Starcraft Starcraft 20-62-3

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Your alot braver than I am...

MrsExpanda is lurking so I will bite my tounge :)!

Never say never, my advice figure out how you will fit on the bunks as its only a matter of time and you don't want to be trying to fit on them @3am could be a messy experience :)!

Yes, he is a brave man Pace. Very dedicated to the family, which is why he deserves to be rewarded at night!
Sorry boys, I do think like a man sometimes, I guess its part of being a Tomboy?........

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Fair enough, i'll give it a go, but if it all goes wrong i'm telling her it was your idea lara.

And again, laughing, too funny.
Yes Holden Man, I'll take the fall for you.
But I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have some success!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Your alot braver than I am...

MrsExpanda is lurking so I will bite my tounge :)!

Never say never, my advice figure out how you will fit on the bunks as its only a matter of time and you don't want to be trying to fit on them @3am could be a messy experience :)!

yep your right Ex, its pretty much inevitable. Better get cracking on getting the weight down before the next trip, 70kg limit on the bunks I'm told. wont jake or josh get a shock when dad climbs in beside them:black_eyed: "move over boys, dad needs somewhere to sleep"

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Great choice of van if I don't say so myself...let me know if you want any hands on comments...that's about the van not climbing over the wife

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
The Starcraft is going good except for normal Jayco warranty issues (same stuff that expandas have).

With the layout,

I find clothes storage to be a pain, By the main bed its mostly hanging space but I have put shelves in one of the wardrobes besides the main bed and this makes the space much more useable.
The bed could be a bit short and I do overhang on the main bed but only slightly (I am 5'11")
The storage next to bunks are also too deep for clothes. I am looking for a slide out basket that will make it more useable although my girls do like the open middle shelves for putting there crap treasures in.
I also find the fold up bunks good and the when we were recently on holidays it was good to open the extra door to maximise the breeze flow during the day.
Otherwise I have not come across a better layout yet. I did meet a couple how also had the same model over Christmas and they were happy with theirs outside of there annex wall which cut across the main bed window (mine doesn't do this).

The main thing that I would change is to go the Ibis air con. The basic roof mounted one is noisy and in a few months when we start to get cold will be next to useless otherwise similar options that you may select with an Expanda.

Any specific questons just ask away

Cancan

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Ordered a new 20.62-3 OB on Saturday after selling our much loved hardlid Expanda OB which had served us well for almost five years. (And an Eagle before that). We even dealt with the same salesman each time over the years.
Options included the Ibis air (thanks for the tip).
We also went for built in bunks at the rear and single beds up front - we loved the floor space the expanda gave us and with single beds, this space is maintained with single beds which can be used as more seating should we need it.
Other options included solar, stero, half shelves in the wardrobe between the single beds and some extra drawers under the bottom bunk bed.
Why the built in bunks? Well this was all about convenience now and no setup at all. Our bikes travel on the roof of the car and the built ins get a little more in the way of lights and storage.
Delivery will be November.
Will let you know how it all goes once it arrives. Can't wait.
Cheers
Andrew.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ordered a new 20.62-3 OB on Saturday after selling our much loved hardlid Expanda OB which had served us well for almost five years. (And an Eagle before that). We even dealt with the same salesman each time over the years.
Options included the Ibis air (thanks for the tip).
We also went for built in bunks at the rear and single beds up front - we loved the floor space the expanda gave us and with single beds, this space is maintained with single beds which can be used as more seating should we need it.
Other options included solar, stero, half shelves in the wardrobe between the single beds and some extra drawers under the bottom bunk bed.
Why the built in bunks? Well this was all about convenience now and no setup at all. Our bikes travel on the roof of the car and the built ins get a little more in the way of lights and storage.
Delivery will be November.
Will let you know how it all goes once it arrives. Can't wait.
Cheers
Andrew.

Sound good Andrew, It's the Starcraft we were look'n at, though beware of the weight towing with the PJ it's very border line with the varying tow weights of the PJ, thats why we had another look at the Expanda 18-57-6 which is also border line but a tad better (I wanted less set up too), We even look at Coromal Element 626 for around the same $$$ and it was much lighter, for the same size, only thing was the shower/dunny model only came with triple bunks, which we didn't want.
Since decided our 16 will be here for a bit longer.

Last edited:

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks Bushman.

Time to update the avatar as it's been an expensive month....

Bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo MY14 about a month ago. Upgraded with quadralift and quadradrive. And then went further and added leather (cut from original Jeep patterns so it looks and feels like the Overlander nappa leather). 8 speed auto and I just love the smoothness and quietness compared to the NS Pajero. It's got so much gear in the base model I couldn't justify going to the Limited for $10k more.

Reliability will tell with time but that wasn't all good with the Paj either.

I towed the expanda a short 30kms with the Jeep to get roadworthy etc. What a difference. Superb towing machine.

I made many enquiries about whether I'd get the new van ATMd at 2500kg which was possible but it robbed me of valuable storage capacity - especially with two water tanks, a battery and solar.

It will come in around 2700kg ATM and approach 200kg ball. All well within the 3500kg limit of the CRD Jeep.

Cheers and thanks for your word of caution about weights all the same. Too often this is misunderstood.

Andrew.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thanks Bushman.

Bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo MY14 about a month ago. Upgraded with quadralift and quadradrive. And then went further and added leather (cut from original Jeep patterns so it looks and feels like the Overlander nappa leather). 8 speed auto and I just love the smoothness and quietness compared to the NS Pajero. It's got so much gear in the base model I couldn't justify going to the Limited for $10k more.

I towed the expanda a short 30kms with the Jeep to get roadworthy etc. What a difference. Superb towing machine.

I made many enquiries about whether I'd get the new van ATMd at 2500kg which was possible but it robbed me of valuable storage capacity - especially with two water tanks, a battery and solar.

It will come in around 2700kg ATM and approach 200kg ball. All well within the 3500kg limit of the CRD Jeep.

Cheers and thanks for your word of caution about weights all the same. Too often this is misunderstood.

Andrew.

Sound good Andrew, didn't know ya had upgraded the tug, looking forward to pics of "BOTH" the new toys :thumb:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Thanks Bushman.

Andrew.
Got an identical Jeep minus the leather on the way. Nice van choice, would be my pick if I had a bigger budget.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Cancan. Just been looking at your rig too! Trying to determine if the outside table could sit above the wheel arches? With the Expanda we tended to put the toaster and kettle on it. But with our new found storage in the Starcraft, maybe it will stay inside...
And yes. What a great combination!
Cheers.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
My external gas bayonet is in front of the wheels...useless there..I would have it by the front hatch so you can BBQ out of the annex (if you are getting an annex)...otherwise only other change is the...aircon which you have changed...

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks. No annex so I think it's sorted. Will report back once it's delivered in November. (I do have a three metre braided gas hose though. Quick connections on the bbq side too from bunnings. Braided hose is available on eBay now I think too - that might help you?).