Relgate got a new BT50 GT

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi everyone
The lease is finally up on my Hilux and it is time to upgrade to something with a better towing capacity and a more comfortable interior.

I'm very close to ordering a new (white) BT50 GT but I'm still tossing up what options to get. I've never set up a vehicle for 4x4 before which is the goal for this one. So far I'm looking at these factory options:
Weather shields
Tow pack and recovery points
Reverse camera
Tint
Tub liner
bonnet and headlight protectors

I will then look at
TJM bar
TJM Underbody protection
UHF
Flexiglass 'Flexisport' Canopy

I have questions about the factory options.
I looked at the TJM towbar and really liked it. Has anyone got one? I've heard the factory one is fine. I just liked the protection it offered at the back corners.

Also, has anyone got comments on the tub liner? Is it worth the $$$

Last question is about the canopy. I currently have a cheaper ARB canopy and it is fine. I'm just keen to get central locking on the new canopy as I often transport valuable, heavy gear. Anyone had one of the flexiglass ones? Are there any other central locking canopies?

Thanks. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good news Relgate.

I have the factory tubliner in my BT and find it to fits neatly in the back. It is slippery like any plastic tubliner but I have a rubber mat on the base. The factory tie down points are refitted also. The tub liner does save the tub form dents and scratches imo

The headlight protectors can be hard to get and I'm not sure what availablitiy is like atm hopefully you should be right.

I got my tint done after market for around $300 just for your info :) Moto got his done by the dealer.

Factory Bullbars have a well know problem of coming loose and is known by Mazda. My ARB one has been no problems and is a very neat fit. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the TJM and ARB is if you have considered that?

ARB under body protection is cheaper $$$$ wise than TJM it was realesed about 6 weeks ago. I haven't compered the 2 for quality but I have seen the ARB one and looks well made.

I know I have mentioned ARB a it but thats what I have experience with :thumb:

Sorry I can't help you with canopies as I don't have one.

:tea:

PS are you getting an auto or manual?

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hi Relgate,

Another BT owner, 8-) .

My set up is all TJM, am very happy with it:D. Bullbar with side steps &brush bars and underbody protection. All in all very solid. I have managed to drag the belly a few times and felt very confident in the product.

I have a flexiglass canopy on mine, not real happy with it. Carry Boy are a nice canopy, but there all steel canopy with central locking on the market if security is what you're after. Razorback is one company, do a search for "steel canopy ute".

With the tow pack, TJM has released a full bumper tow pack replacement with rear protection. Not sure of $$$$ but might be an option.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Good news Relgate.

I have the factory tubliner in my BT and find it to fits neatly in the back. It is slippery like any plastic tubliner but I have a rubber mat on the base. The factory tie down points are refitted also. The tub liner does save the tub form dents and scratches imo

The headlight protectors can be hard to get and I'm not sure what availablitiy is like atm hopefully you should be right.

I got my tint done after market for around $300 just for your info :) Moto got his done by the dealer.

Factory Bullbars have a well know problem of coming loose and is known by Mazda. My ARB one has been no problems and is a very neat fit. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between the TJM and ARB is if you have considered that?

ARB under body protection is cheaper $$$$ wise than TJM it was realesed about 6 weeks ago. I haven't compered the 2 for quality but I have seen the ARB one and looks well made.

I know I have mentioned ARB a it but thats what I have experience with :thumb:

Sorry I can't help you with canopies as I don't have one.

:tea:

PS are you getting an auto or manual?

Thanks CD
I'm going Auto. How does your manual drive? I heard it was a little truck like, I've only test driven the auto.
That's good to hear about the tub liner. I'll keep it on the list!
I'm leaning towards the TJM bulbar. I like the look. I havnt compared the weights but I know the TJM is heavy. It's on the list to check out.
Good tip on the ARB underbody too. I'll be getting quotes from both TJM and ARB and comparing.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Relgate,

Another BT owner, 8-) .

My set up is all TJM, am very happy with it:D. Bullbar with side steps &brush bars and underbody protection. All in all very solid. I have managed to drag the belly a few times and felt very confident in the product.

I have a flexiglass canopy on mine, not real happy with it. Carry Boy are a nice canopy, but there all steel canopy with central locking on the market if security is what you're after. Razorback is one company, do a search for "steel canopy ute".

With the tow pack, TJM has released a full bumper tow pack replacement with rear protection. Not sure of $$$$ but might be an option.

Thanks Mick
What is it about the flexiglass canopy that you don't like? Did you get the one with central locking?

I've read your thread with great interest and like the look of your TJM bulbar.

I like the rear TJM bar. The protection looks really good. just waiting to see how much it is so I can compare to the factory $$$. The other consideration is that the TJM towbar is only rated to 3350 KG. Seems a shame not to get one rated to the full 3500kg.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Also, \Anyone got an opinion on the rear recovery points? I already have a D shackle thinga-me to replace the tow ball, so do I still need to get the recovery points? I wondered if they would be handy if you had a van attached and couldn't do a forwards recovery. (Never actually done much of this)

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Thanks Mick

What is it about the flexiglass canopy that you don't like? Did you get the one with central locking?

The other consideration is that the TJM towbar is only rated to 3350 KG. Seems a shame not to get one rated to the full 3500kg.

The canopy does not seal very well around the back, other companies do make a better one, but have seen some bad ones too. All in all it an attachment to a Ute and you can't expect it to be 100% water proof, but it would be nice to minimize the amount of water that seeps in in to the tub area. 2nd reason is the locks on the windows have trouble locking, not sure why, have tried graphite powder, that worked for a while, now I can't lock them at all. My canopy does not have the central locking, it would be nice.

The tow bar was probably in design and manufacturing before they new of the increase in towing that Mazda was putting on the newer model BT's. (TJM have a fairly lengthy testing and certification program. Took 4-5 months from the time I saw a sneak peak of the bullbar to the time it was officially released and I got #2 off the production line.)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
The canopy does not seal very well around the back, other companies do make a better one, but have seen some bad ones too. All in all it an attachment to a Ute and you can't expect it to be 100% water proof, but it would be nice to minimize the amount of water that seeps in in to the tub area. 2nd reason is the locks on the windows have trouble locking, not sure why, have tried graphite powder, that worked for a while, now I can't lock them at all. My canopy does not have the central locking, it would be nice.

The tow bar was probably in design and manufacturing before they new of the increase in towing that Mazda was putting on the newer model BT's. (TJM have a fairly lengthy testing and certification program. Took 4-5 months from the time I saw a sneak peak of the bullbar to the time it was officially released and I got #2 off the production line.)

Makes sense about the towbar.

Sorry to hear about your canopy. Are you going to get it looked at under warranty? My cheap ARB canopy has been very watertight so I have assumed the same for a more expensive one. Can you add some clark rubber seals?

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
Dam the BT's are popular these days!!!!

In terms of canopy have you seen these -

http://www.steelcanopy.com.au/

Seem very well made, never had one personally but would get one of these compared to flexiglass personally myself.
Hi Relgate,

I have one of the razorback steel canopies on my amarok.
I'm really happy with the finish and the quality of the product.
The rear window/door is definately central locked and works a treat.
The side windows are not central locked, but that's because of the way the handles are setup.
I haven't seen any canopies with side windows that are central locked.

I bought direct from their warehouse at Riverstone and they also fitted it for me.
It was more expensive than some others, but I liked the central lock option and also the final overall look on my truck. It looks like its "meant to be" on the amarok, as opposed to being stuck on the back.......

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know....
Cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Relgate,

I have one of the razorback steel canopies on my amarok.
I'm really happy with the finish and the quality of the product.
The rear window/door is definately central locked and works a treat.
The side windows are not central locked, but that's because of the way the handles are setup.
I haven't seen any canopies with side windows that are central locked.

I bought direct from their warehouse at Riverstone and they also fitted it for me.
It was more expensive than some others, but I liked the central lock option and also the final overall look on my truck. It looks like its "meant to be" on the amarok, as opposed to being stuck on the back.......

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know....
Cheers

Great feedback thanks SP4RKI
What sort of money are we looking at from the factory? You can PM me if you like.
Did you go with the standard roof rails? If you have roof racks, how dod you configure?

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have the pov pack Flexiglass canopy son my ranger, no central locking etc. I had the central locking on the hilux, however, found the more expensive canopy did not seal for dust as well, nor could I put a scupper vent into help maintain positive pressure. This may not be high on the list for you, just something to consider. It was more important for me as I spend a lot of time on dirt roads.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have the pov pack Flexiglass canopy son my ranger, no central locking etc. I had the central locking on the hilux, however, found the more expensive canopy did not seal for dust as well, nor could I put a scupper vent into help maintain positive pressure. This may not be high on the list for you, just something to consider. It was more important for me as I spend a lot of time on dirt roads.

It's a good point. I have a vent on my current hilux, and with a little extra sealing from Clark Rubber I have got it pretty much dust proof. Thanks for the heads up/reminder.

Was it a flexiglass canopy on the hilux that was not as dust proof? Was it something to do with the design?

Andy & Leesa

May 25, 2013
I also have a flexi on my Ranger and we are reasonably happy with it. There is a tendency for some dust to get in around the back I guess, but it was bought mainly for the dogs to travel in. Dirt does get ingrained in the rough finish. Next one we get when we get around to getting a new BT50 will be one of the smooth finished ones. Some canopies look as if they are part of the truck, and some aren't.

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
Great feedback thanks SP4RKI
What sort of money are we looking at from the factory? You can PM me if you like.
Did you go with the standard roof rails? If you have roof racks, how dod you configure?
Ok, I will have to dig out the invoice tomorrow in the office and PM you the costing.
I am an electrician and wanted to be able to carry extension ladders and the like..... So I went the heavy duty bars and rails. The standard bars that came on the canopy weren't suited to me, and once the rails are fitted across the standard bars, they really aren't practical for carrying much.... Except a body board.
I now have 2 heavy duty bars and rails on the canopy and another 2 on the cabin of the amarok.
The total of 4 rails across the cabin and canopy is perfect for me and spreads the load really well.
Initially, I had the square Tradesman rail fitted across the roof..... But the wind noise was really bad, (because the Amarok is so nice and quiet!) so I swapped them to the oval rails and the change in noise was incredible - so much better/quieter, but not quite as good for options to fit to the rails.
Sorry to dribble on.... Love my canopy and truck! (Oh, and the Expanda!)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks CD
I'm going Auto. How does your manual drive? I heard it was a little truck like, I've only test driven the auto.
That's good to hear about the tub liner. I'll keep it on the list!
I'm leaning towards the TJM bulbar. I like the look. I havnt compared the weights but I know the TJM is heavy. It's on the list to check out.
Good tip on the ARB underbody too. I'll be getting quotes from both TJM and ARB and comparing.

I'm really happy with the manual but I rarely drive in traffic. If I did I may have looked at the auto more seriously although I did test drive an auto twice and the manual once. I never found it truck like like especially after hopping out of the manual Cruiser :) I think when people test drive the manual its new so the gear change is very firm but it loosens up after around 500km.

Also, Anyone got an opinion on the rear recovery points? I already have a D shackle thinga-me to replace the tow ball, so do I still need to get the recovery points? I wondered if they would be handy if you had a van attached and couldn't do a forwards recovery. (Never actually done much of this)

The rear recovery points could come in handy if requiered but I never got them..........sometimes I wish I should have but I can retro fit them. If snatching off them like the recovery points on the front its best to run a lanyard to both recovery points to spread the load. I have a tow bar recovery block that fits into the hitch receiver also.

And on another note I would get the factory rubber floor mats as they are a very neat fit and the drivers one has locking points so it can't move around. Also have you considered a snorkle relgate?