Hurst Family - 2014 Expanda 20.63-1 OB

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Well I thought I should create a dedicated thread for our new van arriving in October! Final sign off was done yesterday afternoon - here is our final list of features/extras:-

Slide out club lounge
Double fixed bunks
TV antenna
External TV point, 12v & 240v power outlets
Fiamma bike rack
Mains tap to A-Frame
Drifter panel
Extra power points in bunks & kitchen
Shelves in robe
TV bracket
Waterproof bed end cover + mesh privacy screen
Picnic table
Upgraded fridge/freezer (RM4601)
150W solar panel
Radio (Fusion Basic)
Sphere 3kg washing machine
2nd external gas bayonet
Left hinged entrance door
Deleted the under bunk drawer
External access hatch to under bunk storage area (approx. size 650 x 290)

Fabric colours we went with are, Cadel Deepsea / Wavernet Deepsea - and laminex, Amara Matte :)

It's gonna be a long couple of months wait! lol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Welcome. Now for the big wait and getting ready for all those mods you have read about and want to implement on your new van.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well I thought I should create a dedicated thread for our new van arriving in October! Final sign off was done yesterday afternoon - here is our final list of features/extras:-

Slide out club lounge
Double fixed bunks
TV antenna
Fiamma bike rack
Mains tap to A-Frame
Drifter panel
Shelves in robe
TV bracket
Picnic table
150W solar panel
Radio (Fusion Basic)
2nd external gas bayonet

Fabric colours we went with are, Cadel Deepsea / Wavernet Deepsea - and laminex, Amara Matte :)

Slide out club lounge
Double fixed bunks
TV antenna
Fiamma bike rack
Mains tap to A-Frame
Drifter panel
Shelves in robe
TV bracket
Picnic table
150W solar panel
Radio (Fusion Basic)
2nd external gas bayonet

Hi guys. We are getting the same unit on, sounds like, the same production run. With the entrance door rendering the kitchen window useless we requested a left hand door. Jayco, according to the dealer, flatly refused to hang a left hand door. It was something they "just dont do" ..... ever. We've been really dissappointed with the process of buying this van. Would you mind giving me your order number or chassis number so i can follow it up. Cheers

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi guys. We are getting the same unit on, sounds like, the same production run. With the entrance door rendering the kitchen window useless we requested a left hand door. Jayco, according to the dealer, flatly refused to hang a left hand door. It was something they "just dont do" ..... ever. We've been really dissappointed with the process of buying this van. Would you mind giving me your order number or chassis number so i can follow it up. Cheers

G'day Crusty, if you check out the van we have ordered, Journey 17-5-9, you will see it is a rear door model and hinges on the left side, also blocking our annexe light. So they do have them as a standard fitting, just depends on the model.

Reactions: Flossymk1

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Howdy Chartrock. The availability of the door itself wasn't the problem, it was Jayco flat refusal to even consider putting it in. It was made all the more frustrating when, as you rightly point out, other vans within 20 feet on display had the door installed. When the original offering renders the very large kitchen window useless, it would seem such a simple, logical request to swap the door with an identically dimensioned alternative that they carry in stock. The whole experience has been like dealing with the largest backyard garage business in Australia. The sign off is due this week ..... if we don't pull out before hand

Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Crusty pull out and go with Flossy's dealer to get want you want. Arrange pickup at the factory if they still do that? I am sure it's the dealers and who they deal with at Jayco.

Flossy you have let the dealer know the door is a show stopper for you? I have recently been through our second new build van, and regardless of some explicit instructions Jayco still did the van there way and nobody found out until delivery!!! So at least if the dealer knows its a " big deal" they will rectify at there cost (if it's rectifiable)

Reactions: davemc

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Well it seems I have been successful with the LH door hinge issue!
LH Door Hinge Form.JPG
It was not an easy process, and I give full credit to my local Jayco dealer who went into bat for me and got this across the line :)

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Only around 3ish weeks to go now! Getting quite excited - gosh I will be a basket case by the time it actually arrives lol :p

I've obviously been spending too much time on the forum lately hehe, and reading up about everyone's new van issues - it's made me a little anxious about ours - but fingers crossed everything works ok!!

Don't really have any major mods planned for this one, as one of the reasons we upgraded to this model was that it already has everything that we need (hopefully!).

But I probably will look at putting in that fridge/freezer temp monitor that's been talked about on here of late - that's a great idea! Does anyone know if the main display panel has to be wired in, or is it battery operated?

We never really had any trouble with our sink draining in our previous van, however if it's an issue this time we would also look at sectioning the hose as others have done.

Anyway, hurry up 3 weeks! I'm super stressed about the LH door hinge - just want to see a pic from the dealer so that I know that it has been done arrgghhhh! :p

Reactions: Smirke

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
one of the reasons we upgraded to this model was that it already has everything that we need (hopefully!).
I give it one week after the shakedown trip and you'll be posting pics of some mods/additions :boink: :behindsofa:

But I probably will look at putting in that fridge/freezer temp monitor that's been talked about on here of late - that's a great idea! Does anyone know if the main display panel has to be wired in, or is it battery operated?
Unfortunately @Flossymk1 the wireless engel temp monitor is no longer available but they still do one where the sensor cable has to run through the fridge door.... sensor to display is wireless (I think).
Companion do one that looks like an exact copy of the wireless one but in black and lime green Ray's Outdoor have them for $39 or can find on fleabay for around $31 delivered. Still have to get around to getting one and trying it out.

Reactions: Flossymk1

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If everything works on yours when you get, that will be great as problems will be the last thing you want..........mind you many on here will be jealous of you and may not talk to you again.......lol,lol,lol................

It will never have everything you want, no mods to do...unheard of, what will you do on your days off from work, in between trips ???? Mow lawns ????? aarrgghh............................

Reactions: bigcol

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
I give it one week after the shakedown trip and you'll be posting pics of some mods/additions :boink: :behindsofa:

Unfortunately @Flossymk1 the wireless engel temp monitor is no longer available but they still do one where the sensor cable has to run through the fridge door.... sensor to display is wireless (I think).
Companion do one that looks like an exact copy of the wireless one but in black and lime green Ray's Outdoor have them for $39 or can find on fleabay for around $31 delivered. Still have to get around to getting one and trying it out.

Lol @dagree well we will see ;)

Yeah I was looking at the Companion one on ebay earlier today - it looks like a wireless set up to me? I don't want to have wires/cords running out of the fridge though. Does anyone have the Companion one as pictured below?
Companion Thermometer.jpg

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
If everything works on yours when you get, that will be great as problems will be the last thing you want..........mind you many on here will be jealous of you and may not talk to you again.......lol,lol,lol................

It will never have everything you want, no mods to do...unheard of, what will you do on your days off from work, in between trips ???? Mow lawns ????? aarrgghh............................

Lmao @Drover - yes I guess it would like winning the lottery if my van arrives with no issues hehehe - I would be banned from the site for sure! :banplease: :caked::cheer2::lol:

Reactions: davemc

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Lol @dagree well we will see ;)

Yeah I was looking at the Companion one on ebay earlier today - it looks like a wireless set up to me? I don't want to have wires/cords running out of the fridge though. Does anyone have the Companion one as pictured below?
View attachment 26444
Yep ive got that one. Works really well and is wireless. Money well spent

Last edited: