Exterior Pressure limiting valve

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was at one place, water was a bit ordinary as well as the pressure, was that bad we had to disconnect the filter to get decent pressure.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Ive found poor pressure to be the biggest PITA in my Panda seems every time I take it out I find something else is reducing the pressure last time it was the filters on the Tempering valve were full of crap from the bottom of the HWS as I had just had the anode replaced, over the time I've owned it Ive had a dickky tempering valve, the Pump plumbed up wrong, a sticky pressure valve, a sticky non return valve and even crap in the little aerator thingo on the end of the kitchen sink tap.
maybe stupid question but where is this tempering valve so I can check it

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Mine is underneath the Van Its a T shaped Copper Valve usually with a coloured plastic cap on top mine is Blue, with 3 hoses connected to it 1 in straight from the HWS, 1 in from cold water and 1 out to hot side of taps
are yes was looking at that today dose it need cleaning ??? are there filters in it

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yep little Mesh filters on the inlets
thanks heaps bro give it a go tomoz let you know what I find my water is crap flowing the little one way valve in the filler connection was buggered but its always been crap so looking at all issues maybe get a PLV like @Crusty181 connected to the tap do away with the van one like everyone else pump is good but mains is crap

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
ok that little one way valve in the tap connector is out and staying out with 12 volt pump on tested it heaps no water coming out of it was going to put a john gest one way fitting on the line in the van but don't need it , its there if I eva do , but so far so good again stretched the buggery out of the spring in the plv and yes better flow now, I think jaycos plv is very restrictive I saw one at bentons plumbing looked much better 70 bucks will bye it one day , Bunning's don't sell 350kpa which is 50 psi plvs only 300 kpa like @Crusty181 has his is 350 kpa I think well my store dosnt have them , I did find in a pool shop a plv that is 50psi and easy can screw 3 /4 plastic fitting into so you can put tap fittings on to it and have it in line with the hose or on the tap 35 bucks mite get that too ???? all I know is the one in the van is not the best and will change it one day

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yes saw them but if ours ar 350 kpa cause of the hot water system is 500 then to much
Hey @Bluey, the HWS is rated to 850kPa, and there isn't too many domestic supplies that would be more than that. That kind of pressure would blow the kids out of the bath, through the window and you'd find them on the neighbors roof

20160504_095012-resized-1280.jpg

Jags73

Mar 25, 2016
Angle Vale SA
Hey @Bluey, the HWS is rated to 850kPa, and there isn't too many domestic supplies that would be more than that. That kind of pressure would blow the kids out of the bath, through the window and you'd find them on the neighbors roof

View attachment 41237

I was reading the same on my Suburban hot water service, but in the operating, installation & service manual it states that a 350 kpa mains pressure reducing valve must be fitted, 1st page

I have been doing some fast learning, I have the Reflex 350 kpa PRV which has a built in non return valve & gauze filter, I pulled it apart to clean, just preventive maintenance, & found it was a big no no as special tools are needed to pull it apart, standard spanners crush the stainless thin walled cylinder & never to work again. I grabbed a new one of ebay to get it up & working again.
While I had it apart I noticed these are full flow valves until the the 350 kpa or 50 psi is reached then they are regulating, stretching springs only increase the pressure or cutting them decreases the pressure.

My main concern here at Angle Vale I have 700 kpa or 100 psi mains pressure & tries to blow the hose of the van fitting & leaks water,
On the property I can only use Hose Link products, so for the van I found a cheap $10.00 Pope 350 kpa PRV from Bunnings that screws straight to the tap that drop the pressure for the hose to the van.
Checked the pressures on the van & I get the 370 kpa max with working pressure of 350 from the mains & 350 kpa on the 12 volt pump, but this doesn't represent flow, but I do have good flow at the taps on mains & a little less on 12 volt pump, very happy how it works & I'm a little wiser for any repair jobs in the future 8-)

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Wow @Jags73 , most places would have instant water fountains on the footpath with that pressure, must be great turning on taps and having decent flow, house must have good PRV's as well. I've actually refitted mine as where I'm camped the new camp pump is giving great pressure, so much the dunny flush is too much, so I thought I better refit it. First time I've found awesome pressure.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My vans actually have a PRV/ non return valve fitted on the inflow line at the HWS, like a house one which you can shut off so it wouldn't matter what was on the mains connection. Not confusing with the pressure relief valve either.

Reactions: Jags73

Jags73

Mar 25, 2016
Angle Vale SA
Wow @Jags73 , most places would have instant water fountains on the footpath with that pressure, must be great turning on taps and having decent flow, house must have good PRV's as well. I've actually refitted mine as where I'm camped the new camp pump is giving great pressure, so much the funny flush is too much, so I thought I better refit it. First time I've found awesome pressure.

No, the house doesn't have a PRV, the hot water service is gravity so the ball cocks get to see the pressure, about once every 18 mths I might have to repair a broken under ground plastic pressure pipe due to ground movement, I redesign the broken pipe to allow for movement.
Great for pressure washing without a pressure washer.

I haven't tried the van at a park with low pressure, so time will tell 8-)

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I was reading the same on my Suburban hot water service, but in the operating, installation & service manual it states that a 350 kpa mains pressure reducing valve must be fitted, 1st page

I have been doing some fast learning, I have the Reflex 350 kpa PRV which has a built in non return valve & gauze filter, I pulled it apart to clean, just preventive maintenance, & found it was a big no no as special tools are needed to pull it apart, standard spanners crush the stainless thin walled cylinder & never to work again. I grabbed a new one of ebay to get it up & working again.
While I had it apart I noticed these are full flow valves until the the 350 kpa or 50 psi is reached then they are regulating, stretching springs only increase the pressure or cutting them decreases the pressure.

My main concern here at Angle Vale I have 700 kpa or 100 psi mains pressure & tries to blow the hose of the van fitting & leaks water,
On the property I can only use Hose Link products, so for the van I found a cheap $10.00 Pope 350 kpa PRV from Bunnings that screws straight to the tap that drop the pressure for the hose to the van.
Checked the pressures on the van & I get the 370 kpa max with working pressure of 350 from the mains & 350 kpa on the 12 volt pump, but this doesn't represent flow, but I do have good flow at the taps on mains & a little less on 12 volt pump, very happy how it works & I'm a little wiser for any repair jobs in the future 8-)
Good research @Jags73. I have one those plastic 350kPa Pope tap fittings. Seems to make more sense to fit the PRV to the tape as opposed to having well inside the caravans plumbing system

Reactions: dagree and Jags73