Burnsie's Prado 150

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
So I have finally got around to putting some info up about our tow vehicle another good old Toyota Prado 150.

We previously had a Nissan Murano but with the 3 kids getting to the stage where camping was on the cards we decided to upgrade and in the process added way too many modifications but hopefully it will now take us anywhere we want to go

So we started out with a new 2014 Toyota Prado 150 (Face Lift Model) and before picking it up it went straight over to the local ARB to get some mods added including the following

Prado Stock No Mods.JPG

- ARB Deluxe Winch Bar (Colour Coded)
- IPF HID 900 Driving Lights
- Safari Snorkel
- UVP (Under Vehicle Protection)
- Compressor (Engine Bay Mounted)
- WARN Winch
- Recovery Points
- UHF Radio
- 2inch Lift Kit (OME)

IMG_1980(1).JPG

IMG_2421_updated.jpg

We have had the Prado now for just over a year and during that time we have also added the following

-Tow Pro, Reverse Camera & Anderson Plug (For the Expanda of course)

IMG_2328.JPG

-Front & Rear Air Lockers
-Second Battery Install with Redarc BCDC & Voltage Meter

IMG_1588.JPG

-Electronic Rust Protection (CAT Systems)

ERP CATIII Systems.JPG

-Upgraded the Winch rope from Wire to Synthetic (With 3 kids this was a must....)

WARN Synthetic Rope.JPG

-Drifta Drawers & Cargo Barrier

IMG_1903.JPG

-Cooper AT3's

IMG_2361.JPG

-Scanguage

IMG_2351.JPG

-Roof Rack & Awning
-Diff Breathers
-Maxtrax Mounting System (www.4x4designs.com.au)
-Hayman Reece Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH)

As always there is something else you "have" to have so the list continues.......

-Clear View Mirrors (probably get just for the lap of Oz)
-Airbags
-Side Steps and Side Rails
-Redarc EGT Gauge
-Diesel Fuel Filter

The Prado is pretty much fully kitted out now ready for the "lap" next year but I am sure I will add more stuff :)

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
So was towing the small 7x4 trailer on the weekend and noticed some noise coming from the connection to the tow bar, the Toyota tow bar fitted comes with a bolt that can be screwed in from underneath to keep the square hitch from moving around too much had snapped off....

Anyone had this issue before, don't think it would impact on the vehicles towing options but might now be a bit noisier

Assume welding it back on will do the trick.......

Does anyone else use this additional bolt underneath or not bother?

Pictures from underneath the tow bar and also the guilty nut :)

IMG_2899.JPG
IMG_2902.JPG

Cheers

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@burnsie that bolt should only be used when "NOT" towing to reduce rattle.... Have heard of this happening before on different bars and vehicles when towing with it tightened up.

Don't think it'll affect usage of the tow bar but if you want to stop any rattles when not towing I would just get it tacked back on. If concerned about integrity of the metal after welding maybe take it to a tow bar fabricator and see what they say!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@burnsie that bolt should only be used when "NOT" towing to reduce rattle.... Have heard of this happening before on different bars and vehicles when towing with it tightened up.

Don't think it'll affect usage of the tow bar but if you want to stop any rattles when not towing I would just get it tacked back on. If concerned about integrity of the metal after welding maybe take it to a tow bar fabricator and see what they say!
Interesting. :clock: I've always driven and towed with it wound up tight but I can visualise with the extra weight of the van that it could push down on the bolt and break the nut. I have run it tight to stop the rattle of the goose neck in the tow bar.

Reactions: dagree and burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Anyone thought about or has done a GVM upgrade on their vehicle or more directly their Prado 150?

Been working out my weights and limits for our trip and it appears with the 5 of us plus all the stuff we will be close if not over our GVM for the Prado.

Been speaking with a local suspension place here in Perth and they have done a few Prado 150 GVM upgrades and also supply the new compliance plate and engineers report, all you need to do is then go over the pits so they can adjust the licensing info to the new GVM.

The upgrade does NOT increase your Tow Ball or Towing Capacity it only increases the weight allowed in the vehicle which is what I am after and does not affect how much you can tow. (Remains at the 2.5T for me)

For this vehicle the changes include the Springs and Shocks to a more heavy duty setup (Even more than my 12month old OME setup), there are places over east that also provide this upgrade but was interested to here if anyone else has done it or wants to?

Reactions: dagree

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Any chance you have towed with the Prado yet? Any fuel figures on it tow and no tow and is there a difference in acceleration when expanda is attached? I ask because I just drove the new 2.8L diesel and it didn't really seem to have much pickup. Acted like my prado does when I'm going up a hill pulling the expanda. I currently have the V6 but considering changing to the diesel.

Thanks
Doug

Corey MacDonald

Sep 14, 2015
Whyalla SA
Any chance you have towed with the Prado yet? Any fuel figures on it tow and no tow and is there a difference in acceleration when expanda is attached? I ask because I just drove the new 2.8L diesel and it didn't really seem to have much pickup. Acted like my prado does when I'm going up a hill pulling the expanda. I currently have the V6 but considering changing to the diesel.

Thanks
Doug

hi doug,

there is some lag when driving up hills, and overtaking. I drive to conditions but most of the time its about 105/110km. last time I checked fuel was just on 15l/100 and just returned from Adelaide 400km away and fuel was average 11l/100km. this is just what's on the dash computer. when overtaking and up the speed a little the diesel can handle it no worries, im very happy with the diesel

Reactions: bigcol

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth

Thanks
Doug

Hi @Doug yeah we have pulled with it a few times now, we did a 9 day trip down south last month and average was about 17.2L Per 100km, we had a tail wind at some stages and was getting down to about 15.4, so not too bad, we were going between 85-95km speed which helped

Reactions: Doug

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Hi @Doug yeah we have pulled with it a few times now, we did a 9 day trip down south last month and average was about 17.2L Per 100km, we had a tail wind at some stages and was getting down to about 15.4, so not too bad, we were going between 85-95km speed which helped

Those fuel figures sound excellent for a petrol. Cant wait to sign on the dotted line for a new VX or GXL :). They now come with a 6spd auto