Tyres

Oct 21, 2012
Hi all,
Pajero is up for new tyres just wondering what everyone is running tossing up between Micky Thompson mtz or cooper st maxx interested to see what you are using and how you find them thanks in advance.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I guess you know ones a mud and ones an A/T, have you also thought about ATZ 4 Rib Mickeys if your leaning towards those to brands as the ATZ is more of an A/T like the st maxx.

I have the st Maxx but only recently. So far I'm impressed with them on the BT, I have done just short of 8k on them with 6300km of that towing and 1050km towing on outback dirt roads. They haven't shown any signs of chipping etc and some of the roads were quite rocky (gibbers).

I guess it also depends on what kind of driving you are planning on doing to.

My brother has travelled to every state towing with the ATZ's on a GU Patrol and the have also been a great wearing tyre. He didn't get as many K's out of the MTZ's though.

Like anything there is a lot of variables these are just a few of my experiences with the 2 tyres you asked about.
GOOD LUCK :)

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Had the Cooper ST Maxx on my previous Hilux, they only lasted just over 15 k before scolloping and becoming unbalancable. Have the Cooper AT3 on the ranger, first set did 70k which included highway, mine site, dirt, off road and towing, very happy with them

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
Hey 14.44-4 Pajero,

Mate I had the MT MTZ on my last car. I was incredibly disappointed in them. They chipped very badly offroad and they were over the top noisy on the bitumen (even for a mud tyre). I did Rocky to Cairns towing the van and a cape trip on them in a 12 month period and they were stuffed inside 20,000k and I rotated them 5 times. At well over $400 a tyre that was an expensive lesson. One positive though is that for a muddy, they handled very well on the bitumen. I put BFG KM2 Muds on after this and they were better offroad and much quieter on the road. I don't think they handled as well on the bitumen but the difference was minimal. I sold the car with 22,000 odd k on the BFGs and whilst they had worn, they still had in excess of 50% tread left. The BFGs also chipped up offroad on a couple of rougher tracks, but nothing like the MTs.

Can't comment on the Cooper ST Maxx as I have never owned them, but I have heard good and bad things.

I personally have the BFG ATRs on now and these have been great. 15,000k on them so far and they do not even look like wearing. They are almost as quiet as the highway tyres I took off and handle 5 times better. I have towed the van Rocky to Airlie on them and they are equally at home on road and off. We are towing the van to Cairns again in September on them so will be interesting to see what they are like after another 2,500 odd k of highway towing + the Creb and Bloomfield tracks.

Obviously the ATRs are never going to be as good as a muddy offroad (especially in bog holes). Likewise the Muddy onroad. I think it comes down to what driving you will be doing and finding a balance between the two. Personally, I would never have a muddy again for a daily drive, towing or touring. Modern ATRs, especially the more aggressive ST Maxx will go pretty much anywhere the average 4x4 driver wants to go. (Having said that, when we do our next cape trip I will be putting muds on for this.)

Good Luck with your research. :)

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
AT3's on the Prado and so far done 61,000k's and just over half worn. Actually looks like more tread than most oem tyres have on them even after 61,000. Grip great, not much road noise at all and are very good in the wet.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Recently changed from Cooper ST's to Goodyear Wrangler MTR with Kevlar. Although I was extremely happy with the performance of the Coopers and their wear rate, they suffered extensively from chipping and losing lugs. A lot of my driving is in the VIC High Country with rocky tracks. Only time will tell how the MTR's stack up but I haven't found to many negative comments about them.

Oct 21, 2012
Thanks for quick replies, I have the older cooper ats on now got 80 000 out of them just wanted something a little more aggressive, mate has the mt mtz got 60 000 out of them he said they were noisy when worn down about 50% but good grip, I like the look of the st maxx just heard a few bad things about coopers with blew outs, yeah it's confusing cruza driver just good to hear what people think who run different tyres, can't trust magazines as they promote the ones that sponser them

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I had a set of coppers but had troubles with them see the picture below and check if you can tell the problem :)!

For me the tyres where exceptional, minimal road noise and very capable off road but the customer service really let them down.

That said, I went out with @Moto Moto and @relgate over the weekend and tthe stand out where the coppers on the day.

@relgate had the AT3's and it was a very capable tyre we did some very technical sections with big rocks, gravel tree trunks and all manner of other stuff and the tyres where under alot of pressure both physically and perfomance wise but they held up exceptionally well.

So much so the bad issues aside I am speaking with a few tyre shops about going back to Coppers myself know but under the strict proviso if they look like the below they don't get put on my vehicle and I will be inspecting them before they get put on.

100_1534-jpg.16494

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Have the ST MAXX on our patrol and wouldn't buy anything else now, they have done close to 40,000km including a cape trip towing our old swan and wouldn't be half worn yet. Very good on all road surfaces and in the wet. No chipping or missing lugs and no punctures yet , touch wood. They are a totally new design than all the old coopers so your cant really compare the 2. They are also a more aggressive tread than most all terrain tyres without being like a mud tyre, so much more capable than most all terrains. Also quiet on the black top.

Reactions: Capt. Gadget

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great replies I too will be looking for boots this time next year and I am thinking Coopers,Mickey T's or BFGs as well so I am keen to hear more responses.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Had BFG's on one of my Pajero's and they were pretty good on and off road

Then had Bridgestones on the last 4wd and reshoed it with some Kumho KL78's at the advice of a couple of mates and they are bloody good for the price, aggressive tread, hang on to the road and grip in the dirt!

Got Coopers on the cruiser and I don't know about them yet!

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I had BFG LTs on my Jillaroo. Funny story, I went into ARB Thomastown looking to replace my OEMs, and they mentioned they had second of almost new BFGs. Apparently a customer bought tem for his Disco, but didn't like the noise or ride, so swapped for some highway terrains. I paid 10 slabs of VB for al, five BFGs fitted and balanced. Great tyres, and can get replacements anywhere if you need them,

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I'm with Chooky on the Cooper ST Maxx's had a set on my Navara and now a set on the Ranger also have a set of Cooper HT's on the Missus's Xtrail they way they are wearing I dont think I'll ever have to buy another set !

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I had at various times Micky T MT/Z, BFG ATs, Maxxis Bighorns, Kuhmo KL78 on the Pathfinder. Best offroad (for me) was the Bighorns. I'd buy them again in a second if I could get a set to fit the Disco.....
Got Cooper Zeons AT on at the moment and they too are fantastic, but made for big rims 18-24"

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
Will also be in the market this year for new boots for the Prado, so reading with interest. What about Bridgestone D697 LT A/T's any comments good bad or indifferent? Had been considering these.

HM

Last edited: