16' Series Picking up 2011 16.49-1 next week

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say Hi. We are picking up our used but in as new condition 2011 16.49-1 OB next week. Cant wait, loving this expandas downunder site. So many great posts with tips, tricks and mods. I cant wait to get ours and add my own personal touch and extras to it. As my friends say, I Larafy (modify) everything I own. Cant help it, its in my blood. So great reading posts from like minded people who enjoy thinking outside of the box and personalising their Expanda!! I'm inspired!

It will be going straight from the sales yard to their service centre for a few extras. After doing my homework and reading many ideas and options, we will start with a few basics that will benefit us. Nothing major at this stage, WDH, tap to A-frame, external gas point, mounted TV. There will be more to come but will wait to get it before I plan too much else.

Thanks for the great site. Keep posting, I'll be reading!

Lara.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome Lara. Only a few days to go, no wonder you cant sleep. With your enthusiasm, you've certainly found the right forum. We're all enthusiastic about our own Expandas (and everyone else's). I hope you'll keep up regular postings with pics so we can see your Larafications and your travels.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Xpandafan,

You're right about the no sleep, my mind is buzzing, cant think about much else at the moment, cant wait to get her. Yes my Expanda is a girl!! Hehe.
Will post some pics for sure of my larafications.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
Hi Lara, this site certainly keeps your mind buzzing with potential mods to do. We got our new, but used, 16.49.3 a month ago and it sure is keeping me busy. Love your term 'Larafy'.
Kim

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome Lara. :welcome: Sounds like you might 'out-modify' a lot of the members with you enthusiastic approach. At least you wont run out of ideas with all the mods on the forum. Keep us posted with your plans and trips with plenty of photos.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Lara, and welcome to this great forum! Congrats on the 16-49-1 its a great van, I'm sure you'll love it. You mentioned tap to A-frame on your list, if you are talking water, it should have one? Hope all goes well with pickup.

Cheers.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks for the welcome Burnsey,
There's definitely no water tap to the a-frame. Is that normally already on the outbacks? The service centre has quoted me approx $200-$250 to install. Having never had a caravan before, not sure about costs, am going in blind. It's all new to me!
A tap is a must for us. With my husband and 2 girls aged 9 & 11 all keen surfers, I would like them to rinse off sandy feet before coming inside!

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I cant believe you havent got a tap. Not a hard job to do, only probably >$40 in materials. The position they put the tap is silly on an Expanda because when you put the front lid down, its over the tap. Just check to see if the tap has been moved or it could have falled off and they just capped the water line. Ours fell off.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks for the info maccayak,
As we don't have it at home yet, it's in their yard waiting to be transferred to the service centre, I had a look at the photos of our expanda a-frame as its still on their website. I remember we looked around to see if there was a tap, but nothing found. Will call yard tomorrow and get them to check it for me. Thanks for the heads up!
Not sure the below link to photos will work?? Where exactly would I look for piping?
Many thanks!

http://www.sydneyrvgroup.com.au/used-caravans-app/no-cu204-jayco-outback-expanda-16-49-1#

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Lara, yes the taps are standard, I'd ask them what happened to it? and $200 does sound pretty steep!

Cheers.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Lara, yes the taps are standard, I'd ask them what happened to it? and $200 does sound pretty steep!

Cheers.

Thanks so much everyone! I think I'd be lost without this forum. Brilliant for bouncing around ideas and getting advice from everyone. Fingers crossed that the tap has come off but the water line is still there. It must be if it comes standard. I reckon you have all just saved me a couple hundred $$$.:clap2: Many thanks!

And thanks for all the nice welcomes, I'm feeling right at home!

Lara.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hold the phone!!
Am I reading a thread where it is the wife in the family who is actively initiating the mods.:clap2:
Welcome Lara and good luck with the van.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Hi Lara. Congrats on the new purchase. We have just bought an outdoor shower that connects to a hose (which will attach to the drawbar tap) so our boys can wash off after the beach. It arrived today :) I think it will come in pretty handy and save the inside shower from getting sandy. We also take a rechargeable dyson with us which means we can do a quick 2 min vacuum to help keep sand at bay. . I've never heard of an expanda without a drawbar tap. Our came off too and we taped it to the drawbar until the warranty service. As mentioned, have a look underneath as the piping may still be there.

This site is full of great ideas and there are quite a few ways of doing the tv mount on here.

I hope you enjoy you new van :)

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Haha, yes that would be correct. I have taken the reigns and I couldn't be happier! Husband has happily handed over all control and desk ion making of the Expanda to me.

I am a true tomboy at heart, love tools, projects, mods, even mowing the lawn! I do have a very handy and macho husband, but if you were to stop by our place you would find him in the kitchen cooking dinner and I'd be outside rendering a wall! Total role reversal but it works for us! No complaints here.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Sounds like my wife Lara, she is very hands on aswell and loves to get the tools out and have a go and also took charge when buying our new van, I was at work when Tina went in to look at it at the dealer and she had signed the dotted line before I even made it in to look at it. But going from the swan outback to the expanda was the best decision we could of made. I've only been on the forum a short while and love it there is so many ideas and helpful hints on here its keeps you on here for hrs. Enjoy the new van and the forum.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Lara, to fit a tap and run the line is really easy. The pipes just push into the fittings. Google john guest fittings, most large caravan shops sell it. It would normally be located on the drawbar near your gas cylinder. The giveaway if there was one will be 2 or 3 1/8"holes close together on the drawbar, thats where the tap would have been. Hopefully it is cable tied under the chassis somewhere. My tap fell off on the way home form the yard.

Geoff

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Welcome aboard Lara, nice to see another Sydney sider join the ranks, as for the tap yep easy enough to do yourself even if the pipes aren't there, they are also handy for getting the air out of the system when you connect to the mains and making sure your pressure is right.

On some models I believe the tap may have been an option but not sure when they became standard

I'd be interested to here of how your dealings/service went with SydneyRV group.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Welcome aboard Lara, nice to see another Sydney sider join the ranks, as for the tap yep easy enough to do yourself even if the pipes aren't, they are also handy for getting the air out of the system when you connect to the mains and making sure your pressure is right.

On some models I believe the tap may have been an option but not sure when they became standard

I'd be interested to here of how your dealings/service went with SydneyRV group.

Thanks Bushman,
Deane and Mike at Sydney RV centre Narrabeen have been an absolute dream to deal with, couldn't be happier, only good things to say. Being our first caravan they have been really helpful and offered us a deal we couldn't refuse!

I should also mention that the service centre at Mona Vale have not seen the Expanda yet. They are quoting me off conversations I have had with them sight unseen, while they wait for it to come from the holding yard in Ingleside to the service centre. So they're certainly not trying to pull the wool over my eyes regarding the tap. I've been dealing with Jarrod at the service centre, he's great, very friendly, great advice, I'm a fan!

So far so good, I'm a very happy customer and can't wait to get my hands on my new toy!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Good news, yes there is a tap on the draw bar! Don't know how I missed it....... Thanks to everyone who gave me a heads up about the tap!
Only a few more days and we'll be picking her up from the SydneyRV service centre. Can't wait!
My lounge room at home is a OH&S nightmare at the moment. So many boxes filled with stuff waiting to go into the Expanda. Have weighed it all and without clothes and food we come in at 197.5kgs (i like to be precise), so with a 300kg payload we have a little over 100kgs up our sleeve. I'm pretty pleased with that!
Will post again once we pick up the new toy.