Hurst Family - 2014 Expanda 20.63-1 OB

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Yes the bed ends are definitely darker but not the van itself..... But then again it was wet, windy and cloudy when we used them. Didn't fit them last week when we went away!

Reactions: DawnMark

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well the BEF is on the van! And it looks pretty good actually - we have to do some adjusting to the sides where it attaches to the van, as they didn't quite put the press studs in the right place... But the best news is we can leave it on with the lid closed - we tried it last night and it closed easily :D

View attachment 28419

View attachment 28420
I had the new style lid replaced with the original incarnation. I wanted to fit the sail track under the lid as opposed to the outside edge, because it looks better. I searched for, and found right angled sail track which the opening faces down instead of out to avoid what others have found with the BEF being too tight when clipped to the press studs on the van.

Hard lid, or van front mould, slightly out of square and the track was rubbing in the van moulding when the lid was closed. It been quite it delicate and calculating to instal the sail track ........

All finished, slid in BEF ............. too bloody short. Go figure

So I think you've done well @Flossymk1, and Im still friggin around with mine. (its likely to end up in the bin shortly)

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks @Crusty181 :)

Now we just have to devise a way to "hook" the new BEF up when we want to fold up the lid (like you do with the black privacy screen). We thought about attaching a press stud in each bottom corner of the BEF, but it won't clip up to the existing press stud in the lid due to it being too close to the new sail track - plus I think the canvas would be too heavy anyway and just unclip straight away...

So my next thought is some Velcro strips? (Not the little ones - I'm talking the wide, adhesive stuff from Spotlight). I'm not sure how the adhesive stuff would go attaching to the canvas though - might have to try and hand stitch it on perhaps.. And I'm not sure how well the adhesive strip would stick to the underside of the lid - hubby thinks the heat may affect it?

Anyway looking for any inspirational ideas folks! :)

Reactions: dagree and Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA

So my next thought is some Velcro strips? (Not the little ones - I'm talking the wide, adhesive stuff from Spotlight). I'm not sure how the adhesive stuff would go attaching to the canvas though - might have to try and hand stitch it on perhaps..

I agree with you there @Flossymk1 . Stitching the Velcro would work. As long as you had enough. (Love Velcro. Such a versatile thing)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought of doing similar with the privacy screen as it always got in the way, now I just bundle it up and chuck it on top of the BE and slam the lid shut.

If you stitch the velcro, well it's the only way really, use double sided tape to hold it before you sew and run some bees wax or laundry soap over the stitching.

Reactions: DawnMark

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

Now we just have to devise a way to "hook" the new BEF up when we want to fold up the lid (like you do with the black privacy screen). We thought about attaching a press stud in each bottom corner of the BEF, but it won't clip up to the existing press stud in the lid due to it being too close to the new sail track - plus I think the canvas would be too heavy anyway and just unclip straight away...

So my next thought is some Velcro strips? (Not the little ones - I'm talking the wide, adhesive stuff from Spotlight). I'm not sure how the adhesive stuff would go attaching to the canvas though - might have to try and hand stitch it on perhaps.. And I'm not sure how well the adhesive strip would stick to the underside of the lid - hubby thinks the heat may affect it?

This may end up to complicated to explain, but here we go. ( I did it on my 16.49.1, but it now gone. Ill try to find some pics)

You need a hook of some description on middle inside front edge of the under side of the lid .... outside the line of the BEF. Drill a hole in the top strut bracket on each side, and run some shock cord across. Tie a small loop (6 inches or so) of shock cord in the middle of that shock cord and put a s/s key ring on it. To pack up, drape the BEF over the long shock cord, and then pull the loop and hook it onto the hook. Should be clear as mud.

Worked very well for us for 5 years on the other Expanda, and made for very simple and effective storage. You can leave it packed in and not deploy it.

You going "derrrrrrrrr", I know. Ill find some pics, you love it

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
This may end up to complicated to explain, but here we go. ( I did it on my 16.49.1, but it now gone. Ill try to find some pics)

You need a hook of some description on middle inside front edge of the under side of the lid .... outside the line of the BEF. Drill a hole in the top strut bracket on each side, and run some shock cord across. Tie a small loop (6 inches or so) of shock cord in the middle of that shock cord and put a s/s key ring on it. To pack up, drape the BEF over the long shock cord, and then pull the loop and hook it onto the hook. Should be clear as mud.

Worked very well for us for 5 years on the other Expanda, and made for very simple and effective storage. You can leave it packed in and not deploy it.

You going "derrrrrrrrr", I know. Ill find some pics, you love it

Lol - yes pics would be good please :)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Flossymk1. Try to interpret the post above with the pics (good luck)

I had a hook sikflex'ed to the under side of the lid central between the lid locks; outside the BED. (that should make more sense after the 3rd photo)

I made the hooks from s/s per the photo below, but you use whatever makes it easy i.e. a 3m plastic key hook. Stick it on with Sikaflex urethane. Just make sure you clean with turps and lightly rough wherever you stick stuff.
IMG_1313.JPG

The shock cord knotted through holes drilled in the top strut bracket, with a loop of shock cord tied in the middle (I had a small s/s key ring on the loop of shock cord)
IMG_1310.JPG

Drape the BEF over the long shock cord, and pull the short shock cord loop under the draped BEF and attached the s/s key ring to the hook sikaflex'ed to the under side, outside edge of the hardlid
IMG_1312.JPG

Its much simpler to use than it is to describe ..... Im exhausted now.

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Having see @Flossymk1 BEF sail tracks on the underside of the lid, I'm wondering if mine where installed correctly! They are on the outside edge of the lid. Does this look correct to you guys?
.image.jpg

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
That's the correct way of fixing the sail tracks as designed for the original style lid. Jayco have only recently changed the design of the lid with the rubber seals on the outer edge of them @Simon

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Having see @Flossymk1 BEF sail tracks on the underside of the lid, I'm wondering if mine where installed correctly! They are on the outside edge of the lid. Does this look correct to you guys?
.View attachment 28541
Its as correct as it gets. @Flossymk1 hardlid is the new incarnation, and is very different to yours (and mine). My van arrived with the new lid, but i requested the old lid like yours be retro fitted. Your track is where Jayco fitted it to the old lids

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Jayco work in mysterious ways. My van came off the production line in October this year and I have and old model lid! But a van that came off the line at the start or middle of the year has new model lid? Who's on first base?

Reactions: Flossymk1

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Jayco work in mysterious ways. My van came off the production line in October this year and I have and old model lid! But a van that came off the line at the start or middle of the year has new model lid? Who's on first base?
If you ordered the BEF at the time of purchase apprently it should be fitted with the old lid

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Well I was quite surprised when our van arrived with the new lid - I didn't know anything about it either when we ordered our van. At least the BEF problem is sorted now, but it did cause quite a lot of stress at the time!