Untidy electrics

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
I agree also except that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Very true. I've long gone past being embarassed at not knowing answers.

The major problem with something new is knowing the question. Again, even in that, the forum will often help with leads to the question.

Maybe a sticky post of points to ponder for new owners would be worthwhile???

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
You are correct about second hand vans, especially in the hands of a novice like myself.

Tailor

I would be quite happy with buying a van off you because you are ready to ask questions and ensure that you are doing the right thing. The van that we bought had all the right stuff but it wasn't installed correctly. Not only electrical items but also to do with the water system and the 12 V pump. I have had to spend some time fixing it up but I got a lot of the info from here.:help:

With a lot of experience behind me, I now feel confident about what to look for in buying a van. Whether new or second hand the check list would be much the same.

The beauty of this site is the amount of help offered by others in the forums. I feel I can ask what I think is a stupid question, and still get a sensible answer.

No such thing as a stupid question, as ChartRock said it's the one you don't ask that will get you into trouble plus you will get everyone saying they were too scared to ask it.

Very true. I've long gone past being embarassed at not knowing answers.

Me too!!!!:doh: Keep an eye out for the next Queensland meet because it sounds like we need to discuss similar items over a beer or several...

Just a quick note about the j-boxes, I would be looking at possibly putting a steel cover (or using the old one) over the junction box as they don't handle sharp blows too well, eg like from a rock flicked up...

Cheers :)

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Me too!!!! Keep an eye out for the next Queensland meet because it sounds like we need to discuss similar items over a beer or several...

Several beers, seems like the go. Would be great to meet up with like minded people. I'll watch for the next meet and hope it doesn't clash with anything the travel advisor has planned. Helps to have a better half to take care of such matters as I can do more interesting things. Next week, a week at Cottontree with trwo grandkids, then sometime later a week at Brunswick Heads with Kiwi visitors, followed by a week in Winton/Longreach. Won't take the van for this, After that a couple of weeks at Fraser Is. again without the van. I would like to squeeze in a trip to Fraser or Moreton with the van, but damned work gets in the way. She who must be obeyed has a 14 day cruise booked for Nov. in honour of 50 years married, then we are going down to Stawell, Vic for a few days at Christmas for a family gathering. Next year, who knows what she has on the agenda. Just writing about it has me feeling tired.

I would be looking at possibly putting a steel cover (or using the old one) over the junction box as they don't handle sharp blows too well

I agree with that and it's on the agenda when I can get a few minutes spare, the old cover is a piece of s**t scrap from the checkerplate on the sides. Rough as guts. I'll probably get a piece of .55 colorbond folded up.

I was dubious about sealing my container as I guessed water would somehow get in. Drilling drain holes and using the "waterproof" connectors was the next best go I thought. Just had a thought that packing it with waterproof grease might be OK so long as it wasn't conductive.

Cheers

John

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well I started internal lighting mod I mentioned earlier in the year today.have removed overhead cupboard for a look and was amazed at some of the wiring and associated connections.factory fitting must have been under the pump when built our van as most of the terminations were just screwed through the insulation!none of the striped back was done.mupset t.will show as I finish the dinette lighting mod.much l my external strip lighting.swmbo wants lighting mod done over sink prep area now too.cheers.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
I was dubious about sealing my container as I guessed water would somehow get in. Drilling drain holes and using the "waterproof" connectors was the next best go I thought. Just had a thought that packing it with waterproof grease might be OK so long as it wasn't conductive.

Hey John

I thought I was busy... :juggle:

We will hopefully get a date and location going soon for the next one.

You can keep these boxes sealed up ok, just make sure the cable entries are sealed and the O Ring for lid is in the right place. If you have any concerns that water is getting in, just need to check it by dropping the lid off when you get back home.

Having the cables with the grease or similar is great until you have to do some work, then it is just a big mess. With 12 V the connections can take some moisture but just check it regularly for problems.

Cheers

Gil

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
We will hopefully get a date and location going soon for the next one.

I'll be looking for the details whenever I get home

You can keep these boxes sealed up ok, just make sure the cable entries are sealed and the O Ring for lid is in the right place. If you have any concerns that water is getting in, just need to check it by dropping the lid off when you get back home.

I understand what you say about the grease. Probably your ideas are the better way. This being my first attempt I really wanted to clean some stuff out of my garage :lol:

I not sure I want to see the original wiring from Pace's van. I've seen too much messy stuff already.

Cheers

John