Our 18-57-6

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
As some of you may know my fridge doesn't work on AC anymore after our last trip but works on gas. I made some enquiries and found out that it needs to be taken to a Dometic repair agent grrr. I called the closest one to me (3.8 km) and they recon its the 240v element as they are prone to blowing with power surges, they have one in stock for my fridge so I have made the oppointment for 9.30 tomorrow and will wait while they replace, hopefully can access from external vent.

The fridge worked fine at home before we left but didn't work when we got to the cp, thinking about it now after they mentioned power surge I pull the plug out of van at home so i can move the van to the footpath and then plug back in with mains still on (not ideal I know) and that time I did hear a little zap when plugging back in. Maybe coincidence but from now on I'll turn power off first! :)

Reactions: achjimmy

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Bummer about the fridge Burnsy but good tip - I'll have to stop being lazy and turn power off at the wall too...

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hope they fix it mate. Good tip about turning the power off,that's something I never do but will now.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Ok, so I turned up for my 9.30 appointment and was home and unhitched by 10.30! Turns out it wasn't the element and no power surge but a bloody wire for the element that wasn't pushed into those plastic plugs properly :doh:. So if your fridge stops working on 240v check the plug behind the vent (with power off). Gee it towed nice today, empty with no gas bottles or spare.....felt like a 16!

Reactions: Xpandafan

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Ok, so I turned up for my 9.30 appointment and was home and unhitched by 10.30! Turns out it wasn't the element and no power surge but a bloody wire for the element that wasn't pushed into those plastic plugs properly :doh:. So if your fridge stops working on 240v check the plug behind the vent (with power off). Gee it towed nice today, empty with no gas bottles or spare.....felt like a 16!

Lol, its not because its empty its because you are towing with a Pajero!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Glad it is all working. Better a loose wire than a major repair.

...and home in time to do some gardening before the rain.

Reactions: Burnsy

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Gee it towed nice today, empty with no gas bottles or spare.....felt like a 16!

HAHA we have been shedding a lot more dead weight in our Expanda lately and taking less clothes too :)

Good find on the fridge too, lucky the wire didn't drop out whilst plugged into 240v

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Today I did the bathroom scale thing (worked really well) and weighed my ball weight with some interesting results. When I did this I had nothing at all on the A frame as I'm nearly finished my new frame to accommodate gas bottles, spare wheel etc.
Both water tanks empty 189kg
Back tank full. 165kg
Front and back tank full 189kg
I always thought that with both tanks full the ball weight would be increased but it remains the same as both empty.
When I put the extras back on the A frame I'll be right on the limit as the frame I made weighs 20kg......I'm now looking at shedding some weight overall.
I'm hoping to have frame on next weekend and I'll put some pics up then!

Reactions: Xpandafan and Pace

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Interesting discovery.@Burnsy. I do find the 18.57-x is a beautifully balanced van (by accident or design).
Good luck with the dieting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnsy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Finally finished the frame for the front of our van. I made some last minute changes and cut the frame off both ends that would carry 2 jerry can holders , it just looked a bit weird as i would normally not have the holders on there. Anyway here is my solution to relocating the spare wheel, it wouldn't fit in between the gas cylinders so they had to be moved out. As you can see i have also mounted another pole carrier on the back with heavy brackets. What i like about this design is it lets you remove as one complete unit, you can have any configuration, then bolt or clamp on without any welding on A frame.
A mate now wants one for his Jayco, one gas bottle and one jerry can holder!

Picture 1078.jpg Picture 1079.jpg Picture 1083.jpg Picture 1084.jpg Picture 1086.jpg