The Marshians 17.56.2 OB

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep, ramps wouldn't work, it'd simply bring the back wheel up... But everyone is right, I hate those scissor jacks. Tough work and I really don't think they're too safe. So a nice bottle jack will be sought.

But really I would recommend those who haven't changed a tyre on their van to check their set-ups. You can learn a fair bit, but also see what works and what doesn't.

Turns out that our flat tyre is a result of another cracked rim and is unrepairable according to the local tyre centre. So a phone call will be being made tomorrow to enquire about replacements...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I know they take up a bit more room but a small trolley jack would be good too and more stable again.

I maybe try for a full set of rims @Smergen and see how you go?

I actually have a really large trolley jack in the shed for cars, but weighs a ton and I wasn't dragging it down to the van. Plus, I was really keen to try and replicate an "on road" stoppage. Will keep the smaller trolley jack in mind though, could be a decent solution.

As for the rims, I'll certainly be asking for a set, and at least an immediate replacement of two. I'm not currently without a spare, and one of them has to stay on the van just to keep it rolling. I'm pretty disappointed.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A trolley jack while good to use is not all that great " On Road" as you need a good surface or something to put under the wheels as it will move as you lift so it can keep the right position, the best is an air jack, throw it under, plug into compressor and up it goes.....

With these dodgy alloy rims, I would be straight onto Jayco and getting rid of them pronto, the whole lot, one goes the others will followand if they won't come to the party replace them anyhow, you don't want a full blow out to happen on a van.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
With these dodgy alloy rims, I would be straight onto Jayco and getting rid of them pronto, the whole lot, one goes the others will followand if they won't come to the party replace them anyhow, you don't want a full blow out to happen on a van.

Thanks mate. I can assure you it will be the first call I make this morning.

Reactions: Drover

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I had one wheel with a cracked rim that they replaced at first service, I had noticed the tyre goin gradually flat over a few days. All the others (2) checked and passed inspection.
Have sourced 2 spares from another Panda owner who changed his whole setup and was willing to sell the old ones on.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I've got three 6JJ x 15 rims with 195 70 tyres fitted, not a lot of K's on the rubber either if anyones interested. Rims are 1 ton rate and tyres are 1120kg.

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I am with @cruza driver a small trolley Jack, maybe thoses alloy ones they make for wouldbe nascar racers? Even on those pissy wheels it ain't going to move anywhere on gravel or grass with 2 Tonne on top. I always thought about carrying a small stand as well but Another advantage to the extention to the drop jacks as per @Shane Norwell mod is that you can drop them down once jacked up as another safety precaution. Because you should never trust a jack even a 5 tonne truck Jack.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Trolley jacks should only be used on hard surface re: concrete even a road isn't great, I wasn't meaning they would roll away but as they raise up the jack is required to move so it keeps the same profile, hence the wheels pplus those little wheels can sure bury themselves in the ground. I have used them with planks under them but they can slip off and scare the hell out of you. I carry a small stak a jack for under the axle.

Reactions: achjimmy and bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK, rims update...

Jayco rang us up today and offered to replace all 5 rims under goodwill (as our van is out of warranty) and they have been ordered. Should be about 6 weeks apparently to deliver which is a little longer than I hoped.

So say what you will about Jayco's build quality and QA off the line, but their warranty and customer support has always been excellent. And until someone builds a bulletproof, breakproof and top of the line product, warranty and customer support should always be a consideration in any purchase.

A big tick again also to Ballarat Jayco to going into bat for us as well.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
OK, rims update...

Jayco rang us up today and offered to replace all 5 rims under goodwill (as our van is out of warranty) and they have been ordered.

Didn't hit them up for new tyres as well mate?;)

Reactions: Drover

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Great result @Smergen and a big thumbs up for Jayco too :first:for honouring their products.

Yeah, this is another thing that they've fixed for us out of warranty without question. It really is a credit to their aftermarket service.

Didn't hit them up for new tyres as well mate?;)

Hmm... I didn't think of that. Plenty of life left in those boots so I'm not too fussed... but hey... if I get some I'm not going to talk them out of it.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
OK, rims update...

Jayco rang us up today and offered to replace all 5 rims under goodwill (as our van is out of warranty) and they have been ordered. Should be about 6 weeks apparently to deliver which is a little longer than I hoped.

So say what you will about Jayco's build quality and QA off the line, but their warranty and customer support has always been excellent. And until someone builds a bulletproof, breakproof and top of the line product, warranty and customer support should always be a consideration in any purchase.

Name another manufacture that would replace anything out of warranty ? :clap2:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Dropped the van off at Jayco Ballarat to get it's shiny new shoes put on tomorrow, as well as get the standard service done. Also getting the light above the dinette looked at to see if the can solve the problem. Managed to sneak a peek at the new wheels too... very flash! :) Pics on Saturday when I pick it up.

On the way home, called in at Willy Wonka's (you guys might know him as @17triton) to drop off the rubber mats he lent me before getting the tub lined. He extended the welcome to a couple of coffees and it was great hanging out for an hour or so having a chat about life. Although the little 'tritons think its hilarious that my profession revolves around life's unavoidable necessity (hence my avatar). Hoping we can get away with them at some stage in Spring, and hoping to get the roster changed so we can join all and sundry at Beaufort. Thanks again mate, appreciated the chat (and the choccies!)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Forgot to mention, did happen to look at the Basestations and 20ft Expanda on the lot whilst I was there. Wouldn't have thought the 20ft would have weighed more (Tare) but it did... They are pretty damn big vans though...