Nespresso power from inverter

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Yep big fish, my van has 100 ah battery, how do u turn setec unit off, I have a switch left of front of black setec front panel that turns battery off, is it just that switch, that would stop charge to battery from setec I guess, or could I leave on and charge batteries too, bit confused for my Sunday night brain.

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
Honestly, I don't think it would hurt to just ignore it to be honest. Would just stop a little current draw is all. Depends on how long you want it to run off the inverter really. I would only leave mine connected when I want to use microwave, TV or other appliances and then pull the plug to revert to the van battery.

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
When you run from the gennie to the van, it charges the van battery through the Setec - don't turn that off!

I'm just referring to running 240V from the inverter here of course.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I always thought switching the battery switch to "off" stopped charging of the battery from setec as well?

Reactions: Big Fish

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Following on from what Gibbo said.

Formula is P= I x V (Power= Current x Voltage)
or I=P/V
or V=P/I

So if your running a 1600W coffee machine

I=1600/240v
Equals - 6.67amp per hour but on 240v

if through a invertor
I=1600/12
Equals - 133.3 amp hours (remember over 60 min)
or 2.21 amps per minute

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Just reviving this old thread. I want to put an inverter in the back of the BT connected to my second battery also for a Nesspresso Pod machine i've picked up for free. It will be used for coffee machine and Ryobi battery chargers (drills etc) only.
The coffee machine is 1400W, but think a 1000W cont/2000W peak will be OK based on what others have said here. My main question is would i need a pure sine wave one or will a modified sine wave be OK?
Price is a fair bit different, thinking a Projecta 1000W modified like this...........

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA...12?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4178bed61c

:help:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
12V yes........ Modified or Pure?????? I'll leave that to others with experience on that side!!!!

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I have come into this thread very late and have two things to contribute.

1. If you want good coffee on a gas burner the best way we have found is an Italian Bialetti which does fantastic coffee. We have a 6 cup and have used it when travelling. At home we have a nice Breville dual boiler coffee machine which makes great coffee, but in the van we have always used the Bialetti and it makes very good coffee, better than most coffee shops (if you use quality freshly ground coffee).
The Bialetti 6 cups are 6 short blacks so for two of us we have two mugs of coffee out of one pot. If you want more coffees I suggest the 12 cup Bialetti. It works nicely on a gas burner, if you want a flat white just microwave the milk and add the short blacks from the Bialetti. If away from 240V we just carefully heat the milk on another gas burner, while being very careful not to boil the milk.

http://www.bialetti.com/www.bialett...-1_7_22.html?zenid=87p151ki41jkso9esr3mccd9a5
They often can be picked up in most good coffee roasters and larger retail stores or online.

2. With inverters there are two types full sine wave and modified sine wave, full sine wave are much more expensive, but are more versatile especially for running computers, etc. Waeco and Xantrex make good pure sine wave inverters, Waeco is about half the price of the Xantrex and the comparison of the two is a bit like Holden vs Mercedes. There are some good Chinese pure sine wave inverters, a lot cheaper, but a bit of a lottery.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-products/power-inverters/prosine.aspx
http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=13869

Both inverters are sometimes cheaper on eBay, but make sure they are 12V to 240V (not 110V) models.

Good coffee and good leaf tea (not tea bags or instant coffee) are always worth the trouble, life is too short to drink rubbish.
A bit like wine, all alcohol is poison so only drink good quality poison that tastes great.

Regards
Terry

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
for a 1400w coffee machine i would run a 2000w inverter, and seeing the nesspresso machines have smarts in them i would get a pure sine wave.
Remember 'Pay once Cry once"
I had a 2000w pure and it didnt like the 1800w kettle, sold it with the camper.

Reactions: yabbietol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
i have tried the air con off the inverter and it does run, but i would only get 2-3 hours of the air con with the solar panels in full sun before the battery was flat. however with more panels i could run the air con all day from solar.

:bump::bump::bump:

Can anyone give an update on the Bialetti coffee maker??

I'm seriously considering one to buy as a Christmas present but not sure if or how superior to the old stovetop coffee percolator thingy from the old days.

(I've totally ditched the inverter option but, thinking about it, want to ensure we have a good coffee option when off the grid.

All help appreciated.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We use a stainless steel plunger which allows us to select our own coffee and as strong (or weak) as we like.

s-l200.jpg

Reactions: Dobbie

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Just got given a jetboil with a coffee press option. Boils a liter in 1 min then coffee soon after brilliant

Reactions: Dobbie

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Travelling right now and still using our Bialetti and it is making great coffe. We have the induction version and it runs on our $50 ebay induction hot plate really well, real coffee in a couple of minutes. We are using Cosmorx coffee finely ground and in two weeks of travel have found only one coffee place that came close to our home (caravan) coffee, it was in Broken Hill and using Belaroma coffee and had a good barista.
Note our Bialetti also works fine on our gas burner. Plunger coffee is coarser grind and lower pressure, tends to miss some of the yummier alkaloids. Good coffee needs to be good quality arabica beans, fresh, correct grind and get enough steam pressure to release all its flavours.
Like all things coffee is a matter for each individual. I won't start about tea, I have heard some people use tea bags not real loose leaf tea in a pot! :behindsofa: