Waterproof Screens??

Scoobz

Jan 29, 2014
Rowville
Hi all,
How many of you have waterproof screens over the bed ends? If so, what do you think?
Are they worthwhile or do you think it makes it too stuffy?

Trying to decide whether to order some for our new expanda or not!

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
hey there, we have the kakadu hard lid surrounds, I think they are fantastic and will use them everytime, they have roll up windows that match the window location on the bed ends, I think they make the beds cooler as the sun isnt hitting the bed canvas (and theres obviously a gap between the bed canvas and the surround)
they are pretty expensive, but like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for
if you go to the my jayco part of forum,ours is there under "our 17.56-2 ob" its on page 2 now,and theres a pic of these ends
cheers
tony

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I also have the Kakado unit, it's great & highly recommend them,I don't know why I waited so long.

In the morning & afternoon nap, it is soooo much darker in the bed end than with the standard crap.

I have only had mine since summer so I can't really say if the extra warmth at night is from the covers or because it's summer, but any way at night I have been closing the outside window & leaving the inside one open for the cool air = full privacy but still have some air flow. In saying that I definitely think it does help to keep the bed cooler in the morning & afternoon sun.

I like the vinyl because it can be packed up wet or wiped off easily.

Vissually I think canvas sits better on the van, where vinyl has to be a perfect fit to sit as nice, they are not custom made for each individual van so if there are any differences you may notice it & as I said I think canvas is more forgiving. Mine for example had the hard lid lowered at the front a few cm to stop the water pooling against the hinge & now the new covers dont sit as perfect as they would if the lid was sitting at the factory height, but I am fussy.

Reactions: GCMASOS

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I had my own made up at ADP caravans. When I purchased the van I opted not to buy the privacy screens but rather have the screens built into the waterproof bed ends.

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
I also went to ADP and love the bed ends they made for me. They do everything everyone else has said. I went for a 600 Denyer polyester and it is so lightweight and easy to put up. They roll up easily for storage to.

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi @Brad and @Zammm do either of you have any pics? I've had some work done at ADP and was very happy with their service. The last trip we did we had water through our canvas and wet the mattress', so we are thinking of getting something made up.
James

GCMASOS

Nov 10, 2013
Kakadu all the way...
1387685029398.jpg

Zammm

Jun 13, 2013
Melbourne
Hi @Brad and @Zammm do either of you have any pics? I've had some work done at ADP and was very happy with their service. The last trip we did we had water through our canvas and wet the mattress', so we are thinking of getting something made up.
James
Hi JASA
Here are a few pics of mine from ADP. Sorry there not great photos but the next time I go out in the van (end Feb) I can take some more
if you want. I have 2 corner gussetts made which zip on and off as needed. They are on this photo. This is the only photo that meets the size requirements. The others are too large and were rejected. Do you have an e-mail address? I could e-mail some more.

They basically allow for greater air flow if you decide to leave them on. I can stretch them out so that the back wall comes out on an angle. I just peg the bottoms down with a guy rope. These have mesh screens also.

IMG_5674.JPG

Reactions: Ch00ka77

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi JASA
Here are a few pics of mine from ADP. Sorry there not great photos but the next time I go out in the van (end Feb) I can take some more
if you want. I have 2 corner gussetts made which zip on and off as needed. They are on this photo. This is the only photo that meets the size requirements. The others are too large and were rejected. Do you have an e-mail address? I could e-mail some more.

They basically allow for greater air flow if you decide to leave them on. I can stretch them out so that the back wall comes out on an angle. I just peg the bottoms down with a guy rope. These have mesh screens also.

View attachment 19807

Thanks @Zammm looks good

Banora5

Jan 26, 2012
We went the Kakadu on our 1857-9 but had Kakadu extend the rear to the ground. Allows to store gear out of the weather and out of sight. It is available from them but they haven't advertised it for the expanda. Kakadu also supplied adjustable poles to counter the extra weight of the vinyl and stop the hard lids dropping.

Attachments

• 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 305
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 301

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
kakadu has theirs listed as $990 at the moment. Is that each end, or both?
Do they need to measure, or do you just order a set size?
hey dingo, $990 for both ends including fitting, and they only needed to know model and year of van, these ends are awesome
cheers
tony

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I had mine made based off year & model, but because my hard lid had been lowered a few months prior it put the screens out of wack a little & don't sit as good as they should