StarCraft 17:58.3 Mk11

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey @achjimmy, van looks great, and some great ideas for mods. Have a question if you don't mind, just wondering the weights if possible, ball, tare etc. Saw one today at Bayswater Jayco... I had a list of options fairly similar to what you have on your van except for a bike rack on the back. As we have a Pajero and just thinking...

Cheers for in advance
greynt

No worries @greynt but Iam sitting at the airport awaiting to go to to Tokyo so can't help you till next weekend mate sorry. Perhaps one of the other guys can chime in? I towed our old Expanda with both the NT Paj and the cruiser. This tows better and doubt the Paj will have any probs with a SC 17:51-3 tbh. Do like we did and get the spare front and back them lose the front :) more than allows for the sh1+ you put under the bed.

Reactions: greynt

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Thanks mate, all good. Have a great time away. If you wouldn't mind at your leisure when you get back and let me know.

Cheers

halbster

May 13, 2014
Hi @greynt, I have 17.58.3 similar but not entirely the same as Jimmys and tow it with NW paj 3.2 auto. My van has a max ball of 192kg, and ATM of 2370kg. I'm new to this so don't have anything to compare to, but the paj does "ok". You won't win any drag races with the van attached but we cruise fine at 100k or 110k no worries. Passed plenty of patrols and hilux towing vans and camper trailers last week so think it's doing fine. Sorry for jumping in your thread Jimmy. And @greynt if your thinking about it 17.58.3 is a great layout for family of 4 and is very comfortable.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Thanks everybody for your replies, appreciate it. Was thinking after having a look at the outback version at Jayco Bayswater on Saturday. The boss is a little concerned about how cool the pop top will be after having a full sized van.
Can someone please let me know if there is a led light in the front boot as i thought i read it somewhere.
I will say that we are planning a reasonable holiday this year and weighing up whether to keep our current van or change to the 17.58-3OB

I have a list of options similar to @achjimmy, would appreciate any other ideas/thoughts -

Extended drawbar
16" wheels
Truma air, (would prefer air command sparrow)
Bigger fridge, weighing up on compressor version v's 3 way
picnic table
Bike rack for back of van
TV antenna
TV bracket
Basic stereo
drifter panel
External shower
Extra outdoor light above outdoor shower
Maybe extra water tank?
Extra solar panel and battery
Divider curtain for main bed?
Extra external powerpoint

Cheers
greynt

Reactions: cruza driver

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks everybody for your replies, appreciate it. Was thinking after having a look at the outback version at Jayco Bayswater on Saturday. The boss is a little concerned about how cool the pop top will be after having a full sized van.
Can someone please let me know if there is a led light in the front boot as i thought i read it somewhere.
I will say that we are planning a reasonable holiday this year and weighing up whether to keep our current van or change to the 17.58-3OB

I have a list of options similar to @achjimmy, would appreciate any other ideas/thoughts -

Extended drawbar
16" wheels
Truma air, (would prefer air command sparrow)
Bigger fridge, weighing up on compressor version v's 3 way
picnic table
Bike rack for back of van
TV antenna
TV bracket
Basic stereo
drifter panel
External shower
Extra outdoor light above outdoor shower
Maybe extra water tank?
Extra solar panel and battery
Divider curtain for main bed?
Extra external powerpoint

Cheers
greynt

Hi @greynt pretty much same as ours. We didn't get the external shower cause we never used it on the first van, it also cuts into the storage under the bunk. But lots do use them and so they could be justified. You can't get a third water they won't do it. We got a second spare on the bumper but then can't have the back rack. Compressor fridge is good but they are noisier and you then need at least 200-250 ah batteries and probably 360watt of solar. At least with the 3 way it runs of gas.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Thanks:thumb>:(cruza driver, totally forgot about that thread. Appreciate it. Very helpful with info as usual.
Glad everybody had a great time at Wombat today.

Cheers
greynt

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Took the brave step today.

And decided to start to install the hatch under the bed.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Took a heap of photos as I went along but there all on the iPad and the forums not letting me post them ;-(

All went well so far, need to get some sealant and screws and jobs done, all up about 90mins.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Took a heap of photos as I went along but there all on the iPad and the forums not letting me post them ;-(

All went well so far, need to get some sealant and screws and jobs done, all up about 90mins.

I found today that after you click the upload file button, and then instead of tapping the choose file button, just touch where it says upload a file and it seemed to allow me to then choose the photos.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Once removing the speaker i probed into the foam to find where the uprights and wood is if any. i had an idea where the alumiumn frame was from seeing a wall in manufacture. It had me concerned there seemed to be something low to the front which I guessed would be wood for the awning mounts and towards the door all the way up.

Once I was satisfied I marked out the cut out on the masking tape and measured several times and checked behind for wires.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
After using the hatch as an excuse to buy a swanky plunge saw from Aldi I realised the best option was a good old jigsaw with quality blade. Need to make sure that you have plenty of tape on the alloy panelling otherwise the foot of the jigsaw will scratch the white alloy.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: Moto Moto

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The upright near the door that I couldn't guess was a plastic channel used to trunk wires up the walls. I just removed the edge of it and there was no wires in there either. But further up that's how they send power to the handle light.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Pretty much done, just gotta get screws and some mastic.

The tape to the left is to go again to remount the speaker.

image.jpg