9kg Gas Bottle

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Concur with Boots, Gas or 240, there are a few informative threads on here about 3 way fridges which cover all the bases as well as a chance to have a laugh...... Should be a label on your fridge which will tell you how many Mj your fridge will burn per hour divide that by 400 which is about how many Mj in 8.5kg bottle, the answer will be how many hours the fridge will run on a bottle.
I have a bayonet fitting on my van but preferred to have a 4.5kg bottle so I could have a variety of positions for the barbie due to where screen , sun/wind etc .....

Also some threads on portable HWS units from those that use them.....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I don't know if other locations but $16.90 at Maryborough Bunnings yesterday, fat ones and slim ones, I asked if I could pick one out...... currently my racks are set for fatties so I go for them at the moment....... must say the push in plastic bungs are absolutely useless if you accidental turn on gas they pop off...

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I don't know if other locations but $16.90 at Maryborough Bunnings yesterday, fat ones and slim ones, I asked if I could pick one out...... currently my racks are set for fatties so I go for them at the moment....... must say the push in plastic bungs are absolutely useless if you accidental turn on gas they pop off...
All the plastic bungs that I have had, or was forced to produce, when filling up a 9kg bottle are the threaded type and left hand thread at that. Don't think that they would blow off if gas turned on, although a gas leak possible. I think they are now a safety requirement and they also keep the crap out of the connection. Same thing required for 4kg bottles if the large POL is the attachment point.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have come across the push in caps before in Victoria, they are really just a dust cap, same as you got on oxy and other bottles, might still do, I prefer the screw in type, have a few stashed away they are also good for various other things like bunging up heater hoses.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I have come across the push in caps before in Victoria, they are really just a dust cap, same as you got on oxy and other bottles, might still do, I prefer the screw in type, have a few stashed away they are also good for various other things like bunging up heater hoses.
Gas filling places around here will charge you an extra $2.50 for screw in plug if you don't have one. Hence like you @Drover, I have a few spare ones around if they become detached from gas control knob.

rags

Gas filling places around here will charge you an extra $2.50 for screw in plug if you don't have one. Hence like you @Drover, I have a few spare ones around if they become detached from gas control knob.
Funny thing is the gas filling attendant will be concerned whether or not you have the safety plug but have no regard for the test date on the cylinder that maybe out of date.
ive recently filled 2 cylinders, both out of date at a cheap site in Nth Brisbane

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Funny thing is the gas filling attendant will be concerned whether or not you have the safety plug but have no regard for the test date on the cylinder that maybe out of date.
ive recently filled 2 cylinders, both out of date at a cheap site in Nth Brisbane
Never been that lucky @rags. The first thing I have found is they check the expiry date before they will do anything. I was given a 9kg gas bottle, bought brand new , filled initially and kept inside house, and was never connected or used for over the 10 year age limit. I have since used all the gas and unable to get it refilled even though is "as new condition". Would be better than any of the "Swap 'n Go" cylinders at the places with that service.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Never been that lucky @rags. The first thing I have found is they check the expiry date before they will do anything. I was given a 9kg gas bottle, bought brand new , filled initially and kept inside house, and was never connected or used for over the 10 year age limit. I have since used all the gas and unable to get it refilled even though is "as new condition". Would be better than any of the "Swap 'n Go" cylinders at the places with that service.
any cylinder that i have that comes near the age limit goes to the big green shed as a swap,you just leave them near the cage,pay for a swap and get an in date cylinder,(MOST TIMES) in alice springs we got a swap from the big green shed that was four years out of date ,found that out when we tried to get it refilled in Darwin,so we took it to the shed for another swap,i have never had them look at the date

rags

I didn’t mention the other part were the operator attendant proceeded to connect up my two bottles as well as another persons, proceeded to fill all 3 simultaneously(from different cylinders) and then went off to serve people at the counter of the servo all whilst the cylinders are filling unattended.

I have a few clues around LPG but it did alarm me and knew when it was time to screw the bleed screw back in before attendant returned.
In any case I’m happy to return there as the gas fill is under $20 normally

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Was at one small place they asked me if I knew how, said I had filled a few hundred, I then filled quite a few bottles for their customers and did all mine which cost me nothing, have no idea of legallities but all filled correctly and even showed them how its supposed to be done......... I have no drama with the ELGAS or Origin Swap and Go bottles , its not worth their while to have dodgy or out of date bottles, just ask any CIG place what happens if they slip on compliance, we are talking 6 figure losses..... same regs ...... at least I know they are full as i prefer scale load than a spitting valve.

Have had some dumbo look at the original stamp, its out of date he said but when the new stamp was pointed out didn't know it was a new test stamp thumped in the shroud...duh.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Get out the engine stamps, find a lonely symbol or code on the bottle and stamp away month one side and year the other. Instant re-test, and good for another 10 years (..... or so Ive been told ;) )

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
any cylinder that i have that comes near the age limit goes to the big green shed as a swap,you just leave them near the cage,pay for a swap and get an in date cylinder,(MOST TIMES) in alice springs we got a swap from the big green shed that was four years out of date ,found that out when we tried to get it refilled in Darwin,so we took it to the shed for another swap,i have never had them look at the date
Agreed @poor but proud about the "Swap 'n Go" exchange places. They never worry about date stamps at all whenever I have had to use that service. I should have made it clearer that I was referring to the gas refill stations. They are a different matter! Might have a go at what @Crusty181 said as not a mark on bottle!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I didn’t mention the other part were the operator attendant proceeded to connect up my two bottles as well as another persons, proceeded to fill all 3 simultaneously(from different cylinders) and then went off to serve people at the counter of the servo all whilst the cylinders are filling unattended.

I have a few clues around LPG but it did alarm me and knew when it was time to screw the bleed screw back in before attendant returned.
In any case I’m happy to return there as the gas fill is under $20 normally
I would be "alarmed" too @rags if someone just walked away while filling just one bottle, let alone three!!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bottle can be immaculate on the outside but is rotting away on the inside, always that small bit of moisture plus you get a new valve on a re-test bottle, when I'm travelling off grid mine rotate at least once a month anyway and sometimes you don't have a choice............

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Agreed @poor but proud about the "Swap 'n Go" exchange places. They never worry about date stamps at all whenever I have had to use that service. I should have made it clearer that I was referring to the gas refill stations. They are a different matter! Might have a go at what @Crusty181 said as not a mark on bottle!
I've seen the so-called bottle testing facility in action, and that's a dude with a spanner and a torch surrounded by empty bottles. Valve out, torch in, new valve in, and stamped .... and then its good to go at almost the same price as a new bottle. Based on that if the valve aint leaking, my results are the same

Grandpa Gunna

Dec 29, 2020
Northern Tablelands NSW
26 odd yrs ago worked in a general hardware store in regional NSW. We used to fill gas bottles, sold dynamite and cut glass. No safety training like today, (or regulations like now) shown once how to do it all that was it.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
26 odd yrs ago worked in a general hardware store in regional NSW. We used to fill gas bottles, sold dynamite and cut glass. No safety training like today, (or regulations like now) shown once how to do it all that was it.
Maybe @Grandpa Gunna , but times have changed. The "legal eagles" these days are keen to lap up money from clients, so that they can create litigation to claim recompense on anything at all!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Isn't legislation grand, some can't live without it, dictating what must be done and have the dogs on a leash ready to go yet if you dig deep enough things like changing a light bulb or fuse can become something you technically need a licence for..... refuelling, changing a tyre all come with a lot of safety regs, wise ones but could be onerous if fully applied...... Hands up those who turn off their 2 ways, phones, WiFi GPS , tablet etc when they drive into a garage ...............
So going by everything I'm safer getting a swap than a refill, as they say " One flash and your Ash ".... in the RAAF I did a half hour show an tell at local gas works on how to fill bottles so I didn't blow myself up but I think they were more concerned we might blow up the SGTS Mess ......................

• Love

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Isn't legislation grand, some can't live without it, dictating what must be done and have the dogs on a leash ready to go yet if you dig deep enough things like changing a light bulb or fuse can become something you technically need a licence for..... refuelling, changing a tyre all come with a lot of safety regs, wise ones but could be onerous if fully applied...... Hands up those who turn off their 2 ways, phones, WiFi GPS , tablet etc when they drive into a garage ...............
So going by everything I'm safer getting a swap than a refill, as they say " One flash and your Ash ".... in the RAAF I did a half hour show an tell at local gas works on how to fill bottles so I didn't blow myself up but I think they were more concerned we might blow up the SGTS Mess ......................
Very well said there @Drover !!!! Common sense went out the window some time ago!! But there are idiots out and about and I guess a lot of legislation is to protect them from themselves...and us!!!