17' Series Very slow water drain ( shower)

GB0708

Jan 18, 2023
Narellan
Hi all, I have my 2nd 17.56(2) outback and frustrated both vans have taken forever for shower to drain, sick of using buckets for drain, anyone found a fix for this please? Cheers

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi all, I have my 2nd 17.56(2) outback and frustrated both vans have taken forever for shower to drain, sick of using buckets for drain, anyone found a fix for this please? Cheers
Do your drains ,shower , kitchen, en-suite sink all join and then go out through your greywater hose? Or are you draining into a greywater tank? I had very slow drainage and shower flooding if I drained the kitchen sink too fast, solved the issues by using an external greywater tank (waste master) and leaving an air gap between the van drain outlet and the tank , the greywater tank then either hose drains or bulk dumped if you are in a camp that specifies rigid self contained only. If are draining into an on board greywater Tank maybe the hoses are too small or the tank is not vented properly. Good luck. welcome to the forum, lots of good commonsense info on this site

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On my 14.44 it originally had 2 drain pipes, with sink and ensuite being seperate both drained slow so I redid my drain pipes, straightened out the bends and added my own grey water tank, here , since the shop bought ones were just modded water tanks I made my own so i could clean it out easier this made for fast draining of everything, could suck a chux down the plug hole in a blink......................... shower drained instantly........

If you just have a single drain you may have a one way waste valve fitted it may be restricting flow and need a clean out, they are usually a fat white addition to the drain system......
1674075161735.png
....................... they stop the kitchen drain from flowing into the shower tray if you have just a single drain outlet.

Reactions: KECL

GB0708

Jan 18, 2023
Narellan
Do your drains ,shower , kitchen, en-suite sink all join and then go out through your greywater hose? Or are you draining into a greywater tank? I had very slow drainage and shower flooding if I drained the kitchen sink too fast, solved the issues by using an external greywater tank (waste master) and leaving an air gap between the van drain outlet and the tank , the greywater tank then either hose drains or bulk dumped if you are in a camp that specifies rigid self contained only. If are draining into an on board greywater Tank maybe the hoses are too small or the tank is not vented properly. Good luck. welcome to the forum, lots of good commonsense info on this site
Thank you, no grey water tank, drains ok into bucket but when hose connected just wont drain

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Thank you, no grey water tank, drains ok into bucket but when hose connected just wont drain
Sounds like your drain hose could be the guilty party , maybe a larger bore hose to create a manifold effect , or go to the the external tank and hose , plenty of cheap tanks on ebay to give it a try without spending a lot of money and time

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Showers do need a good down hill run to flow and if a drain hose is pretty level they will back up, laws of gravity, thats why it flows well into a bucket, to flow out of the hose the water needs weight to push so backs up into the tray, try a shorter hose but either way it needs to have some downhill run ..................... thats why the grey water tank I made allowed the shower and sinks to drain into the tank and even if the drain hose outside is level or even slightly uphll there is no back up and weight of the water in tank will push the water even up a slight slope, gravity again............... the water from the sink is taken up in the plumbing but no room for the shower.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks all, I will go down fitting a grey water tank.

You want one that easy to flush out if you go store bought, some are just water tanks which to clean or just flush the goobers out is very difficult, corn, peas and long hair will gum them up in short time............ need at least a 50mm drain line..... my sewer pipe works and cleans well but the pipe and fittings aren't cheap.

Last edited:

GB0708

Jan 18, 2023
Narellan
If a bucket works then maybe add a hose connector to the bucket. I use a storage tub that holds my hoses and stuff. The van drains into the bucket and the bucket drains slowly into the drain. Works great for my washing machine that releases a ton of water too quickly for my small sullage hose
Thank you, also a good idea