New 20-63.2 Its in production!

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
The insurance is handled by CIL, they have a policy that caters to owners wanting to rent out their van. All I have to do is ring them and 'put the van on hire' and I'm covered.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Don't dismiss slide-outs too quickly. Love the extra living space mine provides. The new slide-outs have latest well engineered US motorhome mechanicals. Saw them on my recent factory tour.
Mind you our 18.57-7 is used as a 2 berth with room for the occasional one or two guests/or the good grandkids. Luckily our kids have long moved out of home
:peace:(and out of our van).

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
That could be handy Adam. Gives members (me) a chance to try a large van before we buy.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Don't dismiss slide-outs too quickly. Love the extra living space mine provides. The new slide-outs have latest well engineered US motorhome mechanicals. Saw them on my recent factory tour.
Mind you our 18.57-7 is used as a 2 berth with room for the occasional one or two guests/or the good grandkids. Luckily our kids have long moved out of home
:peace:(and out of our van).

I generally don't mind slide outs as the van does seem huge when the slide out is out.

But when I checked the van out the slide out had to be opened in order for access to be gained to the van.

You literally can't get in the front door when the slide out is closed.

To me personally that renders it useless as I travel a lot and to have to constantly open the slide out every stop for a coffee or overnighter really would become annoying.

Not to mention having to open - close it every time I need access.

Don't get me wrong but depending on your travel and usage style I think the slide out could either be really good or really bad.

DSP

May 18, 2013
Mornington Peninsula
No inside shots, too many people going thru it. It is the same as the current 20-63.1 just no robe at the end instead a bed. There are a few on here with 20's already. It has a great bathroom toilet area. HUGE.
Hi Macca,
did it still have a seperate shower and toilet?
Thanks
Damien

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I generally don't mind slide outs as the van does seem huge when the slide out is out.

But when I checked the van out the slide out had to be opened in order for access to be gained to the van.

You literally can't get in the front door when the slide out is closed.

To me personally that renders it useless as I travel a lot and to have to constantly open the slide out every stop for a coffee or overnighter really would become annoying.

Not to mention having to open - close it every time I need access.

Don't get me wrong but depending on your travel and usage style I think the slide out could either be really good or really bad.
Point taken. My slide out is in a very practical layout (by good design or accident?). Doesn't hinder access.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
@expanda, so what if you have to put the slide out, out? It's just a push of a button.... I wouldn't be without it now, it adds so much extra room.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
@expanda, so what if you have to put the slide out, out? It's just a push of a button.... I wouldn't be without it now, it adds so much extra room.

For me its just a pain in the backside and because it blocks the door it would mean everytime i want to get in it I need to slide it out.

For some its just an additional task I would rather not have to do.

Everything I plan when camping is designed to reduce the amount of time and effort in all aspects of a trip.

Don't get me wrong, yes its a simple task and I love the idea of the slide out and you are right it adds alot of room.

But it adds an additional task into the mix which I would rather not do.

My personal issue on the 20's is that's right smack bang in the middle of the door so even if I want to pack etc I need to slide it out.

If the slide out was away from the door and I could still get in and pack the van / empty the van I would have bought one on the spot and got rid of the disco.

But again I don't want to have to open the slide out to get in and out of the van to pack it, when on the road etc etc.

I have seen some better implementations of a slide out for instance rather than consuming the entire van some I have seen concertina into two parts meaning more room and I have seen the floor plan designed so that the door is in a position where you can get in and out of the van without the need for activating the slide out.

Again some people are happy to accept it and do it but its not everyones cup of tea.

I do like the slide out, I just don't like the way they put it in this van and think it could be done better.

One final comment the slide out adds a bit of weight to the van as well. Not a huge amount but it does add a bit more so that's one other thing to consider as well.

Last edited:

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Yes, the slide out adds about 200 kgs to the 20.63, that was a slight concern but the increased lounge space was well worth it. The slide only needs to be moved out a couple of inches to be able to walk past it, even for a fattie like me :)

I guess it's horses for courses, for me spending an extra 20 seconds to operate the slide out is no big deal.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yes, the slide out adds about 200 kgs to the 20.63, that was a slight concern but the increased lounge space was well worth it. The slide only needs to be moved out a couple of inches to be able to walk past it, even for a fattie like me :)

I guess it's horses for courses, for me spending an extra 20 seconds to operate the slide out is no big deal.

What is the actual issue with getting past it? Is the lounge in the way when getting to the kitchen?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....

What is the actual issue with getting past it? Is the lounge in the way when getting to the kitchen?

You can not enter the van at all without extending the slide out as the slideout closes into the cupboards of the van.

So with it fully closed ready for driving there is no in our out of the van without opening it.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
You can not enter the van at all without extending the slide out as the slideout closes into the cupboards of the van.
So with it fully closed ready for driving there is no in our out of the van without opening it.
Further to my earlier comment. I wouldn't wear no access without my lounge being slid out. Sounds mad design for a big van. I love the instant access when stopped for lunch etc. My layout works well with slide-out either in or out.
The 20-63.2 as you describe it unfortunately sounds too much like going back to the Swan or Flamingo.

Reactions: Soaring

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Further to my earlier comment. I wouldn't wear no access without my lounge being slid out. Sounds mad design for a big van. I love the instant access when stopped for lunch etc. My layout works well with slide-out either in or out.
The 20-63.2 as you describe it unfortunately sounds too much like going back to the Swan or Flamingo.

I feel the same, I am not nocking it so please don't take it the wrong way.

Slide out's have there place and they offer a tonne of walking space which is unparalled in any van.

Here is why I am against it, I was at Jayco looking at the Expanda 20" and Starcraft 22".

Kids went into the expanda with the slide out and jumped in the bunk beds, I walked out the door and closed the slide out and walked away not remembering the kids where inside (How easy your forget).

Just as I was walking away I here the kids screaming to come and let them out lol.

Needless to say the family wants the starcraft now :) not necessarily because I left them in the van but more so we couldn't grasp the concept of not being able to get in / out of the van with the slide out closed!

You can get the expanda without the slide out so it is an optional extra.

Again its personal preference and as I said before it just doesn't suit me and my family due to the needs we have.

But if they could make a slide out with not blocking access i.e putting the door where the kitchen and next to the bunk entry door is and moving the kitchen up to where the slide out and door is I would wack my money out and get it in a heartbeat.

Again I am not bashing the 20" or the slide out as I have said from the outset everyone's needs are different.

We travel alot, which means anywhere from 2 days to a week + plus on the road which requires me to access the van 4 or 5 times a day for breaks, rest etc and I would love a slide out but not if I had to open it every time.

But its just a personal preference and every ones preference will be different but I think its important that people understand shutting the slide out renders access to the van impossible.

Last edited:

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
We have the 20/63-1 and love it are boys love the bunks we have the couch convertor as well so just depends if you need that extra bed three bunks bed out front and couch convertor that heaps but that extra bed be good if your got large family

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
No, that is not true. You can walk in to the van with the slide out in the closed position. With it closed you can get to the lounge, the tv cabinet and the main bed. You can sit in the lounge with the slde out in any position. Children and slim adults can get past the end of the lounge quite easily to access the rest of the van and for larger people it only needs to be slid out a couple of inches to get past.

Stating that it is impossible to even get in the van with the slide out retracted is at best a false impression or at worst an outright lie.

Last edited by a moderator: