We joined the Q family

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
There was no Queuing for dinner tonight – and it was perfect Melbourne weather for eating out on the deck. Left house lights off in case Pace was roaming streets.
Four pizzas in the Big FamilyQ (2-up using two small BabyQ pizza stones) and did chump chops and baked potatoes in the BabyQ (for my Moslem mate, who's still not sure I could do a Halal pizza!).
Clean plates all round. Didn't cook dessert...was a bit warm, but Mrs XF rustled up chocolate mousse, strawberries, ice-cream and cream!

2013-02-13 19.31.22.jpg2013-02-13 19.10.33.jpg2013-02-13 19.07.18.jpg2013-02-13 19.13.27.jpg2013-02-13 19.14.38.jpg2013-02-13 21.00.13.jpg

Now I seem to have expanda'd a bit myself!

Attachments

• 2013-02-13 19.39.15.jpg
    2013-02-13 19.39.15.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 320
Reactions: Ren77

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
Awesome photos and now i am hungry at 7.48 am!!! :)

Re the pizzas. R the pizza stones essential or can u still cook them without them? I'm just not sure how many extras the boss will allow me to get AND i'll need extra storage :)

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Awesome photos and now i am hungry at 7.48 am!!! :)

Re the pizzas. R the pizza stones essential or can u still cook them without them? I'm just not sure how many extras the boss will allow me to get AND i'll need extra storage :)
The stone certainly makes a difference but you could try with just a pizza tray. Just remember to follow the Weber recommendations of doubled foil under the trivet AND doubled foil on top of trivet. Re storage...that's why I needed the "18".
I use the pizza tray on the stone for the first 15 minutes, then transfer pizza just to the stone to finish the bottoms off.
Keep an eye on kitchen shops/ EBay for small pizza stones (S&P did/do have a set of two). You can often get trays cheap at discount shops/supermarkets.
I got a 6- muffin size tray to make morning /afternoon tea (in two batches) in the BabyQ - and just recently found a 6-cup larger muffin tray to do breakfast tarts/quiches, etc.

382487706.636228.jpg382487740.527131.jpg

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
I'm impressed that the guys on here are doing the cooking! Just shows men have the cooking bug, just give them a barbie that does it all!:flame:

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Well done [MENTION=942]Turtle[/MENTION]
Looks like they stole your thread but some great ides here.
[MENTION=2270]Xpandafan[/MENTION] I think the muffins are a great idea. Going to try putting some shortcut bacon into a muffin tray to line the opening and then crack an egg into it. Will post some pics up. Hopefully do it on the weekend. :)

YUM
Ants

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Hi all, we are lucky enough to have a wood fired oven at home and a baby q for the panda. A ripper secret for a full proof dessert pizza - CAKE MIX. Yep, make up a packet cake mix and whack it up to 1cm thick on top of your base and cook it till it bounces back when pressed...but not too brown. The cake mix kind of blends in with the base and you can't even see where the spongy cake meets the base. Blueberry muffin mix with blueberry ice cream or apple cake mix with cinnamon ice cream are our favourites. Sorry I have no pics to add atm. Give it a crack, enjoy

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Well done @Turtle
Looks like they stole your thread but some great ides here.
@Xpandafan I think the muffins are a great idea. Going to try putting some shortcut bacon into a muffin tray to line the opening and then crack an egg into it. Will post some pics up. Hopefully do it on the weekend. :)

YUM
Ants
Look forward to your pics. Might tryout the cake mix pizza that Drizzlingje posted. Roast pork in the Family Q tonight.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi all, we are lucky enough to have a wood fired oven at home and a baby q for the panda. A ripper secret for a full proof dessert pizza - CAKE MIX. Yep, make up a packet cake mix and whack it up to 1cm thick on top of your base and cook it till it bounces back when pressed...but not too brown. The cake mix kind of blends in with the base and you can't even see where the spongy cake meets the base. Blueberry muffin mix with blueberry ice cream or apple cake mix with cinnamon ice cream are our favourites. Sorry I have no pics to add atm. Give it a crack, enjoy
Thanks for sharing your secret. Might surprise my resident food critic later this week.
Jealous of your wood fired oven but we spent everything on our Expanda so the wood fired oven never got past foundation stage. Have recently got a great FamilyQ for home after the success with the BabyQ while vanning. Manages more than passable pizzas and saves the wife having to chop wood.