Venting, ranting, whinging and all things political

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I wish I was wise enough to understand people and how they react.
But 68 years on and I have to admit I really have no idea.

In my humble opinion, during the pandemic, we are not seeing people acting at their best and it is much more noticeable in the two largest cities in Australia: Melbourne and Sydney.

One only has to go out camping to witness the ability of people to be selfish and completely unconcerned with the effect that their actions have on the enjoyment of camping to others around them. Do we really expect those people to act any differently when they go back home, or when they are required to consider their actions during the pandemic?

In the end, people are completely responsible for the mess we are in. It is also people who elect politicians and it is people who sit back and put them under little pressure to do the job they have been elected to do. The politics of democracy has been slowly rotting away for some time. It is certainly true more so then ever that whenever there is an election, it is a politician who gets into power. And in this crisis, it would have been better handled if some of those in power were actually leaders.

I find it easy to distinguish between a politician and a leader. My example is in interviewing candidates for a job. Something I have done many times throughout my careers, both as an interviewer and as a candidate. There are candidates who present very well at an interview and those that don't.
There are also those who will be good at the job and those that won't. The art of an interviewer is to cut through the interview dynamics and find the person who will actually be good at the job, fit in with the culture of the organisation, and get on well with the staff and customers they will interact with.

So, we seem to have a bunch of leaders whose only skills seems to be in how to play the factions of the party they are in, be popular enough to resonate with voters, get into power, avoid being held responsible for any stuff ups, take as much credit as possible for anything good, ridicule the other parties who usually represent around 50% of the voting population, and bury anyone in their own party who has any aspirations of leadership.

During the start of this pandemic and during the deadly second wave in Melbourne, I was very angry at the leadership and the way people behaved. In hindsight, it was my own fault, I had too high an expectation, that given a serious crisis, people and politicians would rise to the challenge. I was seriously mistaken. 12 months on, the situation, in my opinion, is far worse, but I am not anywhere near as angry as I was back then. I have come to accept the situation and now just concentrate on myself, my family, and my friends. The rest, I try my hardest to ignore.

But, I do look for positive signs as encouragement that there are places where people are capable of acting decently.
I have always been impressed by how New Zealand has responded to the crisis. When I get despondent, I head across and read or watch the media presentations, much better for my stress levels. Now, before, jumping on me. Yes, New Zealand has one less level of government. Yes, it is smaller than Australia. But it is about the same size as Victoria, or NSW.

I am not political. I am a swinging voter with no formula on how or who I vote for. So I have no axe to grind with any party, nor an allegiance to any party that would make me honour-bound to defend any of its actions.

take care
Mike

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Venting, ranting, whinging and all things political. Could the concept possibly get any better than this

Leaders lead. If the peasants aren't doing what is being asked of them I would suggest at the very least some of that responsibility should fall at the feet of the person doing the asking. Dumbo is most certainly not a leader; you can Google up any attribute/s, definition or description of a leader you care to and you will not find Dumbos assets listed,

If people aren't listening then it's because Dumbo is missing the mark and isn't leading. What Dumbo is selling, not everyone is buying and the reasons they aren't buying are not as naive and simplistic as everyone's in an undisciplined mob. Current Covid stats would suggest at this point that the so-called undisciplined mobs haven't actually caused any issues at all.

The most fundamental element of Aust life, your average Joe suburban family has caused the latest doubling of the stats. How does that square away against the undisciplined mobs. It is of course our role and duty to question those in power, and blindly following these buffoons is nuts. Politicians and bureaucrats have been the cause of every single issue and hiccup we have had through this whole pandemic. Covid is bad enough, but the Vic Govt is worse than pouring petrol on it.

For the record Im not politically biased, I have no blind allegiance to any of these nongs .... unfortunately, both sides of the political spectrum are currently as problematic as each other.

Some folk of course some will just be opportunistic belligerent turds, but I doubt anyone is naive enough to suggest every naysayer fits that category. Many folk will be disillusioned, some will feel violated, some just can't hear the message thru the relentless BS, some are confused by the misinformation, some are sick to death of the politicking, and some just don't trust the messenger (+1). I know who is to blame for the belligerent ones, but who would you suggest is to blame for the rest.

Most people are not belligerent undisciplined mobsters, or conspiracy theorists or even anti-vaxxers. Some will be seeing their businesses, their lives or their families crumbling whilst they watch the likes of the corporate and retail giants of Aust thriving to record profits in the same environment. I go into Bunnings as an exempt tradie, but the place is full of old nannas buying paint and plants.

As Govts argue over table scrap worker support many peasants will be barely getting by whilst burgeoning corporate monoliths are bathed in massive Govt handouts.

Just a side question to ponder, when QANTAS once again puts its giant private corporate greedy hand out for a Govt bag of cash, why do we just hand over that cash .... why isnt it provided as either a loan or percentage investment purchase on behalf of the taxpayer ???

18 mths ago our Govt announced an 800% (yes, 8 times) increase in available intensive care hospital beds to deal with covid predictions .... 18mths ago. The Alfred Hospitals reknown Burnet Institute has advised that the State needs to be prepped right now for a 2000+ capacity. Our State health system is currently and repeatedly described as crumbling under the current (light covid) load. 18mths ago we had 500 intensive care beds, and today we have ...... um, 500 intensive care beds. The crippled health system currently has less than 83 in thise 500 intensive care beds, 400 short of the rather questionable limit and we're already overwhelmed and we're apparently inline for a onslaught.

Dumbo more than seven years ago promised to resolve the ambulance ramping crisis which existed back then, last Monday as an exmaple the Northern Hospital had 13 ambulances ramped for hours, and Royal Melb's ramping often exceeds 20 on the ramp.

Two days ago Vic Worksafe issued 58 charges against the Dumbo's Govt under Vic's Industrial Manslaughter Laws, all resulting from covid bungles. When Dumbo and his merry band of clown implemented the harshest Workplace Industrial Manslaughter legislation, he forgot to add the obligitory exemption usually slipped into these things making Govts exempt ..... and whoops, now his large industrial stick has just performed an own goal. He may have been able to stage his own 'enquiry' with his hand puppet ex Fed Crt Judge Coates performing like Gerry Gee, but the County Court has those pesky rules of evidence, perjury ... and the stonker of cross-examination. Now, don't get too excited at this point its only one State Govt vs another State Govt Dept which should cost taxpayers well north of $200mill, but depending on the prosecutor could truly test the flogs. Many knuckleheads before them have tripped at the starting gate and copped a few extra personal charges as a result. What will happen then is they will legislate themselves an escape hatch hatch, if they havent already quietly done that. They could be found guilty of offences by that court, but never be held to account because they have the power to exempt themselves. If you dont think this $hit isnt going on all the time ...... think again

Now, are these the people you're suggesting I should trust with my livelihood, my life, my money, my family, my health and my future ??

Anyways ... did you know I drive a Troopy (photo for attention)

View attachment 67566
Well @Crusty181 , with an oratory like that, perhaps you SHOULD get up on your soap box and run for Premier! There are few governments prepared to stick their neck out and be seen to be spending heaps of public money (despite promises) until AFTER they think the need is established. And then it takes 5 years or more to catch up to the old need, while the new need has increase again. We have a situation up here where there is 9 BILLION dollars worth of water recycling and piping sitting around waiting to be used when Brisbane gets down to severe water restrictions again. At the time, people were saying that the Govt should have seen it coming and prepared for the increased population and water usage. When it was completed after the drought had broken, people forgot about the water problem and bemoaned the fact that the money should have been spent on hospitals and education. I remember the water rationing in the mid 70s when I was down in Melbourne and the same situation occurred as to why the Thompson River water supply was not done and why the Upper Yarra dam was not extended to cater for the increasing population of Melbourne.
And yes, we also have problems with ambulance ramping and at the moment we don't have the demand for Covid beds yet. God, I can carry on! I am going to make it a special task to get to chat with you over a few beers ( maybe a lot of beers) when all this is over. I just love debates, but this forum is NOT the place or the time. Forgive me please.

Reactions: Crusty181

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yea I sort of agree @Boots in Action but I reckon it is the pollys fault they start the stupidity by banning us eating lunch in the sheds I'm not saying they where right to do what they did but the rules are and where ...... I can que for coffee 100 deep all chatting with our dogs in a que in Williamstown or Brighton anywhere ..... but I carnt sit in the sheds 1 man per table out of the sun.. wind ... weather ...sheer stupidity and the people ran with it and went crazy
Now how has stopping construction helped our numbers ..... they have exploded while we sit at home stupid rules bring stupid actions by stupid people ....nothing has been done here to get hospitals ready ....they soon will be treating people in car parks if they can get the staff God help us ....
Yeah @Crusty181 , I commiserate with you on what seems unnecessarily restrictive. But your nicely set up "tin shed" where you can sit and chat with your mates over lunch, is the same as placing everybody into a confined space like an aircraft cabin. Going on what happened in NSW, most of the spread in SW Sydney was caused by tradies and workers doing their thing and moving from job to job and then going home to family. And most were NOT vaccinated. Apparently, it is reported that in yesterday's record large Covid numbers, nearly 350 of the new infections were involved in the protest march for some reason and now they have all contracted Covid. Pardon my lack of sympathy, but they deserve all they have now, as obviously not vaccinated. No offence meant to you and your fellow workers, but how many of your work mates and associated friends who you have lunch with are NOT vaccinated or are not going to get the jab? That is your potential risk by eating together in tin shed, and instead of eating in the open where it is cold and windy. Should not be a problem for a tough bugger like you!

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
breaking news:
NSW Premier has resigned!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10...ates-nsw-premier-gladys-berejiklian/100507018

Can't say that I will be shedding any tears.

Hopefully, two bob Dan will be next. Perhaps personal law suites against government staff for negligence, corruption, or whatever, in the 58 current OHS manslaughter charges will jog a few memories that did not come out of the Hotel Quarantine enquiry.

take care
Mike

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Boots in Action, thats what Venting, Ranting, Whinging and all things Political is all about. An Isolated pocket to divert any robust banter while hopefully keeping the rest of forums intended integrity intact.

Im not a fan of politicking, but Im very interested in our parliamentary and legal systems. I studied law just for fun, now there's something you don't hear every day. ;)

I only work in the domestic building industry and I only work for home owners basically renos (i dont work for builders at all). I mostly work alone so my lunchroom is generally pretty safe, and always empty.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yeah @Crusty181 , I commiserate with you on what seems unnecessarily restrictive. But your nicely set up "tin shed" where you can sit and chat with your mates over lunch, is the same as placing everybody into a confined space like an aircraft cabin. Going on what happened in NSW, most of the spread in SW Sydney was caused by tradies and workers doing their thing and moving from job to job and then going home to family. And most were NOT vaccinated. Apparently, it is reported that in yesterday's record large Covid numbers, nearly 350 of the new infections were involved in the protest march for some reason and now they have all contracted Covid. Pardon my lack of sympathy, but they deserve all they have now, as obviously not vaccinated. No offence meant to you and your fellow workers, but how many of your work mates and associated friends who you have lunch with are NOT vaccinated or are not going to get the jab? That is your potential risk by eating together in tin shed, and instead of eating in the open where it is cold and windy. Should not be a problem for a tough bugger like you!
Sorry @Crusty181 , that post was really directed to good old @Bluey , but thanks for the "like" anyway!!!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
@Boots in Action, thats what Venting, Ranting, Whinging and all things Political is all about. An Isolated pocket to divert any robust banter while hopefully keeping the rest of forums intended integrity intact.

Im not a fan of politicking, but Im very interested in our parliamentary and legal systems. I studied law just for fun, now there's something you don't hear every day. ;)

I only work in the domestic building industry and I only work for home owners basically renos (i dont work for builders at all). I mostly work alone so my lunchroom is generally pretty safe, and always empty.
Sorry @Crusty181 , my mistake. my post was really in response to poor @Bluey's problem with having to sit outside instead of inside his work's well set up "tin shed". Is your lunchroom as big and as well furnished as @Bluey's?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Holy Crapoly, I spend all day sorting out a computer and suddenly the keyboards really fire up .............. will read them all later but may I say Politicians are drop kicks, I don;t like or respect them and their capabilities are questionable, I vote for the best of the pile in my opinion, I vote so I can complain............ stay sane fellas...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Sorry @Crusty181 , my mistake. my post was really in response to poor @Bluey's problem with having to sit outside instead of inside his work's well set up "tin shed". Is your lunchroom as big and as well furnished as @Bluey's?
It depends where i am mostly, but i rarely stop for lunch ... the joys of working for yourself. In a research project i conducted i found a potential direct link between the time onsite sitting on my bum eating almost always equals the extra time i need to spend onsite working later on. On occasions i use labourers, they be lounging about while the boss continues to work around them ... seems a little unbalanced now i think about.

In my factory "cafe" (which im both barista and obnoxious customer) i have a old public hall picture of the Queen. The Royal Cafe is quite the venue ... by invitation only of course.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some people I know in Melbourne rang, reckon its all BS and just the government pushing things, they dont know anyone whos crook so its all a conspiracy...or some such gibberish...... Best reason I have heard to let folk be free, culling is certainly needed to improve the gene pool....they live and breath.....

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
So back to work Tuesday and now we are allowed to hang out in the sheds smoko lunch before work after work with beer so work that out so dose any of this make sense I don't make the rules makes no sense to me so back in our plane cabin again along with all the others that will be flying in and out real soon thanks to the smiling assign scmo
See smokos at work on a job site .... I won't sit on a foot path a lot of the time there's no room on a site some sheds are on gantries over the foot path no room for sheds on the job a lot of the time out side of the sheds is a hole or stuff cramed in around the hole scaffold stairs leading into the hole there simply no room if you've Eva been on a dig in the city you'd know so many people are bagging us out well get stuffed to all of them come to our sites tell us where you'd like to have a break in the mud dirt sun wind rain amongst steel concrete rocks stuff piled everywhere cranes machines trenches the sheds the only safe place we end up craneing dirt out as there's no ramp for trucks just a huge hole

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Some people I know in Melbourne rang, reckon its all BS and just the government pushing things, they dont know anyone whos crook so its all a conspiracy...or some such gibberish...... Best reason I have heard to let folk be free, culling is certainly needed to improve the gene pool....they live and breath.....
The virus exists, and people have died both from it (and with it)

But .... Ill still declare myself as a conspiracy theorist. Our Govt just cant possible be so completely incomptent by accident. Chinese, Russians ... someone has pumped up these soft toys :bolt:

After 200 days in purgatory its very very easy indeed to sigh, shrug, say enough's enough, and open this damn ghost State up, and ill just take my chances

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
So back to work Tuesday and now we are allowed to hang out in the sheds smoko lunch before work after work with beer so work that out so dose any of this make sense I don't make the rules makes no sense to me so back in our plane cabin again along with all the others that will be flying in and out real soon thanks to the smiling assign scmo
See smokos at work on a job site .... I won't sit on a foot path a lot of the time there's no room on a site some sheds are on gantries over the foot path no room for sheds on the job a lot of the time out side of the sheds is a hole or stuff cramed in around the hole scaffold stairs leading into the hole there simply no room if you've Eva been on a dig in the city you'd know so many people are bagging us out well get stuffed to all of them come to our sites tell us where you'd like to have a break in the mud dirt sun wind rain amongst steel concrete rocks stuff piled everywhere cranes machines trenches the sheds the only safe place we end up craneing dirt out as there's no ramp for trucks just a huge hole
It's a tough life @Bluey , but I know you can handle it!!!!

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
It's a tough life @Bluey , but I know you can handle it!!!!
We will see Tuesday when I take pics of my proof of the jab but then at work some goon from the builder will wants to access my ....mygov and I will say no heres my proof I'd say I will be going home I just don't think it's right how there doing it no card as proof not linked to the check in system
So what's next Macca's KFC bunnings milk bar servos everyone wants access to your my gov As proof ??????? stupid decisions brings stupid actions

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have always tried to avoid Smoko rooms much preferring my truck or sitting on some pallets outside, smoko rooms, smell, people talking sh*t amnd always some bluddy whinger ................................ Far better to be away from site and pulled up by some creek......................
My good mate Pete and I would rarely venture into the room, we didn't like working with some of the buggas why would we want to spend our breaks with 'em........:D:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Disco Duck

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I have always tried to avoid Smoko rooms much preferring my truck or sitting on some pallets outside, smoko rooms, smell, people talking sh*t amnd always some bluddy whinger ................................ Far better to be away from site and pulled up by some creek......................
My good mate Pete and I would rarely venture into the room, we didn't like working with some of the buggas why would we want to spend our breaks with 'em........:D:D:D
Yea if I had truck I wouldn't either but we have covid cleaners after 7 after 930 and after lunch then at night getting cleaned 4 times a day our rooms are pretty good fully decked out tables marked by the company you work for x amount for 1 company and so on

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Bluey You can either get the Digital certificate saved to your Google Pay or Apple Wallet or down;load the certificate onto your phone in pdf file and either is Certified Proof, a printed copy is legal proof if some yob doesn't except it then drag them before the IR court............. Employer, Union or any other official cannot demand you give them access to your MYGov site, My Health Record or other record keeping places that in itself is an offence....... Police need a Court Order....

Luckily I had all my gear, tucker, coffee, great music all set up in the cab............... tried not to be in the yard anyway..................

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
So I've just heard Nsw is scrapping covid jab rules Vax or unvax 1st December so 6 weeks of madness maybe here too but I don't think he will scrap any rules .....
So I can get on train Vax or UN vaxed tram Vax UN Vaxed go to maccas sit down and eat Vax UN vaxed que for coffee Vax UN vaxed go to servo Vax.. un vaxed
But I carnt go to work vaxed ...UN vaxed really ....... go to a market vaxed unvaxed go to Coles wollies vaxed or UN vaxed But not work
Is it really making sense
Thanks for above info @Drover

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Lockdown World Champions, go us. Thats why Dumbo is the best of the best, no one can come near this blokes skill set.

Beat that the rest of you pretenders.

Heres some raw stats in round figures to mull over while us Mexicans are under house arrest and the state continues to be plunged into an economic abyss for small business ... or a period of unprecedented profit and handouts for big business.

Chance of catching Covid in vic is 0.6%. The death rate is 2%. Deaths are statistically heavy skewed toward specific risk groups, the elderly and the health compromised. As of today the 40% not double dosed pose a broad statistical mortality rate of 312.

Most of that 312 are the identified risk groups, and in other countries risk groups have been successfully managed and protected. With some fact based measured and balanced modification to behaviours the economy and those poor bastards being hammered could begin to pick up the pieces.

..... or we just continue to do the same thing over and over and over and all just stay at home, and continue to watch Netflix.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wonder if you will get a short break of freedom before the international students flock into Melbourne Uni's and we go into a National lockdown ...... between them and the Bali brigade we should be in for some strife I reckon............. well city folk will be for sure, rural may miss it except for the big places.......

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 , what is the broad Statistical mortality rate of 312 a reference to? Is this a rate per population of xx or that 312 of the 40% unvaccinated are likely to die? I’m a simpleton when it comes to statistics but do understand that you can make statistics support any cause or argument.
Ha, current infection rate per population 6.7mill peep and 40k infections till now equals an infection rate of 0.6%. The death rate of 900 total into those 40k infections equals a mortality rate of 2% of those infected. Just all that applied to the people not double vaxxed right now. Its just an outcome based on nothing more than whats happened statistically so far until today. There are a few variables that will affect it both up and down.