StarCraft 17:58.3 Mk11

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The other big tip is to be comfortable in the handling of the jigsaw and to err on the side of slightly larger in the hole. The hatch has a huge flange to cover things. When I did the cut on the forward side I decided to try cutting down but it wasn't comfortable so I swapped to going up. on inspection with the down cut I let the blade wander of square and the back of the hole is slightly larger. No biggie but spolit an otherwise perfect job. Also if you need to remove say another few mm the jig saw then becomes useless with the blade flexing all over the place. Works better doing a clean cut.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Finished the hatch last night. I wanted to get the right screws and Bunnings didnt have them (countersunk finer metal thread) suprisingly Jayco don't use the correct screws !!! Not a biggie but they use round head when the hatches are moulded for countersunk.

Anyway all finished up, I bought the putty tape from Jayco so I had that same finish. Tbh it was neater than using a butylmastic in a gun and ofcourse I can remove it which sikaflex won't allow me to do.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
it looks like twins :)

I really want one under the bunks. The scooters sit in there.. I rather them in the car and put Annex under. If we keep the van I will do it, or get someone to do it :). Trying to talk Sarah into a Basestation instead.
Although was just in the Starcraft pulling the reading light out to put a dual Navara USB in. Need to get some more power cable to run it over to the other side of the overheads first. So both reading lights will be on the front wall and a USB where the one near the sink is.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Same here, just read through the latest hatch mod, really impressive work @achjimmy. You don't normally stop for long either what mod is next mate?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
What a great idea Jim, I will be showing the In Laws this one for sure, they struggle with the extra height from the J tech setup.

Reactions: cruza driver

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Fitted a fridge fan. I was missing the exhaust flue from the fridge ! so took the opportunity to fit a fan as Jayco had left a 12v wire lying loose in the cavity as well. On advice from @Drover and @ShaneT i decided to "panel" the area over the fridge to stop hot air recirculating into the top of the fridge. Jayco did an awesome job of this on the expanda but not so on the Starcraft. It's explained in the thtford manual so there's no excuse . The fan is set at 50c but Iam going to up it to 70c. The fan Definitely works because as it came on it cycled on and off for about 30mins until the temp finally pushed past 50c. Only thing is its noisey and will be an annoyance in the dead of night. So am going to fit a switch.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That looks very good, I should fit a switch as mine whir a little bit. At least you haven't got AC plumbing in the way.

Reactions: achjimmy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Does the new step frame (which looks great by the way) hang down any further than the original single step
Crusty I'll measure it but my guess is not by much, which was the problem with using a Jayco Swan outback step. Besides being too wide it hung down 300mm!