Untidy electrics

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
I really dislike a mare's nest of electrical wires, so since we've had our 16.49OB I've loathed looking at the mess where the trailer wires are joined. I had a few bits and pieces lying around in the garage, so finally got of my b*m, gathered them up and made it a little more tidy.

It's a really strong plastic box, but even so I will probably add a metal guard to it so it will not be damaged by stones. The four holes in the bottom are to let any moisture escape. Had planned to leave it sealed, but thought better of it.

The other thing I dislike is having cables and hoses resting on the hand brake cable, so I've added a few more saddles where necessary.

IMG_0250.JPG

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Nice one Tailor, I did the same except i used a waterproof J box. I also ran my cable from the anderson plug into the box and up through the floor for charging my battery.

Cheers.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Nice one, That is still on my "TO DO" list although I hadn't given it that much thought.

is the box from Jaycar I think I have seen that type of box there?

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
The J box is a good idea. Ive had that plastic one which I got for another project for a couple of years and was wondering how to make use of it. voila!

My anderson plug cable goes directly from the front along the chassis and up through the floor to the battery. Same idea I guess. Anyway anything which helps make it more safe and tidy is good for me.

Did a similar thing with the rear view camera cable , putting it through the front of the chassis. Neat tidy and less likely to get damaged. The yellow paint is supposedly for safety, but makes it easier to see when hitching up.

Cheers

John

IMG_0251.JPG

Reactions: Big Gee

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Yes Big Gee, I'm pretty sure that's where I got it. They also have alloy ones about the same size, but I was happy to get this one used. Also had to use new connectors, and had some waterproof ones on hand, also from jaycar. They don't have everything I need, but more than most.

I found these when looking for a connector for my OX winch. When salvaged they cut off the plug going to the solenoid assembly. I asked TJM if I could buy a harness. NO, had to buy the whole assembly at $230. All it took was removing the solder on the spade terminals, and making a new harness with one of these fittings, and putting the other side on the control cable. I used a second one filled with silicone as a water proof stopper. Works OK and a lot cheaper.

IMG_0252.JPG

kolega

Jan 16, 2012
I have had several new Jayco camperers over the years and I agree the plumbing and electrics under the Van were always a mess. However I did pickup my Brand new 17.56.2 Expanda 2 weeks ago and I am impressed with the Quality, including how Tidy the underneath plumbing and electrics are. Perhaps Jayco is lifting their game or was I just Lucky this time?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hopefully they have improved, I'll let you know when we get our new one in September but I'm prepared to do the J box thing again!

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Perhaps Jayco is lifting their game or was I just Lucky this time?

It would be nice if they are getting things more tidy. I was told a few weeks ago by Coast to Coast that they acknowledged they had quality problems and were fixing them. My expanda is a 2008 and the plumbing and electrics are\were pretty shabby. I still have to tidy up the plumbing. All in due time I suppose. Still not enough hours in the day (or night).

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I was disappointed to say the least when I found a bird’s nest of a junction point under the new van last year so I tidied it up as well. What was harder to deal with was that fact that they couldn’t fit a number of wires into the same screw connector and proceeded to chop a quarter of the strands off each wire to fit them in, when all it required was a slightly larger connector. I then decided to check over the whole van wiring!

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Seems to be a familiar tale. Lugs to battery were not crimped properly, spade terminals to setec were loose enough to drop off. Till I found these faults I couldn't figure why the 12v lighting was spasmodic, when it did work. Certainly were lacking in quality supervision, or had too many orders to handle.

I must admit they used big BP connectors in my case. Easily fitted 3 x 6mm wires, and room for more. Must have run out of these if they reduced the strands on yours. Equivalent of using a smaler wire diameter althogether.

At the same time I realise they are built to a price, and pretty good value.

Other than replacing the 240v element in the Surbaban, I think I'm nearly fixed up with the electrics. Yahoo!!

Cheers

John

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Here's mine, I also used waterproof gland nuts. The trailer plug and anderson wires come in the front and the wires for the lights, fridge and earth out the back.

Inside the box all wires that were twisted together are now soldered and insulated.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Picture 662.jpg
    Picture 662.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
  • Picture 663.jpg
    Picture 663.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 275
  • Picture 664.jpg
    Picture 664.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 270
Reactions: ROnEM

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks RO,

It took a couple of hours, next time will be quicker. There was a bit of muckin around with the factory plugs as they need to be removed so you can get cables through. The pins in these plugs have small barbs on the side to stop them from coming out, I used a small piece of brass tubing just the right size so that when you push the tubing over these pins it presses the barbs in so you can pull the pins out if that makes sense.
After that it's pretty straight forward, once all wires have been fed through the nuts and hole in box you just push the pins back in to the plugs and make sure all the colours match on wires. The box I used was about 200x150 but I can check if you like, any smaller and you'll struggle too fit all wires and plugs in.

Cheers.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Burnsy,

As always, thanks for the helpful tips. The tip on the plug barbs will save much time and headaches for the rest of us trying to emulate your mastery.

I am assuming this is an IP65 rated Polycarbonate Junction Box?

Ro

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Ro,

It's about an IP54 rated, like what you find outside buildings/houses etc. So water proof but probably not under high pressure but it does have an O ring seal under lid.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Seems to be a familiar tale. Lugs to battery were not crimped properly, spade terminals to setec were loose enough to drop off. Till I found these faults I couldn't figure why the 12v lighting was spasmodic, when it did work. Certainly were lacking in quality supervision, or had too many orders to handle.

Here, here! Even worse if you get a Friday van...

Still finding some interesting wiring on the van. Problem with a second hand van is that I am not only tidying up the original issues but also what the previous owners did. Good learning experience though...

Glad to see the new vans are going well and that there is some very neat and professional fixes happening.

And yes there are never enough hours in the day...

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Still finding some interesting wiring on the van. Problem with a second hand van is that I am not only tidying up the original issues but also what the previous owners did. Good learning experience though...

You are correct about second hand vans, especially in the hands of a novice like myself. Initially I couldn't understand why I had no 12v lighting in my expanda. Battery box was there, strapped down, but going to check the voltage, I found there was no battery. Guess the previous owner or dealer had a use for it. After I installed a new battery, the fun began.

For a short time we had another van, not a Jayco. It was all wired for 12V, but when I went looking for the battery and management system, there wasn't any. Guess what is the first question when buying another?

With a lot of experience behind me, I now feel confident about what to look for in buying a van. Whether new or second hand the check list would be much the same.

The beauty of this site is the amount of help offered by others in the forums. I feel I can ask what I think is a stupid question, and still get a sensible answer.