CIL Insurance reply!! STAY AWAY!!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Checked all my emails and nothing received :)!!!
Probably coming by snail mail with a bunch of roses. Like them all, they're only fast when it comes to taking premiums...nothing else has a priority.
Must realize how much business & $$$ they have already lost though, and how many of us were not going to renew.

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
well they better hurry up and change it because i am about to jump ship just before i go on holidays in December the only reason i have been slow doing this is because i have not made the time to do it yet ................ but i will

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I actually spoke to CIL today on a completely different matter but threw this in at the end.

They said they would not being making a press release of any kind which I thought was strange???

But they did state they are covering expandas and advising customers of this when signing up.

So looks like they are aware of the issue, they are covering expandas but will not make an official press release.

Thought you all may be interested.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Expanda,
They told me they wouldn't cover them if expanded. no problem if all locked up and I think they need to put something in writing now. Not worth the risk I reckon. The PDS certainly is an out for them at the moment.

jas

Bill3660

Nov 18, 2012
I was at the Bendigo RV and Lesiure show on Sunday and asked the question about covering our new expanda at the CIL stand and was informed that they are covering expanda's and that they are contacting the forum as they understand there is an issue - as a new member well done to all of the members for raising the issue. I have also contacted AAMI for a quote.

Bill3660

Nov 18, 2012
When I said I would not use them as an insurer based on reading the expanda forum the rep said a decsion was made in the last few days that coverage would include expanda's as they are 'mostly hard walled' and that 'they would be contacting the forum and I would read about it soon' not verbatim but pretty close

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
well they better tell there operators on the phone i can confirm as of today that is not the case
i told a friends dad about it on the weekend so he rang them today as he thought he was covered and they said that they do not cover the canvas and they don't know anything about it
so they need to get the act together and stop talking crap at least give the right info out be where of them

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
Even if they do change their policy now they have lost so much business over this, a little late I think.

The old story, it's much easier to keep your current customers than it is to find new ones! Why change a policy only after you've lost most of them?

Mr Magoo

Nov 18, 2012
Bendigo
I too have contacted CIL regarding insurance and was told that I would not be covered for theft if access was through the canvas bed ends or pop top. I decided to go with another insurer who would cover regardless of van being expanded or closed. I did mention this to our dealer who was very surprised given they push CIL as there prefered insurer. They contacted them but I do not know the outcome.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
For me I am looking forward to next years Melbourne caravan show.
I can't think of a better place to spread the word as I wander from van to van talking to salesmen and potential new customers to CIL.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Are we talking contents here or damage to inside from forced entry? I was amazed to find my AAMI policy covered contents, if I could get a discount and not have contents I would, personally never trust anything valuable inside a van. I want the cheapest policy to cover fire theft or damage.

If there policy exclude damaged caused by break in that sucks.

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Hi all
Just got off the phone to CIL and have been assured that expanders are covered, a mix up with the wording of the policy.
quote from operater "If the van has any hard walls at all you are covered. campervans with no hard walls are not. This is from our legal team."
They will be changing the wording in the policy because of all the feed back and confusion between consumers and operaters.
I agree with achjimmy, found CIL $20 cheaper then AAMI, will see what happens now.

regards
Tony

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
There was no confusion when I spoke to them, they clearly stated that caravans with any canvas on the walls or even canvas on the pop top would not be covered for contents if broken into via the canvas, they would only cover an Expanda if it were completely closed. Sounds to me like they have finally listened to their former customers and back tracked on their policy. I found AAMI almost $100 cheaper, but I do have all of our policies with them now.

albo42

Sep 18, 2012
Canberra
same here - AAMI was cheaper for me ($550 for $38,750 cover) and tried and true after a house burglary - with a quick and generous cash payout

Oct 13, 2012
Hi all, I requested from CIL for something in writing to confirm that the Expanda will be covered in the event of theft through the canvas bed ends. I got the following response from CIL today confirming I would be covered:

Dear David,

Thank you for your email.

I appreciate and acknowledge all your concerns regarding the level of coverage on your Jayco Expanda caravan.

As we have received some feedback about this issue we have been liaising with our legal and claims department to ensure we are providing our customers with the correct information.

Both departments have confirmed that our policy will allow for theft to be covered from these caravans, even if entry has occurred via the expandable soft walls. As long as the caravan has some hard wall components then our policy covers you for theft of contents. In this instance, this means that your contents is covered. As always, please refer to the Product Disclosure Statement for more information about your policy coverage.

I hope that this provides you with much more peace of mind in terms of cover on your new Jayco Expanda. Please call us on 1800 112 481 to go from quote to cover. We are available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 5pm AEDST.

Kind regards,
Theresa Sheppard
Sales and Service Consultant, CIL

Phone 1800 112 481 Facsimile 1300 298 514
Email: cilsales@cilinsurance.com.au
PO BOX 384 Gosford, NSW 2250

Good news too as the quote for the expanda was well priced as $580 per year, not too shabby at all for $38K cover plus $1600 for annexe $1000 contents on a 17-56.1.

Cheers.