Suspension Toasted tyres

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi @Drover , would way out of balance (on that wheel only) cause uneven wear on van as it does on cars and tugs??

It can show as a small flat spot on tread which can be an out of round tyre and/or balance, it can also be from a wheel locking up and making a flat spot which in turn will have the wheel out of balance, it also throws other problems as well, serious wobble could cause bearing fail/wear even studs could be stressed but in those cases you would certainly feel the shuddering........ something to check when the cupboards start shedding screws while driving on good roads.

If you look at your rims, on car or trailer and they have a heap of weights stuck inside (alloy) or hanging off the edge (steel) then take them in to a proper tyre shop and get them properly balanced, lots of lead show the person balancing that wheel didn't know what he was doing and he was chasing the bubble, its an art to balance properly and at times requires moving the tyre around the rim, the less weight added the better the trim. On new tyres they should have red and/or yellow dots they show certain things which I forget which is which now but should be inline or very close to the valve stem and aid balance, so less weights needed............... if they want to fit bang on weights on alloy rims go somewhere else, stick on only no lead banged on anywhere.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
It can show as a small flat spot on tread which can be an out of round tyre and/or balance, it can also be from a wheel locking up and making a flat spot which in turn will have the wheel out of balance, it also throws other problems as well, serious wobble could cause bearing fail/wear even studs could be stressed but in those cases you would certainly feel the shuddering........ something to check when the cupboards start shedding screws while driving on good roads.

If you look at your rims, on car or trailer and they have a heap of weights stuck inside (alloy) or hanging off the edge (steel) then take them in to a proper tyre shop and get them properly balanced, lots of lead show the person balancing that wheel didn't know what he was doing and he was chasing the bubble, its an art to balance properly and at times requires moving the tyre around the rim, the less weight added the better the trim. On new tyres they should have red and/or yellow dots they show certain things which I forget which is which now but should be inline or very close to the valve stem and aid balance, so less weights needed............... if they want to fit bang on weights on alloy rims go somewhere else, stick on only no lead banged on anywhere.

Great explanation @Drover . Thanks. Noted point that only "stick on" weights for alloy rims too. Might have to get van wheels re-balanced as recently had wheel lock up caused by severe braking when van brakes were adjusted too tight. No vibration felt though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Unless you smoked the tyres and made a flat spot then all should be good, I would just look for any extra wear later on but not a big load on your Penguie so shouldn't be a worry I reckon........ Stick on for alloys is best, tap on lead on inside will/can cause corrosion over time and the outside of an alloy rim should never have weights applied.

Big smoking braking with a big flat spot means new rubber required as a balance wont do any good, the tyre aint round anymore.

Reactions: Boots in Action

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Unless you smoked the tyres and made a flat spot then all should be good, I would just look for any extra wear later on but not a big load on your Penguie so shouldn't be a worry I reckon........ Stick on for alloys is best, tap on lead on inside will/can cause corrosion over time and the outside of an alloy rim should never have weights applied.

Big smoking braking with a big flat spot means new rubber required as a balance wont do any good, the tyre aint round anymore.
i dont think Jayco balances their wheels pre delivery

Roadhouse

Mar 12, 2019
Lake Macquarie
Just had the alignment done at Spencer’s at Cardiff. Cost $343 for a few adjustments, a weld (toe-in adjustment thingy was cracked), and an adjustment of the wheel bearings as one was a little loose.

Hopefully sorts out the wear issues...

They also recommended tyres be pumped up to 45PSI.

Max PSI of the WildPeaks is 50, and using the formula I have seen on caravan chronicles (https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/) you take max PSI/max load x caravan weight/4, but that only equates to 28 PSI, which would be too low. Tyre place said 38 PSI is right.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
45 sounds a bit high for a van max of what ?? 2.5-2.6t I would have said about 34 ish for a start, 28 certainly sounds a bit low.... I have found some combo's come in low with that calculator but wasn't sure if I did it right but I usually use it as a good start point .......... My tyres have a 80psi max and they get 47psi but I can float between 45 and 50 depending on how it feels towing, so never be worried about experimenting with pressures as there isn't a hard fast psi to use, tyres/rims are all different along with temps, the one thing that is always a good indicator is check psi after a few hours on the road if its 4-6 psi higher than cold you should be on the money, of course thats if the temps are basically around 18-20 deg at cold psi, under 15 deg the morning psi will be lots lower so expect variation.

Having said that if the Wildpeaks are only a P rated tyre you may have to run them high as on a tug I did find them a baggy tyre and want to wander when towing so imagine they would be similar on the back then again the rim width can play a part on how they sit, so many things.

Of course too low psi you will feel the drag and van will be slow to respond and can wallow around corners, too high you can feel it bounce and it will be twitchy if you sling it around a corner, it may even want to push you. The same if you swing into a bend and feel the tug wallow/dig in a bit, check tugs tyre pressure as rears may be soft or your suspension is too soft.... either way its saying Slow down.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Pics or it didn't happen ! :behindsofa:

Sorry, i was busy admiring my own evolving creation

20201207_113738-resized-1600.jpg

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
The Troopy out on the nature strip, van attached and under starters orders for tomorrow morning. I was desperate to beat @Bluey out of the blocks this year, so we jumped 2 weeks early in a successful surprise attack.

View attachment 66142

PS. Another successfully hijacked thread, sorry @Roadhouse
Well done @Crusty181 hopefully you’re far and away from all the bullshit and you guys have a great break