Exterior Changing the ball hitch height

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey all,

20.64.1 OB model for below, hitched to a Ford Ranger PX wit 40mm EFS lift (Heavy duty springs in the rear).

I noticed on the weekend (we had the car and van parke on level road) that the van actually sits with the nose pointing up when hitched. My untrained brain thinks this is making the rear suspension carry far more weight than the front when towing.

I'm yet to take measurements but the rear of the car doesn't sag to much when I put the van on (my drive isn't level so I've never noticed it before). I'll have to take it for a drive and get some accurate measurements.

Anyway, I am thinking of unbolting the towball receiver on the van and getting a block made up to effectively lift the receiver away from the plate - I am thinking it will be in the order of 1-2 inches. This will drop the front of the van as I tow.

Has anyone done this before? Any pics or feedback on the size of the materials used? I am thinking of using a Gal RHS section and having plates welded on both ends so it can't pinch as I do the bolts up.

Thoughts?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
This is probably a silly question...but what the hell!

How is the tow bar tongue configured? Can it be reversed?

(Ours was horizontal bit either at top or base...can't remember which. ..for towing a Swan, then simply reversed when we collected the expanda..the dealer did it )

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Pic of the rig on level.................................................is the van hitch on the bottom of draw bar or top ????? You can get a 50mm alloy block which they use to raise the hitch or just go to a metal bashers and get them to cut and drill a block to suit, an full alloy block would give better support and be lighter than steel.

Rule of thumb is van nice and level, measure from hitch to ground, tug nice and level measure from hitch to ground and the tug should be 25mm higher than van, this when they are loaded of course, this as the theory goes usually gives a level set up or at least a base line to work from.

PS: it wouldn't put any more weight on your rear springs but can make the van sway more than usual.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
This is probably a silly question...but what the hell!

How is the tow bar tongue configured? Can it be reversed?

(Ours was horizontal bit either at top or base...can't remember which. ..for towing a Swan, then simply reversed when we collected the expanda..the dealer did it )
It isn't straight but thats the only way the instructions say to run it. Given its 300kg+ ball weight I'd rather not reverse it.
do you used a height adjustable WDH, if not could be answer
No WDH. WDH actually lifts the rear and transfer it to the front. Opposite problem. Setup steers fine and feels good so no issue there.
Pic of the rig on level.................................................is the van hitch on the bottom of draw bar or top ????? You can get a 50mm alloy block which they use to raise the hitch or just go to a metal bashers and get them to cut and drill a block to suit, an full alloy block would give better support and be lighter than steel.

Rule of thumb is van nice and level, measure from hitch to ground, tug nice and level measure from hitch to ground and the tug should be 25mm higher than van, this when they are loaded of course, this as the theory goes usually gives a level set up or at least a base line to work from.

PS: it wouldn't put any more weight on your rear springs but can make the van sway more than usual.
I'll try and get some measurments and pics but the receiver plate is on the bottom of the draw bar. I asked it be moved from the factory on build but was told no. On the outback thats where it is.

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
Is the utes towbar hitch up or down? My PX also has a 50 mm lift and tows our Journey outback quite level
14868735716751335577033.jpg

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
Thought about that but they actually say runnibg the tongue that way is a no no. I'm not game because we are towards to upper limit.
I actually think mine is the right way up, and have been told not to turn it over, not that I've ever had the need, especially with the lift.
Will do some research on this.

Reactions: Macca_75

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Just spent way to long on the HR web site. Nothing confirmed about which way up but does show pic of tongue one way and drawing spec other way. I would have expected if I mattered then it would be stated. Other sites have said they have confirmed with HR that can be used either way, many other forums have had this discussion and concluded it is ok. I know Holden genuine bars have an off-centre pin hole which stops you from flipping the tongue but this seems to be more a marketing idea to make you buy genuine tongues rather than a safety feature. You would think HR would do the same if unable to flip.

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
This is from ford accessories
Towpack LED Trailer Lights Compatible
lpicture&blobheadervalue1=max-age%253D1000&blobwhere=1249174201435&blobheadername1=Cache-Control.jpg

• Towpack with maximum towing capacity of 3,500kg ^
  • Rigorously tested to meet stringent Ford engineering Standards and Australian Design rules.
  • Does not require load levelling hitch
  • Price includes Towbar, LED compatible module, wiring & Towball
^Subject to State and Territory regulations

Part Number: AMAB3J19E538AF

RRP: $1,100 (inc. GST)*

* Fitted RRP (including GST) for Dealer fitted accessory at participating Dealers. Based on RRP for accessory, standard labour time & recommended hourly labour rate.

Reactions: Drover and G Daddy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if I get what your saying @Macca_75 your hitch is like this, and have been to (recommended) not to change it............

hitch upside down.jpg

the accepted usual way it is is this -

hitch general.jpg

either way is Legal
either way is as strong as the other

not sure who and why you were told you cannot change it........
curious