Triton towing 16.49.1 expanda - do we need wdh?

RidgePanda

Mar 5, 2013
Barden Ridge
Ha, great post RidgePanda!
Don't tempt me, I'd be there in a flash to get my hands dirty, I'll bring the tow ball grease! ;)

Actually was really interesting to read yours thoughts on the much debated WDH. We too have the HR 550 and wouldn't be without it.

When we bought our Expanda I had some pretty lengthy conversations with my brother Jason who works for the RTA in one of the mobile units doing random roadside checks. In his RTA vehicle are the separate independent scales, so not only can he check the ATM, GTM etc of trucks but can also looks at the different weights placed on each wheel and axle. I won't go in depth as to our conversation but will say at the end I was 100% all for WDH, and wouldn't tow without it.

IMO at the end of the day, it keeps me and my family safe as well as other road users, and you can't put a price on that!

Oh and RidgePanda the surf at Crescent just kept getting better and better, Andrew is now comparing it to Uluwatu and says he hasn't had such perfect waves in years! Still waiting for you to come to Manly! Maybe the June long weekend for the Snowy McAlister Festival. :)

Be tempted :)

And yes the surf has been good, my mates went out and got 3' walls at cronulla mid morning yesterday in boardies and i was in the office........It hurts, and it took pleading for them to even bring me a decent coffee.........

Reactions: Lara

Peter D

Jun 12, 2011
Brisbane
The Triton must have one of the longest overhangs behind the rear wheels of any vehicle on the road (that is, the tow ball is a long way rear of the rear axle compared to most other cars), so when you put a lot of weight on the towball, it makes for a lot of leverage. It's a ute, so it probably has fairly heavy springs, which will only disguise the amount of weight the caravan puts on the towball. The more weight on the towball, and the more leverage, adds up to less downward pressure on the front wheels.

Therefore, WDH FTW!

It may have been un-noticed sidewinds, but one time I found my rig got wobbly when I had empty jerry cans (stored on the front triangle between the gas bottles), and empty water tanks. It went away when I filled the jerry cans. So I thought maybe a bit of weight between the van axles and the tug might act as ballast to stabilise sway. So I don't necessarily see that the weight of the wdh itself is a big problem.

Also, airbags on leaf spring suspension can be disasterous if pushed too far. I've heard of bent chassis from going over dunes while towing with a Triton.

Reactions: RidgePanda