16' Series Picking up 2011 16.49-1 next week

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Andrea, we won't be loading up with water as we'll always be staying at caravan parks and using mains water and electricity. That's the plan for now anyway!
As for the gas, that's a very good question and one that's got me thinking.......
Does the tare weight include the gas bottles? We have bought our 16.49-1 used but I am assuming the gas bottle was factory fitted and is included in the tare weight, but then again I'm new to this so I'm only guessing.
And then I'm thinking even if the gas bottle is included in the tare weight is that an empty bottle? So many unknowns for me.
What would be the difference in weight between an empty and full gas bottle?
Thanks for another heads up! You sure know your stuff, I see you in the posts all the time. Thanks a million!
Lara.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Lara, to my knowledge it includes the bottle and not the gas. Our van has 2 x 9kg bottles. The 9kg is the weight of the gas (when full). So if you have a 9 kg bottle you'll need to add 9kg to your total.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Andrea, for some reason I always thought the 9kgs weight was both bottle and gas too, I'm learning quickly!
Also, one of the jobs being done at the service centre is to replace the single 9kg gas bottle and replace with two 4.5kgs instead. The reason being, I like to have 2 bottles so there is always a back up and no panic to refill. I didn't want two 9kgs bottles because I didn't want to add more weight to the tow ball or the payload. As we'll always be at caravan parks two 4.5's is plenty for us.
I will now add the 9kgs gas to my payload. Thanks again! it's little things like this that can quickly increase weight. Really appreciate the advice.
Lara.

MastoCamper

Feb 22, 2013
Footscray
Hi Lara, I'm new to this forum and was about to introduce myself, but was sidetracked the interesting read in your thread, I think you'll show some of the male moders up :tongue:
Just thought I would mention to check out the swap and go price of the 4.5's compared to the 9kgs,
I have both, and had to pay $23 for the 4.5kg and only $19 for the 9kg to swap, go figure :noidea:
That was at Masters in Melbourne, but noticed the same at some other swap and go's,
Your best option to save a buck would be to have them refilled and only swap when the bottle is about to expire.

Also, if you want a TV, you can purchase 12v LCD's from Dick Smith, JB Hi Fi, and even Good Guys for half the price than sold by RV outlets, we had a DS in our recently sold Flamingo and never had a problem,

Have fun with your new van,

I have another 4 weeks wait for ours :pout::pout::pout:

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Mastocamper,
Bugger, Wish I knew about the refill costs sooner, we have already had the 4.5 brackets welded on and connected. I do like the idea of having the 2 though, nice to have a back up. And the Tv is in, I went with the Axis 21.5 inch, got a pretty good price, and sourced my own bench top bracket and quick release plate to take it down for travel.
I'll be posting some picks after we spend next weekend in the Expanda. Can't wait to get away!
Also ordered a new Annexe. Just got the email from Australia Wide that's it's ready to be sent down to NSW rep for install. Fingers crossed it comes during the week so we can use it next weekend.
Lara.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Lara
:welcome: to the forum. Sounds like you are really getting your van sorted out. Well done.
Good idea with travelling with the TV down, alot of people don't realise but LCD tvs that travel in caravans still connected to their brackets can drop pixels very easily from the upward / downward motion.

So are you getting away in your new toy for Easter?

Cheers
Ants

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Antman,
We were meant to spend 3 days in the Expanda this weekend, but the weather is dodgy and we may pull this pin.... We'll check weather forecast again in the morning and make a decision.
Yes, going away in the first week of Easter school holidays, can't wait. We'll be heading to Crescent Head. Our trips will always revolve around where the surf is good. My husband and both daughters are keen surfers and you can't take them away from the coast!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Well, what an exciting day for me today.
Met Joe from Australia wide annexes today and had the new 'ultimate clear annex' fitted.
It looks freakin amazing, couldn't be happier!
We went up to the Newcastle caravan show last month to have a look before ordering, and we were impressed. Has everything we were looking for and more! We went with the Navy blue upper canvas and grey vinyl at the bottom, clear windows and curtains.

Will get some pics on the weekend along with the other mods I've been up to. Husband reckons I spend more time with the expanda than with him..... In my defense our Expanda is in storage, so any work I do on it requires a little travel time added on.

Now I need to get the old (but new) Kakadu annex that came with our van up for some pics so I can get it sold.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well, what an exciting day for me today.
Met Joe from Australia wide annexes today and had the new 'ultimate clear annex' fitted.
It looks freakin amazing, couldn't be happier!
We went up to the Newcastle caravan show last month to have a look before ordering, and we were impressed. Has everything we were looking for and more! We went with the Navy blue upper canvas and grey vinyl at the bottom, clear windows and curtains.

Will get some pics on the weekend along with the other mods I've been up to. Husband reckons I spend more time with the expanda than with him..... In my defense our Expanda is in storage, so any work I do on it requires a little travel time added on.

Now I need to get the old (but new) Kakadu annex that came with our van up for some pics so I can get it sold.

Can't believe i have had my head in the sand and have not welcomed another Sydney sider that like to mow lawns!!!'

So elcome Lara officially from Expanda and MrsExpanda and apologies from us in advance for being so rude....

We are looking to get the exact same annexe you got have you got any pics yet???

We saw Jo from Australia wide annexes at the Wollongong show and love the annexe and the fact you can open it partially to let air in.

We will be getting one later in the year for the Discovery as well as a front and rear porch!

How long did it take from order to install if you don't mind me asking?

Welcome again and look forward to some pics... :)

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Antman,
Can wait to share some pics! We also got the extended porch area which was a bonus. Any orders for the annex placed at the Newcastle Show got the porch thrown in for free. Saved us $380. So was defiantly worth ordering at the show. Joe from Aust Wide is great, easy to deal with, knows his stuff. You're not dealing with a rep at the show but the man who actually does the measure and fit, so he knows what he's selling. All in all a very good experience and money well spent.
Promise to get those pics up for you!
Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Can't believe i have had my head in the sand and have not welcomed another Sydney sider that like to mow lawns!!!'

So elcome Lara officially from Expanda and MrsExpanda and apologies from us in advance for being so rude....

We are looking to get the exact same annexe you got have you got any pics yet???

We saw Jo from Australia wide annexes at the Wollongong show and love the annexe and the fact you can open it partially to let air in.

We will be getting one later in the year for the Discovery as well as a front and rear porch!

How long did it take from order to install if you don't mind me asking?

Welcome again and look forward to some pics... :)

Don't be silly Expanda, you've been a very busy man with all these site upgrades. But thank you for the warm welcome! Appreciate it!

No Pics yet, will take some this weekend when we're set up on site. This morning the new annex was fitted where we have it stored, so not much room to get some good pics, although I was tempted to try, but decided to wait til weekend.

The annex is worth every cent and is first class all the way. The quality is 10/10 and we couldn't be more impressed. Like you, we too were impressed with all the features including the ability to open up all or any sides completely with a few quick zips. And the 1/3 vinyl at the bottom is genius, am surprised someone hadn't can up with that idea sooner. Won't be any mud or rain splatter marking our annex, easy clean, happy days.

True to Joes word at the show, the turn around from order to fitting was 3 weeks. A couple days after the Newcastle show Joe was at our van measuring up. Very fast and smooth process, Works for me.

Promise to get some pics posted on Sunday.

Thanks again Expanda and Mrs Expanda.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Don't be silly Expanda, you've been a very busy man with all these site upgrades. But thank you for the warm welcome! Appreciate it!

No Pics yet, will take some this weekend when we're set up on site. This morning the new annex was fitted where we have it stored, so not much room to get some good pics, although I was tempted to try, but decided to wait til weekend.

The annex is worth every cent and is first class all the way. The quality is 10/10 and we couldn't be more impressed. Like you, we too were impressed with all the features including the ability to open up all or any sides completely with a few quick zips. And the 1/3 vinyl at the bottom is genius, am surprised someone hadn't can up with that idea sooner. Won't be any mud or rain splatter marking our annex, easy clean, happy days.

True to Joes word at the show, the turn around from order to fitting was 3 weeks. A couple days after the Newcastle show Joe was at our van measuring up. Very fast and smooth process, Works for me.

Promise to get some pics posted on Sunday.

Thanks again Expanda and Mrs Expanda.

Good to hear you had a good experience with Joe makes us happy with the decision to get one!!!

Look forward to the pics...

Are you taking the van for its maiden voyage?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Good to hear you had a good experience with Joe makes us happy with the decision to get one!!!

Look forward to the pics...

Are you taking the van for its maiden voyage?

Yep, maiden voyage! Was meant to go last weekend but the weather was terrible so postponed till this weekend.
Actually, funny thing, our maiden voyage is only 20 minutes from home. Sydney RV centre threw in a weekend at lakeside big 4 in Narrabeen, so that's where we're heading, call it a test run maybe...... Still looking forward to it, plenty to do, fishing, surfing etc.
Will be heading to crescent head first week of school hols, so that will be a true maiden voyage.

So we have had the Expanda for a month now, and although in storage she's being well looked after with plenty of visits from me and my tool box. Looking forward to sharing many pics after the weekend with all the bits and pieces I've been up to. Nothing major, just making life in the expanda easy and comfortable, mainly storage etc.

Will keep you posted.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Good luck on the maiden voyage Lara. Would like to meet up at Crescent Hd at Easter but we try to stay off the roads at that time of year. Have a ball and post up plenty of pix.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Good luck on the maiden voyage Lara. Would like to meet up at Crescent Hd at Easter but we try to stay off the roads at that time of year. Have a ball and post up plenty of pix.

Thanks Chartrock,
We're up your way, Gold Coast Jan 2014 then down to Brunswick Heads. Might have to meet up and have a folding bike race off!
Lara.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hope weather is great and everything else goes smoothly at the weekend. And we can't wait to see those Larafications!

Thanks XPandafan,
So many Larafications, some copied from other members and some 100% larafied. Will take pics for sure!
Lara.