18' Series The Old Toolbox Debate

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi, this is the toolbox on our 20.64. It has the Webber and generator on slide outs at each end. there is a lid on top with room inside for the awning floor and the ramps.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 519
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 531
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 492

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's exactly what I was trying to do...

Can I ask approx cost? And did you custom make it yourself or found someone who could do it....and approx weight?

We tried to convince ourselves to do it but all sorts of things got in the way.

Reactions: bigcol and Johnno48

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Hi, this is the toolbox on our 20.64. It has the Webber and generator on slide outs at each end. there is a lid on top with room inside for the awning floor and the ramps.

Cheers
Hi @Red1 - that's what i was chasing. few questions if that's okay:

do you have the extended drawbar? not sure i could fit my gas bottles in front
what size is the wber - Q200? or the baby?

did you have any drawings of the design you could share? rough price?

thanks.

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
Hi @Red1 - that's what i was chasing. few questions if that's okay:

do you have the extended drawbar? not sure i could fit my gas bottles in front
what size is the wber - Q200? or the baby?

did you have any drawings of the design you could share? rough price?

thanks.
Hi Brougham,
Yes it has an extended drawbar. It currently has a baby Q but a 200 will fit and I will be getting one soon. I have included you in a cinversation with a few others that has all the drawings, costs etc

Hope this helps
Red

Reactions: bigcol and Johnno48

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Has anyone worked out how much weight from the actual tool box ends up transferring to the ball weight prior to packing it? I'm looking at 3 different tool boxes which come in @ 30kg for a 1550 wide and @ 36kg for a 1750 wide or 1650 gull wing. All could work for me as I mainly want it for the Weber and shade walls etc but don't want to overload the front too much....
Hi,

Just an update on the actual added ball weight on our van, plate has an empty ball weight of 198kg, loaded weight of 236kg prior.

After adding the boxes, frame, weber Q, hoses, shade cloth, toilet chemicals, and numerous other misc items, we put a set of scales on to measure the ball weight. Actual weight was only 206kg, loaded, in effect it only added 8kg to the ball weight? Surprised me but the scales shouldn't lie. This is a great result for us, safety, within limits, price wise and for the look also.

Turns out I can turn the gas bottles on and off with the bed end lids down also. Due to good luck rather than management. The design of the tool boxes lets me o[pen them just enough to fit my arm in and turn.

I also had a qualified gasfitter reconnect and retest the entire gas system for safety. ( One thing the gasfitter made me change was the ventilation though, he stated that I needed two vents in the tool box, one high and one low. Vents also needed to have ventilation of approximately 5000mm2, to allow for adequate ventilation. ) I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do the job, but most of the tool boxes I have seen only have one vent? Just thought I'd mention it in case others are looking at doing it.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Vents also needed to have ventilation of approximately 5000mm2, to allow for adequate ventilation. ) I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do the job, but most of the tool boxes I have seen only have one vent? Just thought I'd mention it in case others are looking at doing it.
Are you sure of the vent size measurement Jeremy? ;)
For others reference it was suggested to me to put 3 vents per side. One low on the side, one high on the rear (To allow airflow) and a small one with a 20 to 25mm hole in the floor to allow for drainage if water gets in the box.

Reactions: bigcol and Dobbie

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Are you sure of the vent size measurement Jeremy? ;)
For others reference it was suggested to me to put 3 vents per side. One low on the side, one high on the rear (To allow airflow) and a small one with a 20 to 25mm hole in the floor to allow for drainage if water gets in the box.

Hi @dagree, I read the book that the gasfitter had and it quoted roughly the same but I read two vents, and a 25mm hole like you say, different to the vent which had to be 5000mm2 per gas bottle? My drilled hole was 32mm , that I had predrilled. Each vent was about 15000mm2 so fitted easily within regs. I am not a gasfitter, he had a massive manual that gave him specifics for caravans and the like. Vents had to be high and low also.

Just went off his advice and direction.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi,

Just an update on the actual added ball weight on our van, plate has an empty ball weight of 198kg, loaded weight of 236kg prior.

After adding the boxes, frame, weber Q, hoses, shade cloth, toilet chemicals, and numerous other misc items, we put a set of scales on to measure the ball weight. Actual weight was only 206kg, loaded, in effect it only added 8kg to the ball weight? Surprised me but the scales shouldn't lie. This is a great result for us, safety, within limits, price wise and for the look also.

Turns out I can turn the gas bottles on and off with the bed end lids down also. Due to good luck rather than management. The design of the tool boxes lets me o[pen them just enough to fit my arm in and turn.

I also had a qualified gasfitter reconnect and retest the entire gas system for safety. ( One thing the gasfitter made me change was the ventilation though, he stated that I needed two vents in the tool box, one high and one low. Vents also needed to have ventilation of approximately 5000mm2, to allow for adequate ventilation. ) I'm not trying to tell anyone how to do the job, but most of the tool boxes I have seen only have one vent? Just thought I'd mention it in case others are looking at doing it.

Interesting that the ball weight didn't change much.
Can I ask what the filled toolbox added to weight of van itself?

(We're seriously considering one and guessing the added weight would be vicinity of about 50kilos ...box, weber, hoses, chocks BBQ plate)

Just wondered if we're even close to accurate!

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
Interesting that the ball weight didn't change much.
Can I ask what the filled toolbox added to weight of van itself?

(We're seriously considering one and guessing the added weight would be vicinity of about 50kilos ...box, weber, hoses, chocks BBQ plate)

Just wondered if we're even close to accurate!

I couldn't believe the lack of difference in ball weight either, our Jayco dealer did the test on their scales. Actual added weight is about 50 kilos, but for some reason the extra weight on the towball doesn't reflect the weight. They told me it had something to do with where everything is positioned inside of van and exactly where the weight is on the drawbar? One of the earlier posts on this thread also said their toolbox only added 5kg to the weight?

Again I am not an expert or knowledgable on this, I'm sure others would have better explanations?

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ahhhhh....our guess was about right. I'm surprised, and encouraged!

Yes, I reckon it's the distribution of things in the van that helps the ball weight.

Thanks for the info. We can now continue with our deliberations with a bit more confidence.

:cheer2:

Reactions: bigcol

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
@Jeremy Johnson, I'm interested that you made your box 600mm deep (cant think where i saw that measurement - i may be imagining it also!). I have measured up my drawbar (extended) and 600mm seems to come out a long way. You mentioned that it allowed you to store fold out chairs etc - is that the reason you made it so deep (i have been looking at 500mm deep to hold the weber. genny etc) or is there another reason? Can you have too much space in the front box? I must admit i am a little worried that if the box extends too far forward that the ball weight will be impacted too much.
Would appreciate your (and others) thoughts.
Cheers, Jemmo

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Wow, I have the standard drawbar and looking at 600 wide toolboxes. If you have a dual axle the ball weight isn't affected as much as a single axle 16' model. Also it's where you place the heavier items in the box too

I'm more worried about turning circle issues and opening the rear door on my Prado rather than towball weight.

Jeremy Johnson

Sep 6, 2015
North Queensland
@Jeremy Johnson, I'm interested that you made your box 600mm deep (cant think where i saw that measurement - i may be imagining it also!). I have measured up my drawbar (extended) and 600mm seems to come out a long way. You mentioned that it allowed you to store fold out chairs etc - is that the reason you made it so deep (i have been looking at 500mm deep to hold the weber. genny etc) or is there another reason? Can you have too much space in the front box? I must admit i am a little worried that if the box extends too far forward that the ball weight will be impacted too much.
Would appreciate your (and others) thoughts.
Cheers, Jemmo
Hi @Jemmo, Weber is 480 wide and including the lip of the box, we required more space to fit it in. The lid has 25mm indents on all sides. Box would have to be 530 wide minimum. Measure the dimensions of what you want to go in the box then go look at the cheap boxes at Bunnings or Total Tools or the like and see how they are made and what size you will need. I spent about 30 minutes in Bunnings with my own tape measure taking photos and checking. We have extended draw bar also. Our generator is also 530 in length so it enables us to put in longways with weber in same box. Ball weight was simply not an issue for us, above posts explains ball weight change. The setup of the van covers that off. 16 footer. We got Jayco to do a test on our ball weight and the increase in ball weight is neglible to say the least. Upon doing more research on this site and others, it appears ball weight does not increase dramatically, but I am always concious of the weight issue. This is the reason we downgraded to 16, actually had a 17 on order and decided to play it safe and downgrade due to our tow limits. ( We would have been over our limit with a 17, with hindsight it was a great decision, we did not need a 17 footer )

Can't have too much space I don't think as long as weight is not affected like you say.

As a side note, We also have to jacknife van in to our driveaway and have never come close hitting with toolbox also.
We found a formula to measure if the toolbox would hit the car on one of these sites. ( Don't quote me but went something like this )
Measure distance between centre of van hitch and edge of van toolbox. Mesure distance between towball and back corner of car. If distance on van was less, you should not hit the car.

That is from memory though, I can try and find the formula if you want.

if you think about what you are doing, measure, double check seek others advice generally you will be OK. My set up though may not suit you. More than happy to let you know what I have done, got a lot of great advice from this site as a matter of fact. I have made some mistakes though, but that's life!!!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

Cheers

Hi @Red1 are you able to pass on the details of where you had this made. I think I could use one exactly the same

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
I had this priced up locally in Perth to be made from 2.5mm aluminium checkerplate, was $2500, including all keyed alike, including the drawer slides with aluminium insert trays to hold the bbq & genie, as well as vents for the gas bottles and gas bottle holders.

this was designed for a weber q on a slide out, and our Yamaha 2400i generator the other (that's what the drop down is for as the genie is a tad tall).

Still thinking about it, otherwise might go a cheap 1500 wife x 600 depp x 500h top opening box for $3-400 for now.
toolbox Model (1).jpg