9kg Gas Bottle

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My old Cruiser had a 100lt stainless steel LPG tank could only ever squeeze about 92lts in it I think, bottles can blow off if over pressurized, your petrol and diesel tanks are the same on a hot day they will expand and spew fuel everywhere...........

Having an LPG vehicle over 30 years ago I became fully aquainted with the LPG thing as I maintained mine, now I just swap or refill and don't care about the fiddly bits but always grab a nice bottle with plenty of years left....................... and it all depends on the price some places when travelling a refill is dearer than a swap, Lake Cargelligo comes to mind with something like 7 or 8 bucks difference, at the time I did some calculations and managed the rest of the stay and got to Bunnings in Griffith and swapped 2 bottles one empty, one with a few litres in it for the cost of one at The Lake............... Try to never get a refill at a garage by some pimply dingbat, just too scary.

Reactions: mikerezny

rags

Hence the reason for NOT leaving gas bottles in the sun getting hot and expanding the gas, especially if recently filled. I always throw a cover over any gas bottle I am using if it has the sun on it. I have noticed the level on the gauge attached to bottle goes up when bottle left in sun too.
And it is in part the reason why you regulator is required to be elevated above the cylinder valve.

• Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action

rags

As a comparison I have stood a 4 kg bottle against a 3.75 kg bottle. Both have the same diameter.
You can see the difference in size. Both from Bunnings but the larger 4kg one is no longer available.
The larger one weighs 6.3 kg when full at 80% and the smaller one is 4.8kg

I think this is like the Big Mac being shrunk, or the biscuits made smaller but price remains the same.

Attachments

• CFD2345A-9B3F-439E-BBF2-F3771EE3C893.jpeg
    CFD2345A-9B3F-439E-BBF2-F3771EE3C893.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: mikerezny

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Direct sun light what about on the draw bar DOH!!!!!!!
Good point @Bluey . I guess that is why the "exchange Swap 'n Go" is a safer? bet as those are supposedly properly filled to only 80% capacity leaving room for expansion. But those re-gassed at filling stations could easily be over-filled more than 80% , and when heated while in that condition, may cause a problem. Another good reason to make sure your gas regulator is positioned ABOVE the gas bottle/s as @rags said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluey