Triton towing 16.49.1 expanda - do we need wdh?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
We had the Hayman Reece 550 WDH fitted in February for $770, and wouldn't be without it!
We tow a 16.49-1 OB with Kluger Grande.

Reactions: skippy

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Eaz Lift.jpg

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10958

:) IF anyone is interested this is the WDH I have which is American and is pretty good Quality $438.10. See link above>>

#!

Skip

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Okay, so I chose not to use the WDH. Firstly, on it's own it add's another stack of weight - these kits are not light. I have towed with Falcons and towed with Territory, similar rules apply. The typical 4 pivot plate underneath the ball with 4 sway bars provides ample stability in adverse conditions. Testimonial to this was driving south through SE QLD during Januarys insane wild weather and high winds, stability of my 16.41 was perfect. I have also towed without WDH on loads up to 200kg on the ball or 2t without headache.
& for my bayinner 19ft boat i used to tow a few years back with a kluger without WDH or sway bars, again this was a heavy load & far more than the 16 panda! hope this input gives you some more feedback

RidgePanda

Mar 5, 2013
Barden Ridge
Luk77y - The typical 4 pivot plate underneath the ball with 4 sway bars provides ample stability in adverse conditions.

What sort of sway bars you use?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Just thought I would add into this as we are looking at a triton not for a while yet but doing the research it would seem Mitsibushi actuall recommends the use of a WDH whith there tow bar....

On another note not sure if you have read this thread its a really contentious issue and there is no response on what actually caused it but some people tend to think air bags added to the cause of failure -

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=99859

Don't want to give to much confusing information but as you can see there is no one ruling thought on the issue.

As much as I love airbags if Mitsubishi recommend a WDH then I will go that path when it comes time to get a Triton just maintain the warranty peoples happiness :)!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I didn't think they went any higher than 125kgs ball load, which is why people have to go the next step up being WDH.

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Lara, not sure - but I have no problem with them. WDH add massive number of KG to the back axle/draw bar. I only use a WDH if I need it. The 16.41 handles beautifully, on the 125kg sway bars. Our tow tug sits even, weight distribution is within 25mm front to back, never incurred a snake effect of the van. It satisfies safety requirements...

If I had a issue with the gear, I would drop the 550 HR Kit on, but it dosn't need it. :) The WDH is a right pain, so only use it if it's required.

Greg & Janette

Dec 29, 2012
Hi All
I am still undecided if I will end up buying WDH but time will tell. However I was reading on an other site that you could void your vehicles warranty by fitting them. There was a number of stories especially of X-trail and Santa Fe owners who ended up with damage by using a HDH. Just putting this out there for comment and if anyone else has heard similar things.

LUK77Y

Dec 22, 2012
Central Coast - NSW
Hey Greg,
Best thing you can do, if concerns around warranty are worrying. Contact dealer support or your local service center for clarification.
You can always, buy them later on if you were too leverage sway bars instead. Just take it easy & see how you go.
Also have a chat to a local trailer yard.
The last thing you would want to do is void warranty.

Cheers/
Luke

summer01

Jan 25, 2013
Thanks everyone for your comments, definately food for thought. We towed our van (unloaded) with our new triton and it towed beautifully and car remained level. However when we loaded the van for holidays and put four bikes in the ute , things were a bit different and triton did drop at back slightly.... So we felt we needed the wdh , and the triton has towed beautifully again..

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Summer01,

I think you made the right decision. I didn't want a WDH so installed airbags. While the airbags leveled the cruiser (I know we're not talking about a Triton - but the concept is the same) it didn't stop the rock & roll and I could feel (sense) that my front wheels did not have the positive contact with the bitumen that I was use to. So, as mentioned on here earlier, for the safety of my family I spent $550 and I bought the Hayman Reece WDH.

As you can see from our avatar pic, we are pretty well loaded up, so the combination of airbags and WDH work really well for us...just my thoughts.

Cheers James

RidgePanda

Mar 5, 2013
Barden Ridge
I went to the camping show today, and after watching the distribution of weight without and then with the HR WDH I was convinced. The demo at the show had scales on all the wheels and even though I have a triton with the 1 tonne carrying capacity, when you think about the see saw effect from the overhang at the tow ball you can picture the changing weight on the front wheels in particular..........and that was it.

So for Sydney people thinking about the purchase the HR 550 standard was $610 but also included the sway control.

But wait theres more, the kit includes the sway control for the same price.

The EAZ-Lift was $510 in the same package but frankly didnt gel with the guy he took no time to explain how it worked, just said mate its the one.............so was happy to pay the extra $100 to a brand that took the time to explain in laymans terms why it would work, and what it adds in safety.

Now just to fit it............ Lara what are you up to on the weekend :D

Reactions: skippy and Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I went to the camping show today, and after watching the distribution of weight without and then with the HR WDH I was convinced. The demo at the show had scales on all the wheels and even though I have a triton with the 1 tonne carrying capacity, when you think about the see saw effect from the overhang at the tow ball you can picture the changing weight on the front wheels in particular..........and that was it.

So for Sydney people thinking about the purchase the HR 550 standard was $610 but also included the sway control.

But wait theres more, the kit includes the sway control for the same price.

The EAZ-Lift was $510 in the same package but frankly didnt gel with the guy he took no time to explain how it worked, just said mate its the one.............so was happy to pay the extra $100 to a brand that took the time to explain in laymans terms why it would work, and what it adds in safety.

Now just to fit it............ Lara what are you up to on the weekend :D

Ha, great post RidgePanda!
Don't tempt me, I'd be there in a flash to get my hands dirty, I'll bring the tow ball grease! ;)

Actually was really interesting to read yours thoughts on the much debated WDH. We too have the HR 550 and wouldn't be without it.

When we bought our Expanda I had some pretty lengthy conversations with my brother Jason who works for the RTA in one of the mobile units doing random roadside checks. In his RTA vehicle are the separate independent scales, so not only can he check the ATM, GTM etc of trucks but can also looks at the different weights placed on each wheel and axle. I won't go in depth as to our conversation but will say at the end I was 100% all for WDH, and wouldn't tow without it.

IMO at the end of the day, it keeps me and my family safe as well as other road users, and you can't put a price on that!

Oh and RidgePanda the surf at Crescent just kept getting better and better, Andrew is now comparing it to Uluwatu and says he hasn't had such perfect waves in years! Still waiting for you to come to Manly! Maybe the June long weekend for the Snowy McAlister Festival. :)

Reactions: RidgePanda