would you accept this...

GCMASOS

Nov 10, 2013
We just our van back feom its forst service and warranty work.

Would you accept there efforr to remove permanent marker from the floor that was transferred from the annex bag tags on delivery.
20140211_172640.jpg

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Looks like whatever solvent they used stripped the colour out of the vinyl. Not sure that I would accept it but if you have no choice, can you put a mat over it??? That is what we did with the silicone marks as I was worried the same thing would happen trying to remove it.
The only other option is they could cut out the strip of vinyl and glue in another piece, but not sure what else they can do.

Good luck

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hard to see with the flash glare. The problem is the vinyl goes down early on in the manufacture. Good question for Dave our handy Jayco Tech to answer. This is my van, as you can see they lay all the vinyl down on the timber and build on top of it. I remember years ago friends kids were colouring in with Texta on our floor and it went thru, the fix was (don't quote me but something along the lines of) powdered borax and metho (google to find out), made into a dry paste. Then the paste was put over the texta and a few hours later the paste was the colour of the texta and floor was like new again. Good luck.
IMG_0845.JPG

Reactions: blacky

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
It might be a big fix, but you paid for a new van and that it what you should get. Not one stained with texta or a dodgy fix!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I know it's too late for you but elsewhere I read that somebody used carpet squares from Bunnings to protect their floor. Also lessons the noise. Spills ,stains, just replace the square affected. Not sure if this would be as easy to keep clean.

Reactions: bigcol

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Hmmm. I agree with you all..., but a replacement floor will mean what? Cut to size and now a potential uneven edge around every cabinet etc. It will not be the same as new. Will liquids seep under?
So what to do. Negotiate on something else? I have a bunnings runner down my van.
I'd probably look for another outcome or at least be aware of what a replacement will look like (and function) when the first cu of coffe gets spilt down the sink cupboard...
Just another view.
Cheers
Andrew

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I know it's too late for you but elsewhere I read that somebody used carpet squares from Bunnings to protect their floor. Also lessons the noise. Spills ,stains, just replace the square affected. Not sure if this would be as easy to keep clean.

Yeah I did. Works a treat and you can just sweep it as the pile is not very long. One of my best mods. I am not a carpet tile layer though so you can see some joins and the cutting is average but I can be a bit of a perfectionist.

Look here: http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/what-do-you-put-on-the-floor.1742/

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I did the bunnings tiles as well. Protects the floor and quieter but I would not be happy with the floor looking like that without some decent compo.

jim74

Oct 23, 2012
port macquarie
It should be up to the dealer to find you a solution not a forum, you didn't pay us $40k. As the owner of a business if my guys make an error we fix it , not the clients. Put it to them on a civil manner and see if they back themselves. Remember the customer is always right

Reactions: Wanda

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I too have done the carpet squares, mainly for that sort of reason - damaging the vinyl floor

but I would not accept it - and as has already been said, it shouldn't be up to you to give them the answers to fix their problem
and
as already said as well, be civil and pleasant, and dont get overly angry.

cheers

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
The carpet tile is not the solution to the problem, the dealer is. Take it back and ask them to fix it. Do not take the van back until it is. I would have a couple of concerns though. I understand the vinyl is laid then the caravan is built around it meaning all the cupboards etc sit and therefore hold down the vinyl. It may be counter productive to have them cut around the cupboards and re-lay the cut out bit's. It is unlikely they will dismantle the whole van to repair that one section.

So perhaps a visit to a vinyl supplier and ask if it can be fixed without replacement, if not IMHO your options are limited.

Take the solution to the dealer, perhaps in response to his "We can't fix it without cutting out that section" you can pre-offer "Can you carpet tile the van?"

Just a thought.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
we have had a few floor issues inside and outside of warranty. inside the warranty we usually send it back to the factory if it's a serious issue (like your stain) sometimes we get a local vinyl man in and he works some sort of magic, but i can still see a repair join if i look closely. A couple we have fixed our-self, by joining under the edge of cupboards, by jacking them up slightly cutting underneath and joining there, VERY VERY time consuming as we need to make a template in paper first and usually only get one shot at getting it right so a lot of checking before we cut a sheet.
Out of warranty we let the owner decide, and i think the most popular option is rip it all out and lay self adhesive floor sheets that look like several planks, if you know what i mean. only trouble with that is if you open a bottom cupboard you see different pattern inside on the floor. but that is cheapest fix and pretty easy to do as i'm not a floor layer

so my advice .... (for what it's worth) take it back to the dealer and ask/demand for it to be fixed or replaced ...... (boss will kill me if he reads this) ask for it to be fixed at factory, it is their mistake, so the dealer may have to wear the cost of the stuffup, not a defect in the van which usually means jayco HQ pays, but they will probably join it under the furniture, you will never tell afterwards if they do a good job unless you lift a cabinet. going from past experience with ppl not happy with something on a van jayco has even replaced the van (one of my nightmare why won't this damm thing stop leaking!! jobs) so stand your ground and get what you want, jayco will come to the party.

as the vinyl is the third thing to go on the van (chassis, timber floor then vinyl) EVERYTHING sits on it including side walls, it's a important item to get right at construction. and also a easy item to damage afterwards. I used to wear black sole shoes at work but now wear tennis shoes as they don't leave marks like the black ones while your kneeling down, and every heavy item (fridge, cooker etc) goes onto scrap carpet if it needs to be set on the floor during removal, i even use a tray to put rubbish in as a stray wire offcut can cause a indentation if you step on it.

I remember they used to only glue the sheet down around the edge, but now they add more for some untold reason that must be a need to know issue, so it's even harder to fix the vinyl now.

Reactions: Ren77 and macca