Landrover Discovery TDV6 or SDV6 to tow 20 foot outback Expanda?

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Just ordered a new Expanda and need to upgrade our tow vehicle. We currently havea 15month old diesel Ford Territory.
Looking at a Landrover Discovery but don't know if we should pay an extra $11,000 for the more powerful engine? Will it make a big difference. We can afford it (if we look at the ig picture!) and I prefer more power and I guess it will give a better resale value?
Any thoughts?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Kate sounds like you half answered your question there?

There s few Disco guys on here who will give you a better idea. But more power never hurt when it comes to towing IMO.

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
Is the sdv6 petrol? I have a 2008 disco 3 se petrol and it tows great and believe it or not its fairly economical.

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
My father purchased a TD last year to tow his van, he is wrapped in it. Especially going from a 100 series v8 petrol cruiser he's loving the fuel economy. He hasn't whinged it lacks power though, from what i heard its the same 3.0l twin setup just detuned and if you are willing to spend only a couple grand more to chip it up to the higher specs

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Being a girl and not a rev head, I don't follow all the car technical stuff, but we did order the SDV (purely based on more power and better resale and we screwed them down a long way on the extra cost). I LOVE the sound of twin turbo, if it is that!!! Towing a 3000kg van makes me a bit nervous so more power is good (not for more speed obviously).

What speed should be our max, towing 3000kg with the Discovery SDV6? I would like to put hubby on a speed limit of 90kmh or is this too slow for the straight highways?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I'll throw this one in to confuse matters.....

The 2.7l engine used in the Ford Territory for the last few years is the same TD2.7 that LR used till this year.
Both also use the same gear box......
(FYI - so do Jags)

Interestingly though, the Territory has only a 2300kg tow limit, so must come down to the chassis design not coping with more.

Reactions: Kate File

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Yes, the tow limit was a serious problem!
But we fell in love with the idea of a full van rather than poptop, with bunks for the kids, so bought the new van, knowing it would lead to a new car.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Being a girl and not a rev head, I don't follow all the car technical stuff, but we did order the SDV (purely based on more power and better resale and we screwed them down a long way on the extra cost). I LOVE the sound of twin turbo, if it is that!!! Towing a 3000kg van makes me a bit nervous so more power is good (not for more speed obviously).

What speed should be our max, towing 3000kg with the Discovery SDV6? I would like to put hubby on a speed limit of 90kmh or is this too slow for the straight highways?

You'll be governed by how much fuel you'll use more so than the capability of the car. I've overtaken a B-Double while towing the 17' only to look down and realise I hit 140km/h doing so - with more power to spare.
90km/h will be a nice fuel usage, 100km/h is a bit of jump, and 110km/h a big jump.

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
What speed should be our max, towing 3000kg with the Discovery SDV6? I would like to put hubby on a speed limit of 90kmh or is this too slow for the straight highways?[/QUOTE]

With the 17.56-1 I sit on 100 on the highways and average around 14.5L/100K.

Just another thing you will need to consider, the Jayco has LED lights on the van, so you will need to get resistors put on to the caravan so the Discovery recognises that a caravan is connected. UNLESS this has been fixed now on the newer Discovery model (not sure if it has), check with the Land Rover dealer.

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
@Flanders We are getting next week a module for the Disco3.. Was looking to get a load resistor and auto elect from Jayco dealer said there is a module for the car instead. Yes wonder if its been fixed.

@davemc I looked at the car things but they were a bit big and bulky. You had to fix this electric box thingy between the car and trailer plug to the drawbar, they may have changed now though. They were also about $250-300 bucks from memory. The resistors cost me $50 installed by the jayco dealer and haven't missed a beat.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'll throw this one in to confuse matters.....

The 2.7l engine used in the Ford Territory for the last few years is the same TD2.7 that LR used till this year.
Both also use the same gear box......
(FYI - so do Jags)

Interestingly though, the Territory has only a 2300kg tow limit, so must come down to the chassis design not coping with more.
If you bought the AWD version of the Territory you got a 2700kg towing limit.