Just Browsing Bed ends........ and cold..........

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I have been asked by SWMBO to pose the question to you guys.............

SWMBO sleeps on the outside of the bed(canvas side), while I sleep on the inside (van side)
she was complaining about the coldness that was evident through the vinyl that is at the bottom of the canvas on the bed ends.

the question is........(3 parts really)

have you noticed it,
have you found a way to correct it
or
not your problem as you dont sleep on that side..........

Haha Yes to all 3 !

I cut a piece of Aircell insulation to the shape of the end and fit it inside, makes a big difference

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
hey @bigcol I have a roll of that bubble wrap insulation that the Federal Government spent Gazillions installing (and another Gazillion removing) from house roof cavities a few years back. You welcome to it !!! High quality Government approved product .... can't get much higher endorsement than that :mad-3:

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
hey @bigcol I have a roll of that bubble wrap insulation that the Federal Government spent Gazillions installing (and another Gazillion removing) from house roof cavities a few years back. You welcome to it !!! High quality Government approved product .... can't get much higher endorsement than that :mad-3:

Might get too warm, didn't that minister have a massive hit song, something about burning Beds?

Reactions: Bluey

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

you Sir, are one kinky little bugga...........

I dont think SWMBO would appreciate being wrapped up in Bubble wrap -

a little like the Movie "Bad Boy Bubby"...........................?????

Reactions: Bluey

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
@bigcol I'm guessing you are already using flannelette sheets, we also use a flannelette quilt cover and find it much cosier than cotton. Like others on the forum we have removed the skinny bit of mattress but still use a queen size quilt so there is plenty of excess to push down the gap at the side of the bed. That said, Mr. W sleeps on the 'outside' of the bed and comments about some coldness that comes from underneath the mattress, even though we use a good quality mattress topper. We have been trying to come up with something (thin) to lay under the mattress on that 'outside' area to help insulate if from the cold. Perhaps something like that might help Mrs. bigcol stay warmer. Cheers, Mrs W.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Wanda sounds good - flannelette doona cover...........

I was thinking of a sheepskin - with the fleece facing downwards, under the mattress to help insulate........
not too sure...

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
@Wanda sounds good - flannelette doona cover...........

I was thinking of a sheepskin - with the fleece facing downwards, under the mattress to help insulate........
not too sure...
I picked up a new flannelette cover with 2 matching pillow cases a couple of weeks ago from our local Woolworths. Bargain, only about $30. I like the idea of the sheepskin, think I might give that a try too. We have an old one left over from when the kids were young. Thanks for the tip :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
you Sir, are one kinky little bugga...........

I dont think SWMBO would appreciate being wrapped up in Bubble wrap -

a little like the Movie "Bad Boy Bubby"...........................?????
I meant to put it against the canvas @bigcol :noidea:. But you have certainly taken my idea and ran with it directions I hadn't considered. Could you private message me with some of those "other ideas" you have ;)

(Sometimes its hard to tell the the difference between enthusiastic participation and trying to escape)

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I think the foam camping matt cut to size for sides and ends mite be a good idea slid between bed and canvas or has someone said that

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Wanda with our old Flamingo, they had wood for the bed base, so I had a plastic tarp cut down to go underneath the mattress, one of those silver one side, black the other.............. it kept the cold & moisture out

@Bluey - not a bad idea actually, she tends to keep away from the sides (force of habit from Tenting and getting moisture in), so something thin but dense (not me - I'm fat & dense) against the side may do the trick

@Mr Kinkmonster AKA @Crusty181 if I could remember what to do with the memories, I would write a short story for you

Reactions: Wanda and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
bit of an update of ideas..........

@Wanda has suggested Flannelette doona cover

@Capt. Gadget has suggested Aircell insulation

@Crusty181 (Mr Kinkmonster) suggested wrapping SWMBO in bubble wrap
(to do WHAT I have no idea.....(well I do, but dont have a TV in the Van to watch at the same time)......................... :o)
he also suggested a diesel heater - although in Wait Awhile I dont know why...........

@twscoot suggested those sun shades for the windscreen cut to fit

@Bluey also suggested the Dog - (not allowed on the bed)
or cuddling - (been married to long for that Bluey...........:o)
or an electric blanket - not keen on one of those
or one of those camping mat / mattress cut to size

@Mustang also suggested a Yoga mat (whats Yoga - Yoda's brother? crazy must be to do....)

@Gibson suggested going north - but we have been doing that for the last 20 odd years - I wanna go south for a change

@cruza driver suggested a single electric blanket for SWMBO side............

if I have missed any "plausible" suggestions, sorry, let me know so I can update

currently we have already fitted and in use..........
privacy screen (black mesh one) - stays on, so I use it
Jayco bed end covers - get fitted on once we park and start to set up
egg shell mattress thingy
mattress protector / cover
Flannelette sheets
thick flannelette blanket from top of bed frame to mattress