Our 18-57-6

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I met up with Burnsy and his family today down at Geelong and his Expanda is very impressive in the flesh :thumb:

It was good to put a face to a name mate and have a good chat about all things Expanda's and Pajero's :high5:

I hope you put a smile on his face and distracted him from his issues at hand :)....

I am sure the pajeros would have helped!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I met up with Burnsy and his family today down at Geelong and his Expanda is very impressive in the flesh :thumb:

It was good to put a face to a name mate and have a good chat about all things Expanda's and Pajero's :high5:

Thanks for dropping in mate.....nice to meet you and have a chat!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks for all your reassuring coments guys.....means allot after such a dilemma with the van. After the handover which was ordinary after hearing about others, I was left to hitch up myself and clamp on brackets for WDH without assistance, not that I needed it but not the point. When we got back to the park, we set up, put power and water on and got organized. After a while I noticed water dripping from back under the access door for the toilet cartridge. I opened the door to find it dripping from the top of the opening and straight away I thought shower connection in the wall. This was the last straw for me!

I called Jayco and service dept had left for the day but someone from service called me back and said they thought they fixed it yesterday, so it was leaking yesterday! I said you know what I'm taking you up on the other option you gave me yesterday and you can have the van back, fix everything and send it to me. I will also get my cheque back and direct deposit when ready to freight! Jayco were fine with that so we have tonight in van then drop back tomorrow and travel home without it. At least it will (hopefully) be done properly as to replace shower the back wall has to be removed, so fairly major. It has been an experience to say the least and yeah compo of some sort would be good!

Cheers.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi Burnsy, Do you have the opportunity to decline accepting this van and ask for a brand new one. I was telling our account manager (wife) and she was of the oppinion that you should ask for a new one. I think it would be understandable that you took a few days to change your mind (cooling down period). I did the tour of the Jayco factory and as my wife reminded me, they make the things from inside to out (see photo of ours). It will be a BIG repair. I don't know what your travelling plans are but could they give you a loan van with return costs at their expense.

IMG_0846.JPG

Just some other thoughts which may help you. It may be a different story if the shower base cracked after 7 months, but yours was cracked before delivery.

Reactions: David & Sharon

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Sorry to hear about your shower troubles mate. It would be very disappointing to travel all that way and have issues like that.

We had a few "minor" issues but nothing major that we have seen so far. We went over the van top to toe yesterday cleaning and inspecting after the 1600km trip home. We tightened up all the clamps on the pipework on the van. Some were not done up at all! Jayco do seem to be very lazy when it comes to the pipework as my father in law had the same issue on his discovery.

With a water leak, I reckon I would be asking for photographs of the repair job so you know that none of the other walls / timber etc is damaged from the water. In the scheme of things, caravans are not cheap (even if Jayco are cheaper than other manufacturers) and probably are the 2nd or 3rd most expensive thing you purchase and should be lasting a long time and should have good QC. This I believe is where Jayco fall down.

Hope all goes well.
Ants

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi guys, we dropped van back on Sunday with a list of defects and got our cheque back, got home today spoke to Jayco and our van went back to factory this morning. I have been told there is NO WAY Jayco will give us a new van so I hope all will be good when it gets to Newcastle, we are meant to go away on the 27th and they seem to think we will have it by then.....we'll see! Still have to register, adjust hitch and breaks as with the controller on full stick it seemed to do bugger all, which I also told them about. On my 16' with controller turned right up the brakes would lock! Hopefully we will get our October long weekend in but I wouldn't want to hangin by the you know what just in case!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
The Dealer only offered us an apology, we will email Jayco direct and voice our opinion and see what happens. Page brothers sounds like from what I've heard a better dealer to deal with in Vic but I think their hands are tied!

Cheers.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The Dealer only offered us an apology, we will email Jayco direct and voice our opinion and see what happens. Page brothers sounds like from what I've heard a better dealer to deal with!

Cheers.
This is what I would do mate, speak to head office directly and explain your disatisfication with the way the van was delivered and how it has been dealt with to rectify your problem.

Did they truck it back to head office today?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well I agree with cuiser but I think you have the right to a new van and not a factory refurbished one. You could give them the opportunity to provide you with a satisfactory outcome, otherwise as it was a Victorian transaction, I would speak to Consumer Affairs Victora to get them to assist you with your situation. They are very helpful and they are a Government Body. I don't think it will get to that, Jayco seem a decent community based company.

The thing that is dissaponting for a lot of us here is that we have been watching your excitement as the pick up time drew close only to see you not being able to take your van home. I wonder if Jayco knew that you were a member of a Jayco based forum and many potential Jayco buyers have been watching your progress whether it might make a difference.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Mate if you really wanted to push the new van front and had time up your sleeve, you could always go down the path that by consumer law you are actually entitled to a full refund and see what they had to say... I'm sure you don't want to do that but that it could give you the leverage you require.
Will be watching your progress and hope you get the result you are after.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Mate if you really wanted to push the new van front and had time up your sleeve, you could always go down the path that by consumer law you are actually entitled to a full refund and see what they had to say... I'm sure you don't want to do that but that it could give you the leverage you require.
Will be watching your progress and hope you get the result you are after.

He may burn his deposit following that track but if it were me I would be seeking advice from the "fair trading" folk at least that way you will know your rights.

salsimo

Mar 14, 2011
Vic sthest Melbourne
I brought one one the first expanda's made it was a list of 27 problems with 15 being fairly major couldn't get money back but they offered to make me a new van with a few free extras .the jayco dealer was no help at all I had to bang heads at head office at jayco , good luck try to get hold of Shane holaway at jayco head office

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
He may burn his deposit following that track but if it were me I would be seeking advice from the "fair trading" folk at least that way you will know your rights.

Hey Brookes

Actually you would not lose your deposit as this situation would be classified a major failure of the product and as a consumer you can reject the product for a full refund.

Here are a couple of fair trade links.

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/guarantees-warranties-refunds.htm
http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/consumer-guarantee-failure.htm

its actually quite interesting when you get right into the legal jargon of consumer rights. For example, when a manufacturer stipulates a warranty is only 12mths for a product, depending on the product, you can actually enforce a statutory warranty. Which means if the product purchased due to things such as price and expected length of time that that product should last, then a statutory warranty could be say 3 or 5 years. I expect this would be quite hard to do enforce and time consuming etc as anything legal tends to be.

If you are interested in this read the part on extended warranties.
http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/types-warranties.htm
specifically focusing on the the clause:

"However, your consumer guarantee rights mean that you are protected for a length of time that it is reasonable to expect the goods to last for."

Ants

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Glad to here everything is getting sorted for you and fingers, toes, arms, legs all crossed it gets there by the 27th....

Question for Burnsy to keep thread on track - What do you want out of all this? New Van / Your one to be repaired as it is and something from Jayco to recognize the issues thus far?

In fairness to Burnsy who is obviously going through alot at the moment lets keep fair trading etc out of the thread for now and respect Burnsy's wishes as only Bursny will know what will make Burnsy happy.

If you want to start another thread on the laws of returns etc happy to move the above posts to make a new thread just PM me if you would like to do this.