18' Series New 18-58.2 OB. Optional extras

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Hi All,
Finally bit the bullet and ordered our first Expanda. We opted for the dinette option with ensuite as we go bush mostly and comes in handy with the kids. After reading all the great suggestions on this forum we opted for the usual extras such as,
-extend draw bar. -additional 12v/240v outlets
-drifter control panel. -TV antenna
-3rd water tank. -picnic table
-annex light on blind side. -solar upgrade to 150watt
-Also esc. -picnic table
-Anderson plug to fridge

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck when requesting a second external gas bayonet fitting at the rear of the van on annex side?Mr Jayco knocked me back, reason unknown.
I also asked that the water fill supply hoses and the toilet basin waste& water hoses can be left rolled up under the van not be connected, my reasoning for this is they run the hoses smack bang in the middle of the cupboard and shelves wasting heaps of usable storage. They said they would not do this for me, I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried requesting this before?
Thank you.

Reactions: formyfamily

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Congrats @Cutters welcome to the new wave of 18's you'll love it mate.

I also requested a second gas bayonet to be fitted to the rear and was told the same thing, reason was gas regulations. Not sure on what grounds, so I then asked for the bayonet to be fitted to the rear and they agreed.

Az

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Thanks AzHaych, I'm sure we will love it, we had a 1992 eagle for the last 5 years. Can't complain, it starved us well with load of great memories. We got 4 kids and no the youngest is 4 and it was becoming a little bit of a tight squeeze. So as you can imagine, we can't wait, looking forward to the less set up time and a little more room all round.
So they let you move the original fitting which is normally at the front to the back!! Go figure. I might ask for the same that way I can fit another in the fron if required and that would save me having to run the line all the way to the back :)

Thanks again

Reactions: dagree and AzHaych

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Hi All,
Finally bit the bullet and ordered our first Expanda. We opted for the dinette option with ensuite as we go bush mostly and comes in handy with the kids. After reading all the great suggestions on this forum we opted for the usual extras such as,
-Also esc. -picnic table
-Anderson plug to fridge

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any luck when requesting a second external gas bayonet fitting at the rear of the van on annex side?Mr Jayco knocked me back, reason unknown.
I also asked that the water fill supply hoses and the toilet basin waste& water hoses can be left rolled up under the van not be connected, my reasoning for this is they run the hoses smack bang in the middle of the cupboard and shelves wasting heaps of usable storage. They said they would not do this for me, I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried requesting this before?
Thank you.
We asked for second bayonet to be fitted to rear and were knocked back due to new regs
May have to get someone else to do it.The shower and kitchen are at the rear so the gas lines are there

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi All,
-Also esc. -picnic table
-Anderson plug to fridge

Thank you.
Hi @Cutters congrats on the new van. The dealer refused to put a second bayonet at the rear, so I did it myself yesterday. Ive not read the Gas Regs, but Im sure it doesn't say what I was told ... anyway, done now

I would imagine that stuff left unconnected would cause a large company like Jayco massive logistical issues with production line interpretation of exactly who wants what left off, and then loose track of who had what done, how to monitor the warranties etc, and the potential flow-on impact to other components after the customer starts playing with it at home ... as much as a PITA as that is for you guys, I can "sympathise" (and I use that term very loosely) with Jayco on that one

I basically ripped out the entire plumbing system in our 2014 Expanda and re-built it. Ive replace the filler pipes and mains etc for the same reasons, re-routed them so they leave the cabinet spare usable and equally important I run those lines along the wall to an area where I could pass them through the floor on the inside of the chassis so they all don't loop under the chassis rail. I also rebuilt the waste system so the entire sullage system exits the van from a single outlet.

What suburb are you guys

Reactions: Drover and Delano

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Hi Crusty, sounds like I'm going have to do the same thing. I'll see how we go for a while first, hopefully I'm worried about nothing, if I then need the room I'll do the mods. I personally enjoy getting hands on so repairs and modifications will be my forte. Being our first new van it would have been nice not to have to re-drill too many holes. But to your point, I agree, it would complicate things at the production plant.
Nether the less, great value vans, fit for purpose "we can't wait "
I live in Caroline Springs, out west.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I had a guy camped next to me the other day in a newer Expanda than mine and he asked if my shower overflows and floods the bathroom? I said no, then explained I re ran the drains and showed him that I also run into a bucket with a drain hose off the bucket.
I followed your lead on that one from your post some back .... Trialled the sump idea which worked a treat; then ran with your initial idea, ripped out the lot, pimped it up and injected some steroids. The sump shows in very visual terms just how pathetic the factory drainage system is @macca

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi Crusty, sounds like I'm going have to do the same thing. I'll see how we go for a while first, hopefully I'm worried about nothing, if I then need the room I'll do the mods. I personally enjoy getting hands on so repairs and modifications will be my forte. Being our first new van it would have been nice not to have to re-drill too many holes. But to your point, I agree, it would complicate things at the production plant.
Nether the less, great value vans, fit for purpose "we can't wait "
I live in Caroline Springs, out west.
It is fun buggering around with it. Extra holes in the floor inside cabinets is a minor price. In one under couch compartment, just by moving the battery 6 inches and re-routing the plumbing I have effectively gained 5ft cube of storage I didn't have before.

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Jayco just confirmed that they definitely bwill not move any hose work but they will do the second gas bayonet fitting at rear this will be done in- house at the dealer prior to hand over.

Reactions: Delano

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi All,
-Also esc. -picnic table
-Anderson plug to fridge

Thank you.
Hi Cutters.
Welcome and very nice choice of van.
Ours is due in November but this forum is great with keeping up with the progress of others, and the various options individuals have chosen.
We also asked for an additional gas fitting for the rear of the van, but we're told a flat NO. I didn't push it because I thought I'd just get a local guy to do it when the van arrivestł.

Keep us posted with the progress of your Panda.

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
I finally got them to agree to additional rear gas bayonet fitting. Seeing as they has noted I the schedule of sales extras and knocked me back on most of the other little bits and pieces I said surely you can at least come to the party with the gas fitting and have it done in house, and they agreed.
A small win but the one less thing I have to do, and yes Crusty, that was on a Saturday:)

Reactions: Crusty181

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Thank you Aussiejet, November, you just about on the home straight, I imagine would be close to final sigh off stage?. We have not had a date confirmed as they said there system will no show them past Christmas but estimate around Feburary. I'm not too fussed but before Easter would be great, fingers crossed.

Cutters

Apr 19, 2015
Victoria
Hi All,
Just a question about adding a 3rd water thank on a new 18.58-2. Has anyone out there had or is having this done? Was this done at Jayo during the vans production or was it done in house at the dealer of purchase? I've heard both of the above from 2 different dealers, surprise surprise! Just curious.

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
we asked dealers about a third tank and told no....

just a question, why do people want two gas points?
Hi guys.
I was looking at getting 2 gas outlets too, one at the front and one at the rear. Only because where we go at Christmas, our van would be near the road and prefer to have the bbq at the rear for a bit of privacy. In winter, we would like to bbq at the front of the van as the brick wall at the back of the site is a little cramped for the bbq.

The 2 gas points was to simply give us a little more flexibility when setting up.

Good to see you still posting though. You've been very quiet!!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
we asked dealers about a third tank and told no....

just a question, why do people want two gas points?
We use the rear one for the weber on short stays under the awning (No annexe setup) and the front one when the annexe is setup. Weber then gets setup under a gazebo.

Wazza

Oct 5, 2015
Perth
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and joined because people here seem to know what they are talking about.
Wife & I are looking to buy our first van and have decided a Jayco expanda pop top is what we want, probably the 18.58-2OB. When deciding on extras, what kind of things should we consider?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome @Wazza from another Perthite!!!!! Nah not really knowledgable... we just "wing it" ;)
Lots of options to go for. I'll start with a few and others will add to it:
Extended drawbar
Extra 12 and 240V powerpoints where you think you'll need them
2 x gas outlets if they'll do it
If you lived nearby @Crusty181 I'd say a diesel heater :behindsofa: (Ongoing joke!!!!)

Maybe do an introduction post and ask the question on there. That way you'll get replies on your own post making it easier to follow?