CIL Insurance reply!! STAY AWAY!!

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Thank you for your email.

I have read the November 2011 email from CIL Insurance, which you also provided, and confirm that the information provided in it by our staff member wasn’t accurate. CIL Insurance strives to answer all cover questions accurately, and we will make contact with the attached email’s writer to clarify their query.

I can certainly clarify for both you and the online forum’s readers what our CIL Secure Caravan Insurance Policy (‘Policy’) does and does not cover, in relation to theft of contents from expandable-style caravans. The insurance cover we provide is set out in our Policy’s Product Disclosure Statement, which is available on our website at cilinsurance.com.au. The contents cover we provide is explained on pages 25 to 32. The discussed exclusion in relation to expandable-style caravans is found on page 28. It reads:

What we do not cover

We will not pay for:

· Theft or attempted theft from your caravan or annexe if:
o It does not have hard walls, or
o It is not securely locked, or
o there is no physical evidence of forcible and violent entry.

Also, page 55 of the Policy defines the term ‘hard walls’ as:

“hard walls” means a wall that is not made of canvas, vinyl or similar materials.

In circumstances where a theft of contents occurs from a caravan which does not have hard walls, as at the time of the theft, then our Policy does not provide cover. Taking the example of a Jayco Expanda, when the bed area is expanded, the material on the outer side of the caravan at that time would not be considered a ‘hard wall’ under our Policy. The reason our policy excludes theft in these circumstances is because the risk of a theft is greater when a canvas wall (or similar) is the only barrier to the inside of the caravan. Whilst we accept that it would take forcible entry, say by way of slashing the canvas, to obtain entry, the ease with which such entry can be made is relevant. To confirm, page 28 of our policy does not require forcible entry via a ‘soft wall’. Rather, any theft of contents from a caravan which is not composed of all hard walls at the time would not be covered.

So, for example, if a claim was made for a forcible entry theft of contents from a locked Jayco Expanda, when the bedding area wasn’t expanded, our Policy would cover the insured level of contents. Compare this to a forcible entry into via the expanded bedding area of the same caravan; our Policy would not cover that type of theft.

I appreciate that our Policy’s limited cover in relation to the theft of contents in these circumstances may disappoint some owners of expandable-style caravans. It is however important to understand that every caravan insurance policy does contain limitations and exclusions, and that these do differ between insurance products in the market. The policy premiums we charge are calculated on a large number of pricing factors, and the scope of cover offered is a pricing factor for our product, as we need to ensure that the premiums received are adequate to pay out the claims our insurance policies promise to cover. CIL Insurance does offer a comprehensive policy designed to meet the needs of most caravan and recreational vehicle owners. Our Policy’s Product Disclosure Statement explains what we do and don’t cover, and we always encourage anyone interested in our cover to take the time to read this document, to understand the limits of our cover.

I also note that in your email you mention that our salesperson promoted purchasing additional contents cover for an expandable caravan. Whilst the policy exclusion above exits, our contents cover does extend to many other events apart from theft. For example damage due to fire, storm, flood (but not actions of the sea) and road accident, including if your expandable caravan rolled over whilst being towed and your contents were damaged.

CIL Insurance will consider the present wording of its Policy and may review it in future. We therefore thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Should you have any questions about CIL Insurance’s cover, please contact me at via our website, and attention your question to me.

Reactions: expanda and Ligedy

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Good one Pieter, ripper of a question. They may not have been worried about losing the expandas but losing all the pop tops will be a different matter. They are now between a rock and a hard place. Cannot wait for the answer.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
It's like saying we will insure your car, but if it's got glass windows you won't be covered because someone might smash your window.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
........or more to the point, a convertible car with a soft roof!

Wonder how car insurers view them?

Anyone in Vic got a better insurer? Love to hear about it!

Given that Jayco is the biggest caravan manufacturer and the Expanda is their most popular product, it seems a great way of killing off business. Just proves they must have good management...completely out of touch with what happens outside their tiny world. Probably affects a KPI or two!

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
........or more to the point, a convertible car with a soft roof!

Wonder how car insurers view them?

Anyone in Vic got a better insurer? Love to hear about it!

Given that Jayco is the biggest caravan manufacturer and the Expanda is their most popular product, it seems a great way of killing off business. Just proves they must have good management...completely out of touch with what happens outside their tiny world. Probably affects a KPI or two!
AAMI was fine in Vic around the same price and fully covered

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
When my Dove was stolen and returned by the police, i did not like the assessment of the damage by one company. AAMI allowed me to source another i was happy with and authorised the repairs promptly. I was very pleased with the process and outcome.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Time to take a look at AAMI then I fancy!

I'll be sure to let CIL know why I changed. If memory serves most JAYCO dealers push CIL too, which is how we first came to be with them. Be sure to let them know as well.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
Found a few people with AAMI insurance so rang for a quote, I organized cover with suncorp on Friday but have a few more days to shop around before I pay.

Hit a snag with AAMI to be aware of, seems to be a QLD thing. They would only allow $500 contents insurance and wouldn't allow me to increase. I have asked all companies to quote on $1000 contents. Then they tell me there's a $400 excess that would apply, so basically no contents insurance. he did tell me the excess varies depending what state you are in apparently SA was the lowest, think it was 200 or 250. For a second we were moving to SA, but only for a second.....:smile:

There premium was a bit over $100 cheaper though.

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
The reply from CIL in regards to POPTOP van's!!!

I confirm that the CIL Secure Caravan Insurance Policy would be applied consistently in relation to any caravan which did not have hard walls at the time of the claimed theft. Therefore if it was established that a theft of contents took place from within an expanded ‘pop-top’ caravan, the policy’s exclusion on page 28 would operate.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Good work Pieter. I had the same response from Suncorp regarding the poptop vinyl even though its like 30cm of vinyl and who could crawl through that anyway. They said if it was popped at the time of theft then no cover.

Im with AAMI.

Cheers
Ants

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
I got told the same as andrea ants, waiting for my policy documents to arrive in the mail for the new van. Went to have a look at the pds online and it wasn't there. Will have to wait for mail.
Would be interested in what you find in your pds Andrea?

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Ant, really??? They cover the annex contents and the canvas entry... Off to re-read the policy.

Hey Andrea
I read the policy and it sounded good so I rung them. They had to call me back but confirmed that it would not be covered. This was after i had taken the insurance and paid the premium as i needed cover to drive the van home. So i cancelled the policy on them and they would not even budge at that.

I wish these insurers would get their info / wording correct and cut the legal jargon crap because the way i see it is that even they don't understand what they are covering.

I should add, AAMI don't cover it either but they were $45 cheaper.

I am waiting on NRMA to come back to me at the moment. Reason for looking again is that i had my Prado insurance come up and NRMA was $350 cheaper than QTMB and AAMI with multi policy discounts.

Ants

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Jas, it's part of the motor vehicle one. It makes mention that the carvan and annex aren't covered if there is forceable entry.... If entry to a locked vinyl or canvas annex is covered than how couldn't the insure forced entry via a vinyl pop top. Much more difficult than an annex. The policy states nothing about hard walls and the suncorp underwriters told us our canvas ends were covered as it's the same materials as an annex. You know, I really don't care about the contents insurance .... I just want to know that the damage this kind of incident causes is covered.

Bazza

Oct 31, 2012
Caloundra
I pick up a new van on Friday and am glad I read this post. It seems what I was told getting a quote from CIL is different then what I'm reading here. I'll look a little more and go with someone else.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I pick up a new van on Friday and am glad I read this post. It seems what I was told getting a quote from CIL is different then what I'm reading here. I'll look a little more and go with someone else.

Hi Bazza and welcome to the forum!
Congrats on the new Van, what are you getting?

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
hi all i rang around a few companies today best quote was from RACV only $9 p/m dearer than CIL, will cover theft with both the pop-top up and beds extended. also offer $1000 contents cover as standard. The lady i spoke with asked why i was looking to change companies i explained what has been said on this forum and her reply was " Oh your with cil aren't you.