New tow vehicle - which one? Brought a Jeep GC in the end.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
actually, your next step before getting your quotes (to me any way) would be to Hire one for a week
do your normal Mon to Fri routine to and from work, shopping and the like, and just go away on the Sat for an overnighter towing your current Van.....

give you a couple of days to get familiar with it - and also see how they tow....

couple of hundred dollars spent this way "could" save thousands in a mistake............

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I was also thinking, as you will be doing it via Leasing
and
the Jeep is not 7 seater...
The Prado was not quite the "spec's" you wanted
and the Pajero was "dated"
So.......
(I'm gunna hate so say this)
go have a serious look at and test drive a 200 Series - you know the Towing Capacity is ok - it has 7 seats - has the power to tow comfortably - just the pricing that is way out.............. but it is a Lease Vehicle...........

my thought

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
I was also thinking, as you will be doing it via Leasing
and
the Jeep is not 7 seater...
The Prado was not quite the "spec's" you wanted
and the Pajero was "dated"
So.......
(I'm gunna hate so say this)
go have a serious look at and test drive a 200 Series - you know the Towing Capacity is ok - it has 7 seats - has the power to tow comfortably - just the pricing that is way out.............. but it is a Lease Vehicle...........

my thought

Yeah it's a lease vehicle (novated) but i only have so much to spend per month and if i go outside that then it's out of my pocket and that's not cool :(
I'd need a 10 year lease to be able to afford a 200 ;)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I remember when a mate of mine used to Lease his Nissan Patrol
he went to update, and it was only a small amount of difference between the DX (base model he was going to get) and the TI (top of the wazza version he did get) - dont know by how much, all he said was "should have done that sooner"

I myself dont Lease anything, so I wouldn't know the difference between the proverbial and clay
but my understanding is.......
3 year lease Expensive per month,
5 year lease cheaper monthly
7 year lease......??

end of lease 1 balloon payment to finalise
or trade on new vehicle
or sell to pay out completely

out of curiosity, what would the figures be on all 4 vehicles? Jeep / Prado / Pajero / 200 series?

yes, you would pay more monthly (dunno by how much - see above for lack of knowledge on leasing) for the 200
but the resale / trade in figure would be a better investment down the track????

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey @bigcol
The issue with putting a figure on leasing is the taxation benefit that the person leasing the vehicle gets. It can be quite tricky to work out and show exactly once you start to take other factors from Australian antiquated taxation system into consideration that you may start to receive once your after tax pay drops.

I too looked at leasing the Pajero. This was from September last year. KMs put in was 26000 year with a residual of $28,130.
Total per year pre tax was $31,979.74 over 3 years @ 7.57% (includes 11k FBT per year - govt certainly does not miss out on its share!). 5 yrs was actually not an option through the lease. So you can see that a car you never own is going to cost you nearly $100k in payments pre tax and then sell for minimum of 28k. Would fetch more at that point in time. However, comparing an outright purchase at 5% interest over 3 years, showed that an outright purchase would cost me around $400 per fortnight more over 3yrs than leasing but you own the car at the end of term - this took all annual running costs into consideration. However then you add back the 28k residual and that is actually worth $388 per fortnight to do a semi direct comparison of outright purchase using a loan at 5% over 3yrs vs a lease.

The main difference here for me was the fact that there is no flexibility in the lease where as purchasing outright you have flexibility depending on your loan type / or cash flow situation.

Hey @Neil does the Prado shoot you up into the luxury car bracket? I imagine it would.

cheers
Ants

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
If you deal hard you can get a GXL Prado just under luxury tax or at worst a smidge over and the taxman will tickle you for a bit. trick is to add expensive options (like bullbars) later, not in the purchase price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antman and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@Antman thanks for that - as I said, I wouldnt know bugger all about leasing
what I do know you can print on the back of a postage stamp in 4' letters.........
I think I understood what your saying -

but maybe not - I will stay away from Leasing vehicles I think.,,

Reactions: Antman

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Mines pretty simple if you take all the pre tax, post tax, super blah blah blah out of it.
My current cars lease is approx $1,350 per month fully maintained based on a three year lease.
The next car needs to be around or less than $1,350 per month fully maintained most likely on a 4-5 year lease, that way nothing out of my pocket everything stays the same, maybe a little more FBT.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I understand - I hope..........

sounds fair enough, unless the Boss is going to give you extra to play with -
thats if its a Work thingy - if not disregard my comment.........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
awe man, ya just never know if you dont have a word in his "shell like" .........

hehehehehehe

ya dont get what you dont ask for.......

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know with the company I work for, they only do Salary sacrifice for Laptops, so Ive never had the opportunity to find out more about leasing vehicles etc
maybe one day..........
a new employer

dunno

so, you've driven the cars, asked for quotes, whats next @Neil ?????

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Did you look at the poverty pack 200 series? maybe look for a 2013 plate, not sure but someone mentioned you can get into one around the same price as a prado (probably top of the range prado)

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Disregard my last post, just had a look on carsales the best i found was 75K. I used to lease through Leaseplan and you could lease second hand cars, maybe???? just a thought

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
mmm
is it a hard decision, or an easy one??????
Hard one because I like the jeep but at this point the service part of the lease cost are a bit higher for the jeep vs the Prado and making the jeep higher per month at this stage. Will need to investigate further tomorrow.

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Disregard my last post, just had a look on carsales the best i found was 75K. I used to lease through Leaseplan and you could lease second hand cars, maybe???? just a thought
Yes have been looking into second hand, new is more appealing based on a 4 or more year lease.
Don't worry I have been on car sales etc night after night after night.

Reactions: Antman and DRW