What do you put on the floor?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We are out and about this weekend again and have ended up in a site that is soooo muddy.
The steps to the van are covered in mud, the mat at the door is now the colour of mud.
It is impossible to not walk mud inside the van. Do other members have a floor runner or something inside the van? I am interested in what people have found works well on the floor.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
I know this can be a difficult one when kids are involved we try and leave the muddy shoes outside and have carpet runners inside good insulator as well ...

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Although it seems counter intuitive, carpet again. Shoes go in lidded plastic crate outside. Annexe max or even those interlinking rubber mats at door way help. Slip-on footwear like Crocs or imitations can be useful.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Like our house shoes are banned in the van and the kids are so used to it now they don't even think twice. I will be carpeting the van with carpet tiles like the old van. Works perfect.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I looked at the rubber back carpet Clark's had and it looked perfect (like bath mat material on a roll) But a friend used something simalar on there dove and the rubber backing marked the floor after a while? Brooksy how long have you used the tiles, any marks to date? I am keen to sort this out because even in hot weather near the beach i perfer carpet as I can't stand feeling sand between feet and floor.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I used the same rubber backed carpet first and had the same problem as your friend, marking the vinyl floor which it why I changed to tiles. I used light chocolate brown and they look good. Will post some pic's when I get a chance. I have never had to replace them but they are short pile so can be swept with a stiff broom day to day and vacuumed upon return or in car lovers. Fairly easy to install but I am no carpet layer so not perfect. Overall I am happy.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Plastic tub under the van for dirty and or sandy shoes and we have some cheapo slip on slippies from Sams discount warehouse that we use inside the van, the carpet sounds interesting, i suppose it would keep the van warmer too?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Plastic tub under the van for dirty and or sandy shoes and we have some cheapo slip on slippies from Sams discount warehouse that we use inside the van, the carpet sounds interesting, i suppose it would keep the van warmer too?
Yes Paul, warmer and quieter. Also avoids the stickiness and grittiness in Summer – we spend 6 weeks at beach. We use carpet with decent pile 80/20 wool/synthetic but buy offcuts from big carpet place. Get some funny looks, but gradually convert folk. We've always gone for lighter colours as well. Keeps van looking spacious and bright (this was originally based on experience with our first flat over 40 years ago – we got chocolate brown carpet and every crumb and flake of dandruff stood out like the proverbial). Coarse brush and a dust pan once a day keeps all shipshape.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hmmm a consideration for us, we spend alot of time in the high country and it gets cold, very cold in the winter.
The things you learn in this forum!!
thanks

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
So this thread inspired me to go and carpet the new van. There were 3 outcomes of this process:

1. I need to buy another box of carpet tiles.
  2. The floor is an odd shape.
  3. The colour of the tiles is "Camel" ???

So this week I'll grab another box and finish the floor next weekend (hopefully) and I'll try to grab some pictures.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds good brookes, make sure they're not rubber backed.....could mark the lino after a while. Will be good to see the end result!

Cheers.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I found this at Bunnings yesterday. it is rubber backed but not the same sort of clingy rubber that the bath mats use (that type seems to breakdown)

Its called Hobnail carpet and feels like it would be a good insulator.

Hobnail Carpet.JPG

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
OK so though I'd throw some pictures up so you get an idea of what it will look like. I have not finished the lay as you will see but I want to put the tiles down to get an idea where the joins are and arrange the tiles to a) keep them as big as possible (least cutting) and b) not have joins where people might twist on there toes and the like. Anyhow these ones are "camel" from Bunnings and cost $99 for a box of 20 that I think would do the floor with some spare. So here goes:

2012-09-10 18.16.56.jpg2012-09-10 18.17.04.jpg2012-09-10 18.17.36.jpg2012-09-10 18.17.44.jpg2012-09-10 18.17.56.jpg2012-09-10 18.18.53.jpg

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I found this at Bunnings yesterday. it is rubber backed but not the same sort of clingy rubber that the bath mats use (that type seems to breakdown)

Its called Hobnail carpet and feels like it would be a good insulator.

View attachment 9211
I would be interested to see what that looks like layed, and what the cost worked out to be.
Cheers

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
Nice choice of carpet tiles brookes i done mine a few weeks ago heaps easier to lay down and cut smaller tiles than one big piece of carpet and the backing on the tiles is a lot better than the marine carpet
.photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPG

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hey angus,
The flooring looks great, where did you get the carpet tiles from? I guess it's early days for you but any thoughts on potential marking the lino from the backing?

thx

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
Got them from bunnings i did think about them marking the floor and the backing deteriorating thats why i went with the carpet tiles the backing is a lot more hard wearing than the marine carpet.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
The carpet protects the original floor covering. Take it out when you trade up – and it can really add to re-sale value, if you've looked after the rest of your van, of course. We've done it twice now.