So close to a 17.56-1, but so far away...

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
Well we spent the afternoon looking at the few vans left at our local dealer (the rest of their vans are at the show). It wasn't very busy there so I talked to a couple of other people looking at the vans. They said the quote they have got here is better then the price they got from the show yesterday so hopefully the prices we have been given are good too.

I think we have decided that the 16ft is too small for us. We could fit all our stuff in but we feel cramped.

So, we will go to the show early tomorrow and have a proper look at the 18.57-9 (I'm assuming they have one there??!)

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Perhaps you can look through some of the dealer or forum for sale ads and find a 17.56-1 with similar config s and enquire about the weights of the van. This might help you get to your desired options and weight.

Hi Tayla
Welcome to the forum.
As per ROnEM's suggestion, we have an 17.56-1 but in an OB configuration which weighs in at 1829kg empty, with pretty much the same configuration as you've noted, other than no battery or shelves. We also had the 2nd table converted to a fixed bunk - but not sure it makes much difference to the weight.
In the brochure, the difference between a OB and non-OB is about 120kg.

Hope that helps
Andrew

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Tayla, you will get good prices throughout the year, sometimes even better. You just need to be confident you know what you want and let the dealer know you mean business and you are not a tyre kicker. I bet if you went to a regional dealer next week, you would get an awesome deal. Why? because of the show, their monthly sales figures will be crap. Ballarat and Bendigo are not far away;).

I presume you are now upgrading the commodore to the pathfinder. Trust me, you dont need to rush, they will do a good deal anytime.

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks Straydingo, I think you have just convinced me that we would be getting too close to the limit if we went with the 17.56-1. I've got hubby looking for a new car now ;)

Good plan Maccayak. We have free petrol with the work car so Bendigo and Ballarat are definitely not too far away :)

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Tayla, as per the above posts, let them know your not there for looks and that your a series buyer looking to close a deal. We done the same and spoke to all the major dealers throughout VIC (Geelong, Bendigo, Ballarat, Bayswater, Seaford, Mildura, Albury).
Ended up at Page BrosRV (Seaford), in the end. All we done is ,had a list and stuck to it and ended getting the best price and the earliest production date bang deposit paid, happy campers. Pace.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
As maccayak said take your time and think about it, you will get a show special price anytime if you shop around. If you can afford to upgrade tug and go to an 18 then the price will only get better leading into winter. Good luck guys! :)

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
We had a great day at the show today. We did a quick run around the other brands and decided that we still like the Jayco's best so we then spent about 4 hours going through the expandas and getting prices.

Thanks everyone for your advice, we have gone with the 16.49-4. We had a good look through it today and have decided there is plenty of room for us, the kids and all our stuff :) We still love the 17.56-1 and the 18.57-9 but have decided that having to buy a new car on top of the cost of the van and all the extras is stretching our finances too much.

We chose the outback model, the full annexe with verandah and extra room, the 150L fridge, rooftop A/C and solar is included.:)

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Tayla,
Glad to hear the show went well for you. I think the 16.49-4 sounds perfect for your family and your situation with tow limits. Great decision!

Dont know if you've signed on the dotted line yet but will will be listing an as new Kakadu vinyl annex suitable for any 16.49 Outback. Will be putting it in the for sale section of Expandas downunder, to give forum members first opportunity to buy.
It is immaculate, as new, perfect condition. Will try to list it sooner rather than later so you can see the photos. Might be able to save yourself a large chunk of cash, I think they go for around $2500 new. We will be asking $800 for ours.

Just a thought!

Lara.

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks Lara. Yes, we have signed everything now. We sort of got the annexe thrown in as part of the package deal, so if we did take it out now, they wouldn't actually take much money off what we are paying...

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
We had a great day at the show today. We did a quick run around the other brands and decided that we still like the Jayco's best so we then spent about 4 hours going through the expandas and getting prices.

Thanks everyone for your advice, we have gone with the 16.49-4. We had a good look through it today and have decided there is plenty of room for us, the kids and all our stuff :) We still love the 17.56-1 and the 18.57-9 but have decided that having to buy a new car on top of the cost of the van and all the extras is stretching our finances too much.

We chose the outback model, the full annexe with verandah and extra room, the 150L fridge, rooftop A/C and solar is included.:)

Congrats!! awesome stuff. So when are you set to pick it up? We were at the show today too and I must say I am buggered! Spent heaps of time at Jayco. A bloody hot day though.

Reactions: Tayla

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Tayla, good choice of van. A tip from a fellow 16-49-4 owner. We are all different and this may not suit you anyway but if I was ordering one again, I would change the little table to a permanent bunk with extra storage underneath. When we ordered ours, we thought cool, that table will come in handy, but in all honesty for us it hasnt. It has been left as a bed. You can still store stuff under it but not the same as a proper cupboard or drawer. They will do it as it is a module, I asked on the weekend for the larger 18 Expanda. If anything even during the day, the kids just lay on it and play there ipods etc, we found the table a little to cramped to be of any use, maybe different if your kids are little ones.

Congrats on your van, it is a good layout

Reactions: Tayla and pace9908

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
We currently have a 16-49.4 towed by a 2012 Kia Grand Carnival kids ranaging from 15, 13, 10 through to 7 plenty of room. We do have a full annex but don't always set it up. super easy to tow park less drag we love it.

Reactions: Tayla

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
I agree with Maccayak I would properly do the same we leave the bunks set up and would more than likely use the cupboards or draws under a permanent bunk bed.

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Kenshi, it was soooo hot today! We happily stayed in the Jayco area for most of it, at least their building was air conditioned. The van should be ready mid-June.

Maccayak, we looked at changing that bunk too. We can't change it to the module as we will have my husbands daughter with us sometimes and will need the extra bed. We contemplated fixing the bottom bed but the little table was what first attracted me to this layout. I'm hoping we use it like I think we will. Our 2 & 4 yr olds love "their" little table already.

Rojoberry - where do your kids sleep? We are thinking that the beds are huge for the little ones but wondering how they will go when they are taller. We didn't think we would use the full annexe and extra room all the time but it was a good deal so seemed silly not to add it in.

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Tayla our two big ones share the double bed yes they share the double and the 7 and 10 year old use the bunks. I'm just under 6ft and can fit on the bunks however i'm pretty sure there rated at 70kg's. remember you still have the table that can be converted in to a double also.

Tayla

Mar 9, 2013
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm guessing my kids are going to be tallish as my husband and stepdaughter are tall so we realise this van may not last us forever but they are only little now so I'm sure it will suit us for a long time. I'm thinking the 2 boys can share the double bed and daughter on the bunk but the 4 and 2 yr olds have told me that the 3 of them are going to share the double bed :)

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
We currently have 2 commodores, mine is an old one which we wouldn't tow with. My husband's is a new car through work which has the 2100 limit

How does this idea sound? We sell my commodore and buy a 2nd hand Nissan pathfinder and then buy the 18.57-9 instead???
Bit late in replying but that sounds like a good idea.
There are some really good auto turbo diesel Pathies around with <200k on the clock and plenty of great Expanda holidays left in them.