Just Browsing Bed ends........ and cold..........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have been asked by SWMBO to pose the question to you guys.............

SWMBO sleeps on the outside of the bed(canvas side), while I sleep on the inside (van side)
she was complaining about the coldness that was evident through the vinyl that is at the bottom of the canvas on the bed ends.

the question is........(3 parts really)

have you noticed it,
have you found a way to correct it
or
not your problem as you dont sleep on that side..........

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA

have you noticed it,YES
have you found a way to correct it YES....Sort of. Tried rolling up a blanket or towel and placing between body and vinyl (worked OK for a while until the towel fell over. Last night with a minimum of 1C I made sure the doona was tucked in TIGHT between me and the vinyl (Worked until I got up at 2 this morning and forgot to redo it)
or
not your problem as you dont sleep on that side.......... Currently my problem but that may soon change ;)

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Sorry! Not helpful. I used one of those fold up silver car sunshades at the head end of the Expanda and another along the outer wall. Seemed to make a difference.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
we tried a blanket coming down from the metal frame of the roof of the bed...............
and a blanket along the side of the bed

but SWMBO was still not a "happy Camper"

might look into those sunshades idea @twscoot

its not the head, or the foot ends that seem to be a problem, just the side of the body........

Reactions: jacbaz

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
@bigcol I made these covers which helped substantially, I'm actually the one that sleeps on that side. The other thing that definitely helped to insulate was the feather down mattress topper.

Az

IMG_00000152 (1).jpg

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I have been asked by SWMBO to pose the question to you guys.............

SWMBO sleeps on the outside of the bed(canvas side), while I sleep on the inside (van side)
she was complaining about the coldness that was evident through the vinyl that is at the bottom of the canvas on the bed ends.

have you noticed it,
have you found a way to correct it
or
not your problem as you dont sleep on that side..........
I go with option number 3. Not my problem! I make damon sleep that side (he's like a furnace, so I don't seem to notice. But, I do notice the cold at my feet . I just tuck the Doona in nice n tight and wear thick bed socks.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Another trick I tried last night was to drop the shade screens down inside the canvas bed end covers and seemed to make a difference (Double insulation ;) )

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Another trick I tried last night was to drop the shade screens down inside the canvas bed end covers and seemed to make a difference (Double insulation ;) )

do that all the time mate, they are there, they fit, so they both go on

I sleep on that side not a problem for me in the Victorian cold just cuddle and get her heat if not take a few small dogs if its a 2 or 3 dog night a few devreages can help

the dog would like that idea @Bluey , however, SWMBO wont let the dog on the bed when she is with us

I go with option number 3. Not my problem! I make damon sleep that side (he's like a furnace, so I don't seem to notice. But, I do notice the cold at my feet . I just tuck the Doona in nice n tight and wear thick bed socks.

twas just her upper body that was getting cold
we tried a blanket in between the wall and the frame holding the bed up, but she was complaining that the coldness was still getting through

what to do, what to do.............

Reactions: Smirke and dagree

Mustang

Feb 16, 2015
Melbourne Bayside
Diesel heater. I cant stop talking about it .... thanks @bigcol for the opportunity to mention once again ... I have a diesel heater. Ha. Sorry, what was your question?
How much for a diesel heater? I remember using one in a campervan in NZ a few years ago..it worked a treat..

In answer to the original question, I remember someone on here used those foam roll-up yoga matts around the canvas end for insulation...thought that was a pretty good idea..

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I am trying to talk Sarah into a Basestation.. Talk like she will freeze to death does not help :)
What about some foam against the wall to insulate? I assume you have to put some plastic on the bed end side in case it touches the canvas?
You probably be able to box something up to put in?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How much for a diesel heater? I remember using one in a campervan in NZ a few years ago..it worked a treat..

In answer to the original question, I remember someone on here used those foam roll-up yoga matts around the canvas end for insulation...thought that was a pretty good idea..
I bought the Eberspacher diesel heater kit. 2 ducts and the tank for $1700, but the Russian Planar brand is probably around the $1000 and pretty good by all accounts