Exterior Changing the ball hitch height

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh forgot to mention @Dean Anderson , cool diagram in that post.......................used to find air bag suspension on the truck would get me bogged or spinning wheels on slick stuff way easier than old style springs, less downward weight it seemed equated to less traction. Most annoying.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
So with Jtech suspension, and assuming the hitch is a static point the below occurs @Macca_75 and @Drover (cause you like the diagram:) ). (Not to this degree of course).
upload_2017-2-15_14-33-35.png

With a Single axle or leaf spring rocker tandem it can't and doesn't occur respectively, and with J-Tech suspension it is more important to have your van level.

Last edited:

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
@Dean Anderson - I would imagine the springs on the rear would be carrying more load than the springs on the front. The front wheels don't leave the ground, but would carry less weight.

If you lifted the hitch point enough you could transfer all the load to the rear set and lift the wheels as per your diagram I guess.

If someone had portable scales I could test it (weight distribution - not lifting the wheels).

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
By rights the weight on the wheels shouldn't increase as the body moves on the suspension but you have lifted the pivot point so the CoG would move and since the weight is lower at the back a swing could/would develop, who knows but if you lift the draw bar high enough to cause a transfer of weight and lift to an axle you would be actually applying force to the draw bar and it would bend...
Thats why you should never use the draw bar as a lever to lift the van as with removing springs/axles etc.

I can attest to the fact that a vans bum as it gets closer to the ground will start to wander if it's nose is in the air..............something to do with physics I believe or just poor loading ??????

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
@Herbertclan have you had the recall check done of the Prado's cast iron towbar? Had ours checked and passed but wasn't confident with the dealer's lack of knowledge on the subject so bit the bullet and fitted a HR bar to mine.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/prado-120-tow-hitch-recall.3897/
To be honest I'm not sure, but I bought the car from my work and know the guy who drove it before I got it and know it did have a recall of some sort. Recall or not I just don't like the design and given we are planning to use the van close to full ATM changing the tow bar seems like cheap piece of mind.

Cheers Max,

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
I could be on the wrong track here but to my way of thinking (independent suspension) the load on the rear has to be greater through shear design when the van is not level. The only way you make the spring compress is by increasing the load.

No idea what the ratio is but when I was mucking about with my draw bar loads there was a bit of a weight penalty if I didn't have the van sitting level when all the weight was on the draw bar scales, this was with the leaf Spring tandem axle group. If my draw bar load is increasing then the weight has to be transferred from some where doesn't it??

I'm Certainly no suspension expert either.

Cheers Max.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
To be honest I'm not sure, but I bought the car from my work and know the guy who drove it before I got it and know it did have a recall of some sort. Recall or not I just don't like the design and given we are planning to use the van close to full ATM changing the tow bar seems like cheap piece of mind.
If done the towbar "tongue" and user manual should have stickers on them stating not to use after market WDH's....
After getting under and seeing what the "so called" towbar looked like I booked mine in that same day to get the HR bar fitted!

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sometimes if you dig real deep you find the bars are made by HR anyway to the car mobs specs..............so really if the hitch fits the mount then all is good if the load cap is what you want.....................it should be the PIN that attracts all the attention, it's the weak link.

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Not sure if it helps as it's Toyota not Ford but they actually drop the tow rating a coupla hundred kg's when turning flipping the tow hitch, tow bar download stayed the same.

Got a 'Towing Guide' with the new HiLux, didn't get one with my 2011 Prado.

20170219_114431_resized_1.jpg 20170219_114413_resized_1.jpg

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Hi all,

I'm looking to add a similar spacer. My question is should I use a solid aluminium block to save weight or use a steel block?

Cheers

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi all,

I'm looking to add a similar spacer. My question is should I use a solid aluminium block to save weight or use a steel block?

Cheers

In theory alluminuim should be fine. What concerned me when I made mine was if you should get the slightest fretting between the two surfaces the alluminuim will wear quickly and your hitch will come loose! If all surfaces where machined no worries but the hitch is only linished flat and the plate at the drawbar is black steel unmachined So I thought alluminuim was unsuitable and made a steel one and then lightened right up.

Reactions: Delano and dagree

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
In theory alluminuim should be fine. What concerned me when I made mine was if you should get the slightest fretting between the two surfaces the alluminuim will wear quickly and your hitch will come loose! If all surfaces where machined no worries but the hitch is only linished flat and the plate at the drawbar is black steel unmachined So I thought alluminuim was unsuitable and made a steel one and then lightened right up.

Would it be possible to have a picture of the mod you have done?