Sad goodbye to a true friend

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We've enjoyed a full 5 years of selfless and unquestionable loyalty from the best automotive friend a man can have, a mighty class conquering Navara D40 V6. Like Abraham Lincoln, we wrote an Emancipation Proclamation and last Sunday we set our mighty Navara D40 V6 td free. She's gone north to enjoy some sunshine, and the cheque didn't bounce so there's a win. Tip for young players selling on Car Sales is brutal

The single most under rated car ever built was a true marvel, the 8th wonder no less. Not a single whinge as she spent 4 years carting tools, and 1 year carting us (overloaded) along and dragging our bloated overloaded Behemoth around Australia for 40,000km, on some very average roads.

Its a mere coincidence that we've offloaded the Navara at the same time we've wrung every dodgy tax cent out of owning it.

We did our due diligence just in case we've missed something obvious. We even considered Ram, Chev, and the Ford F truck but the prices were eye watering, payloads unimpressive, and its questionable who actually was liable for the warranty.

We looked at some very nice vehicles overall, including some which might keep running and some that historically probably wont. We also looked at the bottom feeders to get some perspective, DongFeng, Great Wall, Mahindra, Tata, and Landcruiser.

We've officially moved on and after serious research of careful consideration we've pulled the trigger on the acquisition of Crusty's New Steed. It shouldn't take much thought to guess where were are placing our faith for our future travel, but go on take punt anyway, there's a fridge magnet for who guess's correctly including the colour.

In line with the new forum policy of no pics of anything by anyone .... pics will have to wait for a bit

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
What ever it is it wont have the performance of the V6 (unless of course its a Jeep but that is common knowledge) as for a rough riding pig rooting tax deduactble ute things the choice is endless they are all pretty much the same under powered with poor little engines expected to perform for years, the saying I think I can rings true. Good luck I would hate to be in your shoes!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm very disappointed ..........

But I will look back in time at some comments that were made so I can get the most out of them......... So you owe me a hat...lol,lol,lol.

Reactions: Crusty181

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well, the only thing I can guarantee would be is that it won't be a Landcruiser.

I'm going Nissan Patrol. As for colour, I suspect it'll be silver, but probably did a deal on a white one for some fleet deal and then tow a trailer for work.

Surely not black.

But seriously... you've moved on the self anointed "greatest ute ever made".... Wow... I would have thought it would have been handed down from Cruskett to Cruskett...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
..................... Jeep would have been better but wouldn't carry the new surf board, a vehicle more fitting for a future QLDer would be in order........ Whatever be better than a Nissoon .

Last edited:
Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
There could be a thick pungent smell of hypocrisy about to float through the air :behindsofa:
I seriously hope it's not another Navara or bloody ranger :ban:
No its not either, unfortunately Nissan did have a firm grasp on the ball .... but then thought it a good idea to run in the completely wrong direction toward the opposition goal. The Ranger is an awesome looking car and a favourite of the Princess. Good friends travelled around Oz with one without incident, but Ive heard and read some real horror stories about them

What ever it is it wont have the performance of the V6 (unless of course its a Jeep but that is common knowledge) as for a rough riding pig rooting tax deduactble ute things the choice is endless they are all pretty much the same under powered with poor little engines expected to perform for years, the saying I think I can rings true. Good luck I would hate to be in your shoes!
Rough riding, pig rooting? .... I had all but dismissed the tax deductible ute things, but when you put up the attractive perspective of the Rough Riding Pig Rooting, Ill confess that I did have another quick look. As for the power of the V6, there is of course one thing said to better than a V6.

So the Ram it is?
The Ram was the initial uneducated choice, but that idea quickly tanked (like FCAs Jeep sales) when I discovered it has a lower payload than a Hyundai Sonata. It can of course tow the Bismarck, but I dont own a Bismarck. It would be the goto choice if I owned a polystyrene factory, because I could cart heaps in the massive empty and otherwise useless void up the back

I will take a stab, is it the V6 Amarok?
Ha ... your funny. If Volkswagen is more than happy to stick 3 x fingers right up the bum of the entire world, my confidence in their capacity to play nice with me is a touch below par. @Bluey's did have some worrying real world examples of why the Amarok is a great vehicle to watch being driven by other people.

Amarok V6 or the fake 3 pointed star thing with V6 ( Merc)
The only Merc worth 2 cents is a G Wagon (just $hitting ya, its really worth $130k. But a very cool unit)

So your brought a Land Rover mate :)
My god, a little bit of vomit just popped up Dave. If I needed to pull the milk skin off my cappuccino, the Land Rover would be high on the list

I'm very disappointed ..........

But I will look back in time at some comments that were made so I can get the most out of them......... So you owe me a hat...lol,lol,lol.
This could get quite uncomfortable for me now. Ill have a new hat anyway, and that will keep me warm from the cold Arctic blast of the canon fodder im probably about to hand you. (It does officially have "Military" in the model name .... so go easy will ya)

Well, the only thing I can guarantee would be is that it won't be a Landcruiser.

I'm going Nissan Patrol. As for colour, I suspect it'll be silver, but probably did a deal on a white one for some fleet deal and then tow a trailer for work.

Surely not black.

But seriously... you've moved on the self anointed "greatest ute ever made".... Wow... I would have thought it would have been handed down from Cruskett to Cruskett...
Oops. You score One point out of a possible 3, and that's for fleet deal white ... but you loose that point and and extra point for not being able to follow up on your guarantees ;)

As for family heirlooms, cars generally and rapidly, loose their appeal and become dead to me right about the time the factory warranty expires. You know how Conor McGregor was the greatest .... and then all of a sudden he wasn't; same thing with cars. McGregor gets the tripe punched out of him, cars loose their factory backing; equally as traumatic

As soon as Im back near the computer and I have access to pics, I pop one up of the new Crusty'mobile

Last edited:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
congrats on the new ride mate..
You know you really wanted the D5 designed by a Cyclops if your seen the off centre rear :)
Our lease due next year not sure we go the D5 kids be out of car seats might just get the MUX now.

The one thing I did notice in specs for the D5 was payload of 946kg. Tare 2184 GVM 3130. max weight front axle 1500kg Rear 1900kg.
Tare includes includes a 75kg driver, full fluids and 90% fuel. so really over a ton payload which is pretty sweet..
Although its one of those to tow 3500kg you take 230kg off payload.
https://www.landrover.com.au/vehicles/discovery/specifications.html

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
A Nissan Troop'ster :bounce:

(Note to self, credibility still in tact)

LC78a.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Drover, remember it's nice to be nice.

Its actually listed on the contract as a "Toyota LC Military GXL 4.5L T Diesel Man Troopcarrier", so you should be more impressed, and less revengeful

..... and @cruza driver Ill be needing that name now !!!

Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Can't complain it was on my wish list but I've been advised that comfort is a priority, someone re alls years gone by bouncing around.....the yuppie model of the RAM like the yuppie Ranger have no carrying cap.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Can't complain it was on my wish list but I've been advised that comfort is a priority, someone re alls years gone by bouncing around.....the yuppie model of the RAM like the yuppie Ranger have no carrying cap.
Its actually not to bad. I'll confess now it wont be my first Cruiser, and although its pretty spartan its certainly a better ride than my last '84 adaption. They are built to order now as well, so its a long wait. I agonised over it for a long time (and the Princess isnt a fan, which wasnt helpful) and which ever way I added it up it always came back to the Troopy or twin cab. I looked at a Isuzu 4x4 truck, and Iveco Daily 4x4 but they had issues. The twin cab lost out because the rear cantilever just does my head in, and the tray and any associated large ally boxes come straight off the payload