Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This is little push in bung I got this time @Boots in Action

IMG_20210808_134705.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I guess a lot of legislation is to protect them from themselves...and us!!!
I've not actually ever seen legislation that protected anyone, watching the news on any given night is proof of that, Mostly legislation is just to help explain what went wrong, assign blame, help with the fallout and provide the stupidity tax to prop up more Govt incompetence.

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
It must be working as there certainly seems to be an increase in stupid people living, breathing and breeding ................ Stupidity isn't culling the numbers like before.
Cockroaches will live thru anything, that applies to cockroaches in the insect world and equally to cockroaches in the human world. Dont mistake survival for intelligence

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I wrote this some time ago. I believe it is still relevant:
There is actually a virus much much more deadly than coronavirus.
It is called Stupidity.
It has already infected 95% of the population. Fortunately, the other 5% of us have absolute immunity. Although I do catch a mild version on occasions. Even better, those who are immune get more protection from mild bouts as they get older. This extra protection is often called wisdom!
Unfortunately, there has never been a cure for it. They have developed many potential vaccines, generally grouped as either education or experience, but they offer only short-term protection from the virus and have no effect at all on the worst cases.
The strange thing is that these vaccines have proven to be invaluable to those already with immunity. It greatly reduces the risk of catching mild but inconvenient bouts of the virus.
They have developed valuable tools to assist in determining if people have the virus. One even detects the seriousness of the infection. Here is how the test works:
The scientists install a useless politician in power who is badly infected with the virus and whose only skill is to keep getting elected. They then watch the population as this person make mistake after mistake after mistake and group those who still support them as being infected. Those who don't are classed as immune. This test is very accurate and seems to have no false positives or negatives.
The people who still offer the most support, and those who vilify anyone with a different view are deemed to be the most infected.
One sad and tragic side effect of this virus is that it opens the door to all other viruses. Those with this infection will go to great lengths to ensure the rapid spread of any other virus. One consequence is that, in doing so, eventually a virus is propagated that kills both those with the stupidity virus as well as those immune from it.
In fact, the current coronavirus, propagated by those infected with Stupidity, targets many elderly people even those with enhanced levels of immunity from stupidity having developed much wisdom.
This is indeed a most dangerous, stubborn, and clever virus.

take care
Mike

Reactions: Crusty181

rags

So I need to swap over the gas cylinders for mums BBQ today at Bunnings. I had purposely set the BBQ up A while ago with 4 kg cylinders as they are lighter for her to manage.
Off I go to Bunnings today to do the swap n go thing as both cylinders were way out of date.

The swap was $20 a cylinder but on the cage being open I was found all the small cylinders were only 3.75 kg and no 4 kg to be found. The new cylinder had a noticeable height difference between the 4 kg and 3.75 cylinder and aren’t a 85% of a full cylinder as is the case of how a 9kg cylinder is classified in the swap n go land as 8.5 kg.

All the cylinders seemed brand new and fitted with the latest required type 27 valve.

So off I went home with the 3.75 kg cylinders and though I have been ripped of of 1 kg of gas for no price reduction.
Looking at the Bunnings website it shows only 8.5 and 3.75 cylinders

• Angry
Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since there is no regulated sizing, the capacity of the bottles is rounded off hence the 9 or 4 kg, the gas companies if they advertised bottles as 9 or 4 kg they would be in breach of the weights and measures regs for that state as the most bottles won't hold that much liquid, with 8.5 or 3.75 kg of LPG being the capacity the will actually hold so in actualy fact one isn't being ripped off but actually paying for the amount of gas delivered whereby the refill by bleeding system will charge you for 9 or 4kg and you won't be getting it .

Years back when I read this info I had a few empty bottles so I noted the weights stamped on them and weighed them as well empty, got them refilled and found they didn't hold 9kg think they floated around the 8.4 to 8.7, swapped a couple and they actually had the 8.5kg.......................

Here you go: https://www.elgas.com.au/swapngo/ca...linder-sizes-dimensions-9kg-4kg-refill-price/

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just drove past Fraser Gas in MaryB, 8.5kg refill $22, 3.75kg refill $14.....

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
So I need to swap over the gas cylinders for mums BBQ today at Bunnings. I had purposely set the BBQ up A while ago with 4 kg cylinders as they are lighter for her to manage.
Off I go to Bunnings today to do the swap n go thing as both cylinders were way out of date.

The swap was $20 a cylinder but on the cage being open I was found all the small cylinders were only 3.75 kg and no 4 kg to be found. The new cylinder had a noticeable height difference between the 4 kg and 3.75 cylinder and aren’t a 85% of a full cylinder as is the case of how a 9kg cylinder is classified in the swap n go land as 8.5 kg.

All the cylinders seemed brand new and fitted with the latest required type 27 valve.

So off I went home with the 3.75 kg cylinders and though I have been ripped of of 1 kg of gas for no price reduction.
Looking at the Bunnings website it shows only 8.5 and 3.75 cylinders
Refill at Annconda its cheap if your a member we do it down here should be same there its very cheap they refill any bottle in test date swap and go anything

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Since there is no regulated sizing, the capacity of the bottles is rounded off hence the 9 or 4 kg, the gas companies if they advertised bottles as 9 or 4 kg they would be in breach of the weights and measures regs for that state as the most bottles won't hold that much liquid, with 8.5 or 3.75 kg of LPG being the capacity the will actually hold so in actualy fact one isn't being ripped off but actually paying for the amount of gas delivered whereby the refill by bleeding system will charge you for 9 or 4kg and you won't be getting it .

Years back when I read this info I had a few empty bottles so I noted the weights stamped on them and weighed them as well empty, got them refilled and found they didn't hold 9kg think they floated around the 8.4 to 8.7, swapped a couple and they actually had the 8.5kg.......................

Here you go: https://www.elgas.com.au/swapngo/ca...linder-sizes-dimensions-9kg-4kg-refill-price/
Thanks for that @Drover. It clears up a lot of inconsistencies in weights and capacities on gas bottles. But talk about the "tall and the short, the fat and the skinny" gas bottle types: I had a quick look at the bottles I have at the moment - some made in Indonesia, some in Australia, most in China and even one in UK, how I got that one I don't know!!

Here are the readings taken from the side of the gas bottles;
Tare..........6.25kg...... WC......9.6L Listed as 4.0 kgs
Tare..........5.66 EW...5.96......WC.....10.7L Listed as 4.0kg
Tare .........6.12kg.......WC.......10.9kg.........Listed as 4.5kg
Tare.......5.02..........WC......9.53L .......Listed as 4.0kg
Tare......9.55kg........WC......21.6........Listed as 9.0kg
Tare... ??? painted over.......WC21.6........Listed as 8.5kg (Swap and Go)
TM.....7.95...EW..8.35...TP..8.8........WC...21.6.....Listed as 9kg (Manchester original in van from Jayco)

Now that you have opened up how things are supposed to done, I am sure you can understand how ordinary people can get confused.

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I have two 9kg cylinders. I weigh them after each REFILL. The gas put into the cylinders has varied over the past four years from 9.8kg down to 8.3kg with 16 refills. It depends on how quickly the refiller turns the gas supply off.

The explanation for having swaps having only 8.5kg has been explained many times by the retailers over the years. It is entirely due to safety considerations related to the storage at the site related to large crates of filled gas cylinders possibly sitting out in the sun, especially in a somewhat more dangerous environment such as a service station.

Here is an excerpt from the origin energy website (my formatting and colouring):

LPG expands when the temperature increases and there are Australian Standards that set maximum fill levels for cylinders and tanks to ensure the gas has spare room inside its container to safely expand and contract. That’s why a gas bottle will never be filled to the full capacity it’s able to hold. LPG cylinders are filled to 80% capacity
LPG tanks are filled to 85% capacity if over 5,000 litre and 80% capacity if less than 5,000 litre.
A handy conversion rate to remember with filled cylinders is that
1 kilogram is approximately equal to 1.96 litre of LPG.

Here are the specs for the one cylinder I can easily get to:
TW: weight of cylinder without the brass fitting: 7.95kg
EW: empty weight of the cylinder: 8.35kg
WC: weight of water the cylinder can hold: 21.60kg (this is 21.6l of water)

Now, from the Origin website, 1kg of LPG has a volume of 1.96l. That means this cylinder has a capacity of 21.6 (litres) / 1.96 (litres/kg) = 11.02kg of LPG.
Given the safety margin stated by Origin, this cylinder is rated to safely hold 80% of 11.02kg = 8.8kg.

After one refill, it weighed in at 9.95kg of LPG. Over 8 refills it has varied between 8.75kg and 9.55kg.

take care
Mike

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi,
I have two 9kg cylinders. I weigh them after each REFILL. The gas put into the cylinders has varied over the past four years from 9.8kg down to 8.3kg with 16 refills. It depends on how quickly the refiller turns the gas supply off.

The explanation for having swaps having only 8.5kg has been explained many times by the retailers over the years. It is entirely due to safety considerations related to the storage at the site related to large crates of filled gas cylinders possibly sitting out in the sun, especially in a somewhat more dangerous environment such as a service station.

Here is an excerpt from the origin energy website (my formatting and colouring):

LPG expands when the temperature increases and there are Australian Standards that set maximum fill levels for cylinders and tanks to ensure the gas has spare room inside its container to safely expand and contract. That’s why a gas bottle will never be filled to the full capacity it’s able to hold. LPG cylinders are filled to 80% capacity
LPG tanks are filled to 85% capacity if over 5,000 litre and 80% capacity if less than 5,000 litre.
A handy conversion rate to remember with filled cylinders is that
1 kilogram is approximately equal to 1.96 litre of LPG.

Here are the specs for the one cylinder I can easily get to:
TW: weight of cylinder without the brass fitting: 7.95kg
EW: empty weight of the cylinder: 8.35kg
WC: weight of water the cylinder can hold: 21.60kg (this is 21.6l of water)

Now from the origin website, 1kg of LPG has a volume of 1.96l. That means this cylinder has a capacity of 21.6 (litres) / 1.96 (litres/kg) = 11.02kg of LPG.
Given the safety margin stated by origin, this cylinder is rated to safely hold 80% of 11.02kg = 8.8kg.

After one refill, it weighed in at 9.95kg of LPG. Over 8 refills it has varied between 8.75kg and 9.55kg.

take care
Mike
Hence the reason for NOT leaving gas bottles in the sun getting hot and expanding the gas, especially if recently filled. I always throw a cover over any gas bottle I am using if it has the sun on it. I have noticed the level on the gauge attached to bottle goes up when bottle left in sun too.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hence the reason for NOT leaving gas bottles in the sun getting hot and expanding the gas, especially if recently filled. I always throw a cover over any gas bottle I am using if it has the sun on it. I have noticed the level on the gauge attached to bottle goes up when bottle left in sun too.
Hi @Boots in Action,

I also avoid leaving them in direct sunlight. The same with those small canisters used in the portable stoves.

take care
Mike