departments have confirmed that our policy will allow for theft to be covered from these caravans, even if entry has occurred via the expandable soft walls. As long as the caravan has some hard wall components then our policy covers you for theft of contents. In this instance, this means that your contents is covered. As always, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for more information about your policy coverage.

I hope that this provides you with much more peace of mind in terms of cover on your new Jayco Expanda. Please call us on 1800 112 481 to go from quote to cover. We are available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 5pm AEDST.

Kind regards,

Sharyn

Sharyn Watt
Sales and Service Consultant CIL

Phone 1800 112 481 Facsimile 1300 298 514
Email: cilsales@cilinsurance.com.au
PO BOX 384 Gosford, NSW 2250

/QUOTE]

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
Hi I rang CIL and explained my concerns about the ambiguous nature of the PDS as it really isnt clear that it covers expandas or anything with canvas ends. I asked them for something in writing and below is what they sent me as they took care of me very well when I nearly burnt down my van I wanted to give them the chance to make me comfortable so I could renew with them. So in short Expandas are covered camper vans are not - lucky I moved from my flamingo :)

"I appreciate and acknowledge all your concerns regarding the level of coverage on your Jayco Expanda caravan.

As we have received some feedback about this issue we have been liaising with our legal and claims department to ensure we are providing our customers with the correct information.

Both departments have confirmed that our policy will allow for theft to be covered from these caravans, even if entry has occurred via the expandable soft walls. As long as the caravan has some hard wall components then our policy covers you for theft of contents. In this instance, this means that your contents is covered. As always, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for more information about your policy coverage.

As a valued CIL customer, I hope that this provides you with much more peace of mind in terms of your insurance policy."

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Timely advice solterb. Their PDS still leaves a lot to be desired.

will not cover
theft or attempted theft from your caravan or your
annexe if:
it does not have hard walls, or
it is not securely locked, or
there is no physical evidence of forcible and violent entry.

Anyone with CIL should probably do as you have done and get it in writing.

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
The not so clear area is the "have hard walls" and they are saying the the expanda has hard walls and is therefore covered. Could be argued either way. Anyway they have confirmed so I am comfortable. Now I just need to see how they stack up against AAMI and GIO.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just my 2 cents worth, For me personally the theft of contents issue is not a major factor in me choosing to be with CIL as I have far better cover with goods away from my home in my Household Home & Contents insurance for me whats more important is being covered if my Van is written off in an accident or if the van is stolen

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi Jeff

Could you post a link to that PDS. The only one i can find is here and it still clearly states on page 28......

What we do not cover

We will not pay for:
. repairs that are done without first getting our written consent.
. the cost of repairing damage not caused by the accident or event you are claiming for.
. theft or attempted theft from your caravan or your annexe if:
* it does not have hard walls, or
* it is not securely locked, or
* there is no physical evidence of forcible and violent entry.

Thanks

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
On the 2nd of September I sent CIL's facebook page a message enquiring about insurance cover for an Expanda with the bed ends extended and the pop-top open. I received a reply on the 27th of September stating that they will make enquiries and get back to me. Today, 7th of October, still no answer!!! Guess they are just not that interested in my business. :noidea:

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Boots33, having another look, seems they have changed the PDS on their website, again
Wanda, added my bit to that query on their FACEBOOK page

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanda

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
I have emailed CIL as per their request on their FACEBOOK page, will await a response
Received auto response from CIL advising they will repsond within 2 business days

Got a response to my query.................

"Both departments have confirmed that our policy will allow for theft to be covered from these caravans, even if entry has occurred via the expandable soft walls. As long as the caravan has some hard wall components then our policy covers you for theft of contents. In this instance, this means that your contents is covered. As always, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for more information about your policy coverage. "

It will never stop the argument whether to insure with CIL, but I hope I never have to claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wanda