Tyre pressure

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
mine is running pure air
Man!!! Thats just crazy! :crazy: :dizzy:
Haven't you read the studies - Nitrogen looses an average 1.3 PSI less over a year, so those air filled tyres will be soooo under-inflated. The air you're pumping in is just standard air with is only 72% nitrogen, as opposed to 95% in jayco/race car/Nissan GTR tyres. That 23% is going to be be so unpredictable on the road, increase your fuel usage, loose traction.....
....in case i'm unclear, I do think it is a little bit of a gimmick...:lol:

Race cars have in their tyres as do large planes due to the temps the tyres get to when used (ie 200-300km/h). As I understand it, it is at those extreme temps the nitrogen might have a slight advantage. Don't know about you guys, I don't tend to tow at those speeds too often :smile:

Reactions: relgate

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Race cars have in their tyres as do large planes due to the temps the tyres get to when used (ie 200-300km/h). As I understand it, it is at those extreme temps the nitrogen might have a slight advantage. Don't know about you guys, I don't tend to tow at those speeds too often

Aircraft also do it to stop the tyres falling off the rims at altitude due to pressure decrease and cold temperatures. Often used to see -65 deg C at 37,000' in my last job.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Man!!! Thats just crazy! :crazy:
Haven't you read the studies - Nitrogen looses an average 1.3 PSI less over a year, so those air filled tyres will be soooo under-inflated. The air you're pumping in is just standard air with is only 72% nitrogen, as opposed to 95% in jayco/race car/Nissan GTR tyres. That 23% is going to be be so unpredictable on the road, increase your fuel usage, loose traction.....
....in case i'm unclear, I do think it is a little bit of a gimmick...:lol:

Race cars have in their tyres as do large planes due to the temps the tyres get to when used (ie 200-300km/h). As I understand it, it is at those extreme temps the nitrogen might have a slight advantage. Don't know about you guys, I don't tend to tow at those speeds too often :smile:
:clap2:
I wanted to keep the balance right between the Expanda and the Cruiser that is why I dumped the nitrogen out of the Expanda's tyres. Yes I now its a fine balancing act but I think I may just be onto something as it seems to tow quite well.

OR..........

Maybe I need to replace the air with nitrogen as last week when I was towing at 256.02kmh in 4th gear I lost traction (not a nice felling)but maybe if I had nitrogen in my tyres this would not happen so I will try to keep it below 200kmh in the future.

Thanks for the tip SD

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
i'll vote for that:humble:

what do we win (other than the intangible respect and adoration)????? :lol: A couple of laps around Sandown in the Cruiser?

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
Moto moto ask Santa for the arb air compressor he should know all about them I have already worded him up about mine just tell him you want the same as Simon getting cos he has been good all year(he also should give you a tyre repair kit this month )

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Salsimo - you might also want to remind Santa that Kilsyth ARB has an open day on Sat 3rd, and the air compressors are usually discounted or come with extra accessories at such events (as mine can attest to)
9-3.30, Garden St, Kilstyh

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Gday All,

I've run mine at 32 for the past year when I noticed the compliance plate has a recommended pressure of 375kpa (55psi)! At 32 they look pretty flat and economy hasn't been the best. The tyre wall has a max inflation pressure of 450kpa (65psi).

They are light truck tyres, 14 inch - perhaps that makes a difference. Anyway - I pumped them to 55psi and it towed better IMO, better economy, far less sluggish. At 32 psi the outside of the tyres was wearing as well which suggests under inflation.

Has anyone else got the same on their compliance plates? Why would one have 200 and another 375?

Cheers

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
For those interested, Jayco responded by saying that the compliance plate figure is correct, 55psi in my case, although recommended this was dropped to 50ish for ride comfort.

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
So I started the big lap today and set my cold tyre pressure to 43 kpa before I left van towed really well when we pulled over for a rest I checked them hot and it was 49 kpa is that telling me I need to put more in or take some out?

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@Angus I run my tyres at max PSI on the road for better fuel consumption, most of all I find that the van sits better on the road in regards to swaying if a truck goes past as well.
If going down gravel tracks I tend to reduce my tyre pressures to aid in a smother ride also.

Hope that helps

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
Thanks skippy that's what I found from today's leg not even a hint of sway from oncoming trucks using that tyre pressure my only concern was the rise in pressure as it was more than the 4kpa rise that is talked about so much.

Reactions: skippy

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
What was interesting for me was that my 20.63.1 OB was delivered with 33psi in the tyres - so you would think that the dealer would have that right. After viewing a tyre pressure thread I had a good look at my pressures and found that the compliance plate in the van indicated 310 kpa (45 psi) cold and 345 kpa (50 psi) cold (max load). The tyres have a max pressure of 65 psi. Now the tyres are at the compliance plate levels and she handles better and my fuel economy is better. So in my case - setting at the recommended pressures was the right thing to do.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Compliance plate should be used as a guide, it's a guess really. Check the load rating of the tyre fitted, check the weight of your van,not what the plate says, make sure the tyre is load rated for your rig, using the tyre load rating and the van weight you should have a figure as to what your tyre pressure should be and this would normally be at least 55psi on a single axle. Cold to running pressure diff is ball park figure at 4 psi not 4 kpa. If your running the highway with a 2t rig under 50 psi you are looking at wear, handling and other problems.
Tyres as fitted to my rig only just made the weight rating, the ones I fitted exceed the weight of my van comfortably, I don't like running at the max setting.
Bob Jane T Mart site has a handy load rating chart, check it out.
Remember most dealers are salesmen and pass on hearsay....................................